[SOLO]The Girl's Book of Famous Queens by Lydia Hoyt Farmer - kit

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

The Girls' Book of Famous Queens, by Lydia Hoyt Farmer ( - 1903)
In the annals of history, women have played an important part; and among the famous sovereigns of the world, queens, as well as kings, have made their names illustrious by heroic deeds and great enterprises.

The names which we have chosen for this book do not include all the renowned female sovereigns; but their lives present some of the most important epochs in the world’s history. (Summary by Lydia Hoyt Farmer)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51660

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of The Girls' Book of Famous Queens.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"The Girls' Book of Famous Queens, by Lydia Hoyt Farmer.
Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of The Girls' Book of Famous Queens, by Lydia Hoyt Farmer.
This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Girls' Book of Famous Queens, by Lydia Hoyt Farmer."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: girlsbookoffamousqueens_##_hoytfarmer_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. girlsbookoffamousqueens_01_hoytfarmer_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah so you're taking the plunge, Claire :) I can MC this, looks like a good little project to start your first solo.

MW is coming up soon and I'll explain everything in my next post.

And I see we already have an interested DPL. Thanks, Elijah, good to have you on board.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok MW is up and running.

As soloist you are also your own BC, so you're in charge of the MW. Most of it you will already know from your job as DPL. To access it, click the BC/Admin link underneath it. It might not accept your password right away, in that case click "forgot password" and you'll receive an email to set up a password for your MW activity. Let me know if there are any problems there. Though I think it should be fine in your case as you already have access to the MW as DPL.

Once you are logged in, you need to fill out the chapter titles. I gave you a couple to show you what it could look like. I see the book is inconsistent, as the table of contents has different titles from the chapter headers. But since our rule is "don't change what the author wrote" I would opt to take the titles from the chapter header, because the TOC may well have been done by the editor of the book and not the author at all.

For the rest, simply paste your file link in the url column, change the status to Ready for PL and insert the length in the notes section.

Also make a post in the project, that there is new activity, that way Elijah and I receive update email alerts that the project is progressing ;)

As you can see, I changed the intro to use Section instead of Chapter. It's a precaution, in case a chapter needs to be split, that way it sounds less messy, since the section numbering can go on in the correct order. Though I think you need not split any chapters in this project, so your 22 sections are a bit too many. But they can easily be deleted later on. A section can run up to 74 minutes before it needs to be split. I think yours will all fit into this timeframe.

I see you didn't include a section 0, will you leave out the preface ? Your choice, or you can also have it as section 1, it doesn't need to be section 0, which sounds a bit odd anyway :lol:

Also: keywords: don't you want to include any ?

I'll let you check it out and if there are more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be moving us to Going Solo as soon as you've seen this.

Have fun

Sonia
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

ej400 wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 9:22 pm I'd be happy to DPL this for you, Claire :D
Thanks Elijah! That would be awesome!
Cheers,
Claire

~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Kitty wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 2:46 am ok MW is up and running.

As soloist you are also your own BC, so you're in charge of the MW. Most of it you will already know from your job as DPL. To access it, click the BC/Admin link underneath it. It might not accept your password right away, in that case click "forgot password" and you'll receive an email to set up a password for your MW activity. Let me know if there are any problems there. Though I think it should be fine in your case as you already have access to the MW as DPL.

Once you are logged in, you need to fill out the chapter titles. I gave you a couple to show you what it could look like. I see the book is inconsistent, as the table of contents has different titles from the chapter headers. But since our rule is "don't change what the author wrote" I would opt to take the titles from the chapter header, because the TOC may well have been done by the editor of the book and not the author at all.

For the rest, simply paste your file link in the url column, change the status to Ready for PL and insert the length in the notes section.

Also make a post in the project, that there is new activity, that way Elijah and I receive update email alerts that the project is progressing ;)

As you can see, I changed the intro to use Section instead of Chapter. It's a precaution, in case a chapter needs to be split, that way it sounds less messy, since the section numbering can go on in the correct order. Though I think you need not split any chapters in this project, so your 22 sections are a bit too many. But they can easily be deleted later on. A section can run up to 74 minutes before it needs to be split. I think yours will all fit into this timeframe.

