OPEN [DR] Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms by Harriet Lummis Smith - rap

Plays and other dramatic works
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms, by Harriet Lummis Smith (1866 - 1947)
Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms, sometimes subtitled The Third Glad Book, is the third novel in the Pollyanna series and the first written by African-American author Harriet Lummis Smith. Eleanor H. Porter, the author of the first two books, died in 1920, after which the publisher recruited Smith to continue the series on the strength of her success as the author of the Peggy Raymond series, another series of novels targeted at a young female audience. Although Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms did not achieve the popularity that Porter’s two Pollyanna novels did, this third Glad Book was sufficiently successful that the publisher retained Smith for an additional three Pollyanna novels. Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms was first published in 1924, nine years after the publication of the second Glad Book, Pollyanna Grows Up. Smith picks up the narrative where Porter left off, starting with the wedding of Pollyanna and Jimmy and proceeding to detail their early married life. The title of this novel refers to the tradition of brides wearing orange blossoms. The first, second, and third Pollyanna novels were published before, during, and after World War I respectively, and the war begins to figure in Pollyanna’s story in this third novel. Although most of the supporting characters from the first two Glad Books appear in this third instalment, they generally play minor roles, with this book’s supporting characters being of Smith’s invention. While the central action of the original Pollyanna novel takes place in the fictional town of Beldingsville, Vermont and the second novel is primarily set in Boston, Massachusetts, the main setting of this third novel is New York, New York. A New York Times reviewer wrote that “Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms is considerably more true to life and a better book than its predecessors.” (Summary by David Purdy)
Gender-specific casting. Prooflistening will be word perfect. We are not accepting duplicate claims at this time.

Source text: https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20220545

COLOUR-CODED TEXT (please read only from this text!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1H9B6LBuUwjAobaiUaTFvJmPpRa8xHoyx?usp=sharing

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Word Perfect
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/General; Dramatic Readings; General Fiction/Published 1900 onward; Romance
Keywords that describe the book: World War I, New York City, newlyweds
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per chapter. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms, by Harriet Lummis Smith. Chapter # [title] "
At the end of each file say:
"End of chapter #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms by Harriet Lummis Smith."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: pollyannaoftheorangeblossoms_role_##.mp3 where ## is the chapter number. (e.g. pollyannaoftheorangeblossoms_pollyanna_01.mp3)
For final files: pollyannaoftheorangeblossoms_##_smith_128kb.mp3 where ## is the chapter number. (e.g. pollyannaoftheorangeblossoms_01_smith_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by Salvationist on January 27th, 2024, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

It's time for another Pollyanna DR! In addition to being BC and editor, I will portray Jimmy Pendleton. Jim Hedrick has kindly agreed to narrate. I am pleased to report that Jenn Broda, WendyKatzHiller, oogiesragdoll, and Marie Christian have agreed to reprise their roles from the Pollyanna Grows Up DR (Pollyanna, Polly Chilton, Nancy, and Sadie respectively).
Salvationist

brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

I would like to volunteer for DPL.
Best,
Christine
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

brownrottger wrote: January 10th, 2024, 6:36 pm I would like to volunteer for DPL.
Best,
Christine
Thank you very much, Christine! It is good to be working with you on another project.
Salvationist

jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Oh, yay! So excited to see this has launched! Looking forward to voicing Pollyanna again :9:
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Could I please put my hand up for Mrs. Tibbetts? She sounds wonderfully fierce!

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Winnifred wrote: January 11th, 2024, 10:14 pm Could I please put my hand up for Mrs. Tibbetts? She sounds wonderfully fierce!

Thanks,
I will be glad to sign you up once we have an MC and an MW. Welcome to the cast, Winnifred!
Salvationist

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hello, team! Let me MC this project, I'll go get you a Magic Window!
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Rapunzelina wrote: January 13th, 2024, 9:28 am Hello, team! Let me MC this project, I'll go get you a Magic Window!
Thank you very much for becoming our MC, Rapunzelina! I anticipate being able to populate the MW on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Salvationist

yanars1

Post by yanars1 »

HI I would like to be a DPL!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

yanars1 wrote: January 15th, 2024, 9:37 am HI I would like to be a DPL!
Hi and welcome to Librivox! This project already had a DPL. When a project has a DPL, you'll see this sentence in the Magic Window, just above the Sections Table "This project has a dedicated proof-listener who will listen to all sections". :wink:
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

I have populated the MW! I had to add 24 extra sections; I initially forgot about the "completed file" sections. I believe this project is ready to migrate off the launch pad. :D
Salvationist

norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

May I read Milly Snow?
~Norah Leigh ~
"Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen!" Luke 24:5-6
[DR, Children]The Box-Car Children (Only 6 small roles open!)
[Group, History]In the Days of Queen Elizabeth (Full)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

You can put me in for Mr. Moore, if you like.
The color is a little faint for my eyes, but I think I can manage.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Just moved to Readers Wanted!