1-minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
SlowCyclist1

Post by SlowCyclist1 »

I recorded a few things for Librivox 5 years ago but had to stop. Given that, and that I'm using different equipment, I thought it best to submit a new 1-minute test. I am using a Windows laptop, a nice mic someone gave me, (Audio Technica 3035) through a Rode interface. This is the raw file (no amplification). Checker says it's at 65.5 db. https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_slowcyclist1.mp3 Your assessment will be greatly appreciated!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

SlowCyclist1 wrote: February 25th, 2024, 4:33 pm I recorded a few things for Librivox 5 years ago but had to stop. Given that, and that I'm using different equipment, I thought it best to submit a new 1-minute test. I am using a Windows laptop, a nice mic someone gave me, (Audio Technica 3035) through a Rode interface. This is the raw file (no amplification). Checker says it's at 65.5 db. https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_slowcyclist1.mp3 Your assessment will be greatly appreciated!
Welcome back, Nancy!

Your voice is pleasant and animated, and your test meets all but one of the requirements: volume. Librivox requires the volume of all files to be between 86 and 92 dB, with the ideal being 89-90 dB. I suspect that if you try to amplify this recording by that much, you'll also greatly amplify any background noise and it may sound distorted, so it's probably best to re-record after increasing your input gain (on your mic/interface and in the program you're using).

If you're using the latest version of Audacity, the volume portion of this post may be helpful.

Please re-record your test with a higher volume and repost it here. I'll come back and have a listen.

Thanks,
Winnifred
SlowCyclist1

Post by SlowCyclist1 »

Thank you very much, Winnifred. I will re-record.