I see you didn't include a section 0, will you leave out the preface ? Your choice, or you can also have it as section 1, it doesn't need to be section 0, which sounds a bit odd anyway :lol:

Also: keywords: don't you want to include any ?

I'll let you check it out and if there are more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be moving us to Going Solo as soon as you've seen this.

Have fun

Sonia
'Thanks Sonia! I'm excited, and I appreciate all the tips :) I'm able to get into the MW successfully through the BC link. It's the same username/password combo as when I PL.

I probably did overestimate the sections, but I wasn't sure if I'll need to split any up or not. There's a few chapters that are a bit longer, but in looking at them a bit further, I think they'll fall under the 74 min mark. I'll have the chapters listed in the MW by tomorrow. Can I delete any extra sections, or do you have to do that? Appreciate the tip about using the chapter header vs. the TOC. I don't know if I would have caught that.

The preface is actually the summary I used for the project, with like 2 extra sentences. Can I include it in section 1, or is it really necessary?
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Cbteddy wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 5:26 pm'Can I delete any extra sections, or do you have to do that?
for security reasons only admins can delete, but I can do that easily once we know there will be unneeded sections. Let's leave them for the time being, in case they are needed.
The preface is actually the summary I used for the project, with like 2 extra sentences. Can I include it in section 1, or is it really necessary?
no prefaces are not necessarily needed, just like appendices or footnotes. I agree, it's such a short one and you mentioned it in the summary, I think you can start with the first queen right away if you wish.

I'll move us to Going Solo then

Sonia
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Kitty wrote: December 4th, 2023, 1:22 am
Cbteddy wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 5:26 pm'Can I delete any extra sections, or do you have to do that?
for security reasons only admins can delete, but I can do that easily once we know there will be unneeded sections. Let's leave them for the time beings, in case they are needed.
no prefaces are not necessarily needed, just like appendices or footnotes. I agree, it's such a short one and you mentioned it in the summary, I think you can start with the first queen right away if you wish.

I'll move us to Going Solo then

Sonia
Hooray! I think I updated the MW correctly with the section titles. Excited to start recording this soon!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hi Elijah! Chapter one is ready for PL whenever you have time (no rush!). It looks like I was able to save everything in the MW properly, but just in case, the link is below :)

14:46
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/girlsbookoffamousqueens_01_hoytfarmer_128kb.mp3
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Cbteddy wrote: December 6th, 2023, 6:21 pmIt looks like I was able to save everything in the MW properly, but just in case, the link is below :)
actually I need to clarify one highly important bit of PLing. The link always needs to be downloaded from the one in the MW ! Never from the link the reader posts in the thread.

There is a very valid reason for that: at the end of the day, the links in the MW are the ones being catalogued, so we need to make sure those links are the correct files. If a DPL downloads from the reader's post and for some reason in the MW the wrong link was copied, or there was a typo, or whatever, nobody will notice it's the wrong link, unless you download from there and check that one. We've had wrong files in there before and nobody noticed, because of that :( then the wrong files get catalogued and a few months/years down the line we receive an error report when someone listens to the book.

So rule of thumb, also for you in your DPL jobs (in case you haven't done it yet) ;) always download from the MW, so you need to wait until the MW is update before you can check the files.

Sonia
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Kitty wrote: December 7th, 2023, 2:37 am
Cbteddy wrote: December 6th, 2023, 6:21 pmIt looks like I was able to save everything in the MW properly, but just in case, the link is below :)
actually I need to clarify one highly important bit of PLing. The link always needs to be downloaded from the one in the MW ! Never from the link the reader posts in the thread.

There is a very valid reason for that: at the end of the day, the links in the MW are the ones being catalogued, so we need to make sure those links are the correct files. If a DPL downloads from the reader's post and for some reason in the MW the wrong link was copied, or there was a typo, or whatever, nobody will notice it's the wrong link, unless you download from there and check that one. We've had wrong files in there before and nobody noticed, because of that :( then the wrong files get catalogued and a few months/years down the line we receive an error report when someone listens to the book.

So rule of thumb, also for you in your DPL jobs (in case you haven't done it yet) ;) always