[Christianity] The True Spouse of Jesus Christ or, The Nun Sanctified by the Virtues of Her State - rr

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
ej400

Post by ej400 »

The True Spouse of Jesus Christ or, The Nun Sanctified by the Virtues of Her State, by St. Alphonsus Liguori (1696 - 1787)
Authors Preface
This work, as appears from the title, is intended particularly for Nuns. However, only a small portion of it is directed exclusively to them; the remainder, but especially what regards the observance of the vows of religion, regular discipline, and the perfection of the religious state, is equally suited to Religious of all denominations; and what regards the Christians virtues, will be found highly useful even for seculars.
To each chapter I have annexed prayers, replete with pious affections, knowing that such prayers are very acceptable to Religious who seek perfection. For, as St. Denis the Areopagite says, Divine Love consists in the affections of the heart more than in the knowledge of the understanding. In human sciences, knowledge excites love; but in the science of the saints, love produces knowledge. He that loves God most, knows Him best. Besides, it is not lofty and fruitless conceptions, but works, that unite the soul to God, and make it rich in merits before the Lord. (Summary by Saint Alphonsus Liguori)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/truespousechrist00liguuoft/page/n11/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other

Keywords that describe the book: Jesus, christian, religious

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section #[number listed in the MW] of The True Spouse of Jesus Christ or, The Nun Sanctified by the Virtues of Her State, by Saint Alphonsus Liguori. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The True Spouse of Jesus Christ or, The Nun Sanctified by the Virtues of Her State, by Saint Alphonsus Liguori. Chapter or section title."
For example:
- "Section #" would be "Section 17", as that's the section number in the Magic Window.
- "Chapter or Section Title." would be "Chapter 8 - Section 2 - On the mortification of the appetite", as that's the title in the Magic Window.

End of recording:
Say:
"End of section#." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The True Spouse of Jesus Christ or, The Nun Sanctified by the Virtues of Her State, by Saint Alphonsus Liguori, by St. Alphonsus Liguori."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: truespouse_##_liguori_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. truespouse_01_liguori_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: redrun

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by ej400 on December 10th, 2023, 2:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Would like to revive this abandoned solo viewtopic.php?t=90255 (and use that file there), into a group project here.

Should be a good one. I will need a DPL, (and MC of course :mrgreen: ) planning on reading a little myself here :thumbs:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Well, I've never revived a project before. I'll consult the SOPs, and get back to you with your MW. I'm also adjusting the file name in this project to match the old one. Much shorter.

Update: Magic Window is in place, and you have access!
You will definitely want to adjust the intro/outro instructions for this book! Each chapter may be a regular chapter, it may consist entirely of topical "Sections" of varying length, or it may have a main text and then the Sections. You can add as many MW sections as you need, to keep them all straight. :wink:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

redrun wrote: December 9th, 2023, 5:48 pm Well, I've never revived a project before. I'll consult the SOPs, and get back to you with your MW. I'm also adjusting the file name in this project to match the old one. Much shorter.

Update: Magic Window is in place, and you have access!
You will definitely want to adjust the intro/outro instructions for this book! Each chapter may be a regular chapter, it may consist entirely of topical "Sections" of varying length, or it may have a main text and then the Sections. You can add as many MW sections as you need, to keep them all straight. :wink:
Thank you redrun! I always post a project like "I'm missing something here," and then realize it's the file name needing to be shortened :lol:

And sounds good! I will certainly adjust those. I'll try fill in the MW tomorrow :thumbs:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

MW has been filled in. I tried to get some fair breaking of sections up. I've also edited the intro / outro.

Thank you
Elijah
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

So to give an example, I would read the intro for section 17, "Chapter 8 - Section 2 - On the mortification of the appetite" like this:
- "Section #" would be "Section 17", as that's the section number in the Magic Window.
- "Chapter or Section Title." would be "Chapter 8 - Section 2 - On the mortification of the appetite", as that's the title in the Magic Window.

Sounds good and reasonable to me. :thumbs:

We'll stick around on the launch pad for a day or two, and see whether we attract a DPL. :mrgreen:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

redrun wrote: December 10th, 2023, 12:05 pm So to give an example, I would read the intro for section 17, "Chapter 8 - Section 2 - On the mortification of the appetite" like this:

Sounds good and reasonable to me. :thumbs:

We'll stick around on the launch pad for a day or two, and see whether we attract a DPL. :mrgreen:
Thank you! I've included that example near the intro / outro quotes :thumbs:
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Happy to DPL if still needed
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thank you Claire, adding you to the MW now. :thumbs:

Update: Done. Moving us off to Readers Wanted: Books!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Cbteddy wrote: December 11th, 2023, 2:01 pm Happy to DPL if still needed
Welcome aboard Claire! Thank you :D

I'll claim sections 11 & 45 to start :9:
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

May I have section 1?
Cheers,
Claire

~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Cbteddy wrote: December 26th, 2023, 3:41 pm May I have section 1?
Yes! Thank you :D

If you feel free to take on any more, I am always willing to PL them for you :thumbs:
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Here is section 1 (16:10).
https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/truespouse_01_liguori_128kb.mp3

A few notes:
  • I did say the numbers in front of each paragraph. If they should be cut, just let me know and I can edit before PL.
  • Found a typo of Christ(spelled Chirst) on the first page of chapter 1. It made me laugh for some reason, but I did pronounce it as Christ.
  • Word is marred out on page 2 of chapter 1 "the bishop says to .... novice". I left it out and the sentence still seems to make sense, but I'm happy to add in the missing word if anyone happens to know what it may be.
  • I did my best with the sources being noted within the text. I was able to easily decipher the bible chapters and verses, but there were some I haven't a clue what they were referencing. I left them out, but if they are required to be put in, I would appreciate some help with figuring what they are referencing!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Cbteddy wrote: December 28th, 2023, 4:20 pm Hello! Here is section 1 (16:10).

A few notes:
  • I did say the numbers in front of each paragraph. If they should be cut, just let me know and I can edit before PL.
  • Found a typo of Christ(spelled Chirst) on the first page of chapter 1. It made me laugh for some reason, but I did pronounce it as Christ.
  • Word is marred out on page 2 of chapter 1 "the bishop says to .... novice". I left it out and the sentence still seems to make sense, but I'm happy to add in the missing word if anyone happens to know what it may be.
  • I did my best with the sources being noted within the text. I was able to easily decipher the bible chapters and verses, but there were some I haven't a clue what they were referencing. I left them out, but if they are required to be put in, I would appreciate some help with figuring what they are referencing!
Thank you!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Cbteddy wrote: December 28th, 2023, 4:20 pm Hello! Here is section 1 (16:10).
Wonderfully done! PL OK!

All day during my PL list I was going, "I think there's a section somewhere I need to PL that I'm not DPL in :lol: ) Finished in your solo and was like, oh yeah!! :lol:

Great work!