ej400

Post by ej400 »

JudyS wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 9:23 am Here is section 13
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/mylifeatsea_13_crutchley_128kb.mp3
28 minutes 59 seconds
Excellent! In the MW awaiting from our amazing DPL :thumbs:
JimmyO

Post by JimmyO »

Hey, when names/words are blanked out like the following, how are we to read it? I imagine we could say, "damn", these days, but what is the correct protocol?

“Yes, you go and stick the General on the bar, and a fine d—— fool I shall look…”

"One morning my landlady came to me with a request that I would go up-stairs and see Mr. —— who had something important to say."
Last edited by JimmyO on February 25th, 2024, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cameronag

Post by cameronag »

Section 15 - Chapter 8 part 1 is here:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/mylifeaatsea__15_crutchley_128kb.mp3

Looking for feedback!

Cheers
Moonshadow.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

JimmyO wrote: February 25th, 2024, 9:28 am Hey, when names/words are blanked out like the following, how are we to read it? I imagine we could say, "damn", these days, but what is the correct protocol?

“Yes, you go and stick the General on the bar, and a fine d—— fool I shall look…”

"One morning my landlady came to me with a request that I would go up-stairs and see Mr. —— who had something important to say."
Well, I think the first one is "damn."

As for a protocol, it's a bit like a guessing game. Since I'm not 100% sure, I think our best bet is to just say "Mr." I'm not sure that there is telling who this mysterious Mr. is, and I don't feel regarding to him as "Mr. Blank" would be appropriate, and probably, not the author's intent (which is what we try to follow for some sort of protocol).

Thank you for the questions! :thumbs:
ej400

Post by ej400 »

cameronag wrote: February 25th, 2024, 11:22 am Section 15 - Chapter 8 part 1 is here:

Looking for feedback!

Cheers
Moonshadow.
Thank you! Please do include the file length when posting :thumbs:

Currently, the file name is incorrect, but before correcting that, please do await PL before correcting those
JimmyO

Post by JimmyO »

ej400 wrote: February 25th, 2024, 6:01 pm
JimmyO wrote: February 25th, 2024, 9:28 am Hey, when names/words are blanked out like the following, how are we to read it? I imagine we could say, "damn", these days, but what is the correct protocol?

Well, I think the first one is "damn."

As for a protocol, it's a bit like a guessing game. Since I'm not 100% sure, I think our best bet is to just say "Mr." I'm not sure that there is telling who this mysterious Mr. is, and I don't feel regarding to him as "Mr. Blank" would be appropriate, and probably, not the author's intent (which is what we try to follow for some sort of protocol).

Thank you for the questions! :thumbs:
Yes, obvious on that first one.
But can I say, "damn"?
ej400

Post by ej400 »

JimmyO wrote: February 25th, 2024, 8:38 pm Yes, obvious on that first one.
But can I say, "damn"?
Yeah! Anytime there's a blank or that d -- etc, I'd go ahead and read it as you'd guess it to be :thumbs:
cameronag

Post by cameronag »

cameronag wrote: February 25th, 2024, 11:22 am Section 15 - Chapter 8 part 1 is here:

Looking for feedback!

Cheers
Moonshadow.

Currently, the file name is incorrect, but before correcting that, please do await PL before correcting those
Oops! Still finding my way around here!

Cheers.
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

haelen wrote: February 21st, 2024, 12:46 pm Section 12 : 26:06

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/mylifeatsea_12_crutchley_128kb.mp3

Cheers,
Tim
Hi Tim! Another very nice reading. Just a few edits please:

Around 12:04 - heard "awful mess of my beautifully clean teak desk..." should be "awful mess of my beautifully clean teak deck..."
Around 0:20 (during the intro) - missing the section title. In this case it would be "My Life at Sea, by William Caius Crutchley. Chapter 6, Part 2"
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

JudyS wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 9:23 am Here is section 13
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/mylifeatsea_13_crutchley_128kb.mp3
28 minutes 59 seconds
Hi Judy! Wonderful reading. I really enjoyed your tone and pacing. Section 13 is PL OK!
Cheers,
Claire

~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

cameronag wrote: February 26th, 2024, 3:13 am

Looking for feedback!

Cheers
Moonshadow.

Oops! Still finding my way around here!

Cheers.
Hi Moonshadow! Congrats on your first few recordings here at Librivox! You have very nice pacing and a nice tone. I look forward to listening to more of your recordings on future projects!

Just two edits please:

Intro - added some extra bits in at the beginning. You'll only want to state Chapter 8 Part 1 at the end of the intro. I've copied the wording below for reference.

"Section 15 of My Life at Sea. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "My Life at Sea, by William Caius Crutchley. Chapter 8, Part 1."

Ending - added an extra bit as well. You'll only want to state "End of section 15" followed by the 5 seconds of silence.

Once you've made those changes and corrected the file name, please re-upload and post in the thread with the link so we can do a spot check to make sure any edits have been completed. If the timing happens to change, please notate the new length of time as well.
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
cameronag

Post by cameronag »

OK, edits done. Hope they sound OK.

File re-uploaded with, hopefully, correct filename: mylifeatsea_15_crutchley_128kb. Timed length is 22'36", filesize 21.71Mb.

Cheers,
Moonshadow
haelen

Post by haelen »

Only just seen this, Claire. I'll edit over the next few days.

Best Wishes,
Tim
"Seek No Vain Conclusions"
JimmyO

Post by JimmyO »