COMPLETE Billy Mink by Thornton W. Burgess-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

Billy Mink by Thornton W. Burgess, by Thornton Burgess (1874 - 1965)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/billy-mink-by-thornton-w-burgess-2/

Volunteers outside the USA: Thornton Burgess died in 1965. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
This is a story of the adventures of Billy Mink as he leaves the smiling pool in search of a new home.
Join him as he faces the robber rats, escapes traps and more. (Summary by The Countess)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/65308

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Billy Mink. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Billy Mink by Thornton Burgess. Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Billy Mink by Thornton Burgess."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: billymink_##_burgess_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. billymink_01_burgess_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: maryannspiegel
BC- thecountess
DPL- ej400
Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by thecountess on December 16th, 2023, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Just to be sure you know: this would be version 2, as we do already have this book in the catalog.

We certainly allow multiple versions, but some readers will prefer to read something that hasn't been done before. :wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

redrun wrote: December 13th, 2023, 1:34 pm Just to be sure you know: this would be version 2, as we do already have this book in the catalog.

We certainly allow multiple versions, but some readers will prefer to read something that hasn't been done before. :wink:
Okay, thanks for letting me know! I think I will go ahead with it. :mrgreen:

~ The Countess
victoriaalicebell

Post by victoriaalicebell »

If you are taking early claims, could I have chapter 24?
Thanks,
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

victoriaalicebell wrote: December 14th, 2023, 6:12 am If you are taking early claims, could I have chapter 24?
Thanks,
Thank you! You certainly may have chapter 24! :D
I will assign it to you as soon as I have a MW.

~ The Countess
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Could I have chapters 36, 37, 38, and 39. They are all relating to any adventure with Jumper.

Thanks

M
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

mleigh wrote: December 14th, 2023, 12:21 pm Could I have chapters 36, 37, 38, and 39. They are all relating to any adventure with Jumper.

Thanks

M
Yes, thank you! :mrgreen:
I have marked those chapters down.

~ The Countess
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Could I take Chapters 1, 2, and 3? (At this rate, the Magic Window will be full before it appears!)

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I would be happy to DPL this.

Small note, if you are in need of a DPL, do add a tilde ~ into the title before the [Group], so like ~[Group] so DPL's will attract by seeing the tilde.

Elijah
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

Winnifred wrote: December 14th, 2023, 3:14 pm Could I take Chapters 1, 2, and 3? (At this rate, the Magic Window will be full before it appears!)

Thanks,
:lol: Yes, you may!

~ The Countess
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

ej400 wrote: December 14th, 2023, 5:22 pm I would be happy to DPL this.

Small note, if you are in need of a DPL, do add a tilde ~ into the title before the [Group], so like ~[Group] so DPL's will attract by seeing the tilde.

Elijah
Thank you so much!
And thanks for telling me about the tilde. :D
I will store that piece of info for next time I need a DPL.

~ The Countess
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Countess,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, your MW is ready.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.
Note that passwords for the magic window and the forum are not connected. You can use the same password in both places (I think a lot of people do), but if you change it on one system, it won't affect the password on the other system.

You did a great job setting up your first group project! Just a couple of notes:

- next time, only put the title in the title field on the template generator. Our system will automatically add the author where it is needed

- it is helpful if you add some descriptor to the thread title, in addition to "group". I've added Children. Some people seek out children's books to read, so this will help them quickly find you.

- I've adjusted the disclaimer a bit. I think you want people saying "Chapter 1" at the beginning of the section (not "section 1"), so I've made that clear in the disclaimer. If you have a project where the chapter numbers and section numbers don't align, then it's good to have people say the section # in the disclaimer. That generally happens with long chapters that need to be split, but I don't think that will be an issue with a children's book, so we'll go with "chapter #" in the intro and outro.

- I've started filling in the MW for you to show you how it should go. I don't ever put the chapter numbers in the section title when the chapter numbers and the section numbers are the same (again, because there are no chapters so long that they need to be split over multiple sections). It looks nicer that way on Archive and the LV catalog page when the project is finished.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

MaryAnn
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: December 15th, 2023, 5:06 pm OK, your MW is ready.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.
Note that passwords for the magic window and the forum are not connected. You can use the same password in both places (I think a lot of people do), but if you change it on one system, it won't affect the password on the other system.

You did a great job setting up your first group project! Just a couple of notes:

- next time, only put the title in the title field on the template generator. Our system will automatically add the author where it is needed

- it is helpful if you add some descriptor to the thread title, in addition to "group". I've added Children. Some people seek out children's books to read, so this will help them quickly find you.

- I've adjusted the disclaimer a bit. I think you want people saying "Chapter 1" at the beginning of the section (not "section 1"), so I've made that clear in the disclaimer. If you have a project where the chapter numbers and section numbers don't align, then it's good to have people say the section # in the disclaimer. That generally happens with long chapters that need to be split, but I don't think that will be an issue with a children's book, so we'll go with "chapter #" in the intro and outro.

- I've started filling in the MW for you to show you how it should go. I don't ever put the chapter numbers in the section title when the chapter numbers and the section numbers are the same (again, because there are no chapters so long that they need to be split over multiple sections). It looks nicer that way on Archive and the LV catalog page when the project is finished.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

MaryAnn
Thank you so much!
I will read the two links you sent me and started on the MW.
And thank you for all of the info. :9: :mrgreen:
~ The Countess
Last edited by thecountess on January 18th, 2024, 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

I have just finished filling in the MW and assigning the chapters.
If I made any mistakes please tell me. :)

~ The Countess