[PSYCHOLOGY] The Emotions, by James McCosh -brrot

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
sweetnecromancy84

Post by sweetnecromancy84 »

InTheDesert wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 6:43 pm Section 6 is once again available to be claimed.
Hi! I'm very sorry, I have been a bit busy and am new to recording. I should have realized that I only had one month to record this item, not two. That's my fault. But I am still willing to record it, if it hasn't yet been reassigned. I could even attempt to do it tonight.
sweetnecromancy84

Post by sweetnecromancy84 »

Hi again!

I have recorded Section 6, very late, sorry. But it's there, if you want it:

https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/emotions_6_mccosh_128kb.mp3

Duration: 14.35.9

Best,
Lara
villalv

Post by villalv »

Hello,
I'd like to claim section 14 of The Emotions please.
- Thanks! Virginia
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

villalv wrote: May 9th, 2024, 4:03 am Hello,
I'd like to claim section 14 of The Emotions please.
- Thanks! Virginia
Welcome to Librivox (again), Virginia!
It would be great to have you record section 14 for this project (Emotions). It looks like you've just passed your 1 minute test recording which means you are ready to go. Don't forget in all future recordings to make any changes that were suggested when you did the test recording (eg: if you needed to amplify, you'll need to do that for every section you submit).

In order to assign a section to you in the Magic Window (MW) of this project, I've entered you into the database of readers. Your reader page is accessible here and a list of your assigned sections is here (you might want to bookmark it). Your claim is confirmed - you have one month to submit section 14. Looking forward to hearing your section and have you help out with this project!

Some common questions that new readers ask:
  • Footnotes: They are optional. You can read all, some or none. An easy way to mark them is to say 'footnote' then read the footnote then say 'end footnote'.
  • Quotes: You can mark these by saying 'quote' then reading the quote and then saying 'end quote'. You can decide whether to say quote at all - sometimes it will be clear from context. I'd suggest saying it if the quotation spans multiple sentences.
  • Non-English phrases: We do have to read them. You could 1) pronounce it however you want 2) post in this thread and ask for someone to record it for you so you can either mimic it or splice it into your own recording 3) try Forvo for individual words or the sound icon on Google Translate for a text to speech version to copy.
  • Roman numerals: Read these as their corresponding number.
  • Abbreviations: You can choose to expand these or not to. You could say 'e.g' or 'for example'.
  • Heading numbering: Sometimes books use roman numerals and digits for two different levels of headings. I think a good solution to this is to say 'first, second' etc. for roman numeral headings (I, II etc.) and 'one, two' etc. for digit headings (1, 2 etc.).
villalv

Post by villalv »

Thank you! I've downloaded the checker app and hooked up an actual microphone. Made a big difference in getting a pass on my test. I'll run a few sentences before I record. Thanks for all of the helpful narrating advice.

Virginia
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

This section hasn't been proof-listened yet but here are the technical notes. Could you resolve the technical issues and then re-upload the file before prooflistening?
  • We need 5 seconds of silence at the end of each Librivox track (or as close as you can make it). Currently, it's about 1 at the end.
rustypistolsonlib

Post by rustypistolsonlib »

Hi:

May I request Section 9?

Thanks!
Rusty
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

rustypistolsonlib wrote: May 13th, 2024, 7:47 am Hi:

May I request Section 9?

Thanks!
Rusty
Appreciated, rustypistolsonlib!
rustypistolsonlib

Section 9 - Fourth Element: the Organic Affection Part 1, uploaded at https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/emotions_9_mccosh_128kb.mp3
Duration: 23:39 min

Thanks,
Rusty
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

This section hasn't been proof-listened yet but here are the technical notes. Could you resolve the technical issues and then re-upload the file before prooflistening?
  • We need 0.75 seconds of silence at the start of each Librivox track (or as close as you can make it). Currently, it's about 2 at the start.
rustypistolsonlib

Addition 1.25 seconds shaved off the start.

The recording is until p.100, finishes a partial sentence off the p100 into the first line of p101.

Updated:
Section 9 - Fourth Element: the Organic Affection Part 1, uploaded at https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/emotions_9_mccosh_128kb.mp3
Duration: 23:38 min

Cheers :)
/Rusty
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

rustypistolsonlib wrote: Yesterday, 12:25 am Addition 1.25 seconds shaved off the start.

The recording is until p.100, finishes a partial sentence off the p100 into the first line of p101.

Updated:

/Rusty
Hi Rusty! Great job with this recording. Just a few edits please, but first let's check with ITD regarding the notes in the MW.

ITD - Rusty followed the MW and read the pages noted (88-100, actually 1st sentence on 101), but those don't match the other note to stop before VII (which ends on page 98). Essentially he's added VII and half of VIII to section 9. Would you like it to stay as is, or should those portions be removed? I see that section 10 hasn't been claimed yet, so hopefully this will avoid duplication.

Edits -
16:53 - repeat of "There are other signs which are natural, and, unless repressed, universal. The leaning forward of the body denotes interest in the person or object. The nodding of the head is understood as assent. On the other hand, the turning of the body or of the head expresses aversion or denial. The frown on the brow indicates displeasure..."
15:43 - omitted "End of footnote" before VI
11:46 - omitted "End of footnote" before IV
2:00 - static heard during: " For the present, it is of importance that psychologists should pursue their observations with' consciousness as agent,"
1:10 - static heard during: "Male-branche would call it the occasion "
1:06 - omitted "reaching" from "...death as reaching the ear is merely the mean..."
0:56 - Static heard during: "They speak as if, when a mother faints on hearing that her son has been drowned,"
~Traveling May 20-29. I will catch up upon my return for any PLs, etc.~

Cheers, Claire
I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers
Great Events in North & South America
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

rustypistolsonlib wrote: Yesterday, 12:25 am Addition 1.25 seconds shaved off the start.

Updated:

/Rusty
Would you like to pick up section 10 as well, then you can start where you left off from section 9 without us having to adjust anything?
rustypistolsonlib

Sure.

Thanks!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

rustypistolsonlib wrote: Yesterday, 8:34 pm Sure.

Thanks!
Done!

We are ready for Readers Found.