[COMPLETE] Five Little Peppers in the Little Brown House by Margaret Sidney - loa

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Five Little Peppers in the Little Brown House, by Margaret Sidney (1844 - 1924)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/five-little-peppers-in-the-little-brown-house-by-margaret-sidney/

“What ever became of Polly Pepper’s famous Chicken Pie, and also Phronsie’s red-topped shoes?” the friends of the “Five Little Peppers” keep asking. “We have searched through all the Pepper Books, and cannot find them. Please give us those two stories again.”

At last all these requests are granted in this book, containing, first of all, those two stories that make the very beginning of all the records of the Pepper Family. Indeed, there wasn’t any Pepper Family before they were written; nor any Little Brown House, not a sign of one; nor any Badgertown even, till Margaret Sidney one day wrote “Polly Pepper’s Chicken Pie” and sent it to the Wide Awake Magazine.

And no one could be more astonished than was she—for the record was so simple—when the editor wrote for another one just like it. So “Phronsie Pepper’s New Shoes” was written.

And then—well, the editor wrote that the Wide Awake must have enough stories for one year, to be connected. So Margaret Sidney had to go regularly after that to the “Little Brown House” and write down all the records just as Mrs. Pepper and the Five Little Peppers told them to her, and then those insatiable editors wrote that they must have a book—nothing more nor less—because the children’s letters to them from all over the country demanded it. So that was the way it all began. And of course the two separate stories—the motif, as it were, for the book—had to be left out.

So here they are now in the post of honor—leading off in the very front of the volume, as is quite proper; the other stories (which are all just newly written expressly for this book) following humbly after in the wake of Phronsie’s red-topped shoes.

(Summary from the Preface by Margaret Sidney)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/71128

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record. Please read the chapter number/name exactly as they are in the Magic Window.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Family

Keywords that describe the book: children's story, juvenile fiction, five little peppers

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Five Little Peppers in the Little Brown House. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Five Little Peppers in the Little Brown House, by Margaret Sidney. Chapter Title."

Please note: Start and end your recordings with "Chapter 1, 2, ... 7.1, 7.2," etc., as set out in the Magic Window, not "Section 1, 2," etc. Check also to see where to end or start your reading for those chapters that are split in two.
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Five Little Peppers in the Little Brown House, by Margaret Sidney."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: littlebrownhouse_##_sidney_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. littlebrownhouse_01_sidney_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: lorda

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by Winnifred on March 2nd, 2024, 4:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

To the kind MC who picks this up, I shortened the file name considerably (down to "littlebrownhouse") as the full title is quite a mouthful. Let me know if you think I've cut too much.

I used the Preface as a summary, so I don't think there's any need to include it as a section in the book.

I notice that some Librivox projects include the author's name in the Subject box, and some do not. I'm not sure what the criteria are for leaving it out. If you think this title is too long, I'd be fine with removing it. It really only needs to appear once.

I split all chapters over 7,000 words into two parts. This, of course, means that the section and chapter numbers won't coincide after Chapter 7.1. I tried to make that as clear as possible in my first post. Let me know if there's anything more I can do to clarify that.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ej400 wrote: January 14th, 2024, 5:37 pm YES YES YES, I love these books. May I DPL? :mrgreen:
I'd only just barely finished posting this project, Elijah! :lol: Yes, of course you may DPL. Tilde gone now.

Thanks!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

Hi Winnifred, I can MC this project for you.
Give me a moment and I'll come back with the MW.
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 2 Rollen frei
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

Hi Winnifred,

the MW is ready to get filled.

I've added ej400 as DPL.
To the kind MC who picks this up, I shortened the file name considerably (down to "littlebrownhouse") as the full title is quite a mouthful. Let me know if you think I've cut too much.

I used the Preface as a summary, so I don't think there's any need to include it as a section in the book.

I notice that some Librivox projects include the author's name in the Subject box, and some do not. I'm not sure what the criteria are for leaving it out. If you think this title is too long, I'd be fine with removing it. It really only needs to appear once.

I split all chapters over 7,000 words into two parts. This, of course, means that the section and chapter numbers won't coincide after Chapter 7.1. I tried to make that as clear as possible in my first post. Let me know if there's anything more I can do to clarify that.
That's all OK.

If the MW is filled I'll move the project to 'Readers Wanted: Books'. Have fun.

Greetings, Bernd. :)
Bernd

reader page of lorda

lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

I just seen this will be version 2 - is that OK?

Add: Sorry I was wrong, its an other book (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/49471)
So, no version 2. :oops:
Bernd

reader page of lorda

yanars1

Post by yanars1 »

Hi! I would like to be a DPL.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

yanars1 wrote: January 15th, 2024, 9:19 am Hi! I would like to be a DPL.
Thanks yanars1, but ej400 got there ahead of you (see above).

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

lorda wrote: January 15th, 2024, 1:45 am I just seen this will be version 2 - is that OK?

Add: Sorry I was wrong, its an other book (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/49471)
So, no version 2. :oops:
Yes, there are two Five Little Peppers books with Little Brown House in the title. Very confusing!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Thanks, Berndt for agreeing to MC this book. Good to have you on board!

I've now filled in the Magic Window, and we're ready for readers. I hope I've provided the right amount of detail for the split chapters. I suppose we'll find out when they start coming in.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

Project moved. :wink:
Bernd

reader page of lorda

bhelensears

Post by bhelensears »

Hi,

I would like to read Chapters 1 and 2 if still available.

Helen
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

bhelensears wrote: January 16th, 2024, 11:57 am Hi,

I would like to read Chapters 1 and 2 if still available.

Helen
Hi Helen,

They're all yours! Thanks for making the first claim in this project.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
MooMin08

Post by MooMin08 »

Hello, can I try reading chapters 3 & 4, please. Thanks!