OPEN[PLAY]The Basset-Table by Centlivre - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
valroth

Post by valroth »

Hi Todd,

Hurray for another Centlivre play! May I claim Lady Reveller?

Happy New Year to all,

Val
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

May I claim Valeria?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Kitty wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 12:18 pm And never my husband ? You already forgot about RB

Sonia
Ah, but RB is only a future husband to EBB—and only that because we know the end of the story. They're not even affianced at the period we've reached.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 2:24 pmAct 2 is perfect, and a great reason to rejoice for not being your husband! Huzzah - (oh, oh. You have spotted me and gotten between me and the door. Drat!)
:lol: just biding my time for the next occasion
Act 3 - @1:27, line missed at top of page 234: "He did not die?"
oops and I even read it in my preparation, but missed it in the recording. Here it is at 1:28:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bassettable_mrssago_3.mp3
Recording time: 2:00 min.
Act 5 - contrite and sincere? Ha! But I suppose if I am rid of you, thank goodness, then all's well enough!
yes, I well noticed that Sir James only played the benefactor because he didn't want to have Mrs Sago on his hands anymore :evil:

thanks for the quick PL and I am glad you liked it. I think with this one I got a bit more over the top than usual. I love dramaqueens :lol:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Beeswaxcandle wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 9:33 pmAh, but RB is only a future husband to EBB—and only that because we know the end of the story. They're not even affianced at the period we've reached.
true, point taken...though I think by the time we are at, they already felt pretty much affianced. They just didn't make it official, for obvious reasons.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you all for the claims.

(and what is this secret code of EBs and RBs? Mystery!)

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 4th, 2024, 5:43 am(and what is this secret code of EBs and RBs? Mystery!)
Beeswaxcandle agreed to woo me in over 400 letters, this is going on for quite some time :lol:
viewtopic.php?t=99818

Sonia
AgnesRobert

Post by AgnesRobert »

hello, could I please be

Servant, Act 2

and I see there are eight people crammed into the first two half pages, so would it be useful for me to also be one of them?
perhaps all one line of 1st Footman, Act 1
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
valroth

Post by valroth »

Todd or Sonia! These names and pronunciations have stumped me already. Any idea how to pronounce the name Alpiew? Maybe “Al-pew?” That doesn’t sound very polite! :D

Val
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

valroth wrote: January 4th, 2024, 1:36 pmTodd or Sonia! These names and pronunciations have stumped me already. Any idea how to pronounce the name Alpiew? Maybe “Al-pew?” That doesn’t sound very polite! :D
Why would this be impolite ? :hmm: but then again, the people in this play are not very polite anyway :lol:

I at least also said Al (like Alan) and pew (rhyming with few). But as long as you always pronounce it the same way during your character performance, I think everything is ok.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: January 4th, 2024, 1:49 pm But as long as you always pronounce it the same way during your character performance, I think everything is ok.

Sonia
This is what I think too.

Thanks, Todd
valroth

Post by valroth »

Kitty wrote: January 4th, 2024, 1:49 pm
valroth wrote: January 4th, 2024, 1:36 pmTodd or Sonia! These names and pronunciations have stumped me already. Any idea how to pronounce the name Alpiew? Maybe “Al-pew?” That doesn’t sound very polite! :D
Why would this be impolite ? :hmm: but then again, the people in this play are not very polite anyway :lol:

I at least also said Al (like Alan) and pew (rhyming with few). But as long as you always pronounce it the same way during your character performance, I think everything is ok.

Sonia
Quite true Sonia! Okay I’ll keep it consistent! (And try not to stink this up!) :lol:
mcalvo

Post by mcalvo »

Here's the Prologue in Act 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bassettable_buckle_1.mp3 [02:01]

I'll look to record the rest of Buckle's lines in the coming days. Please reach out if I need to make adjustments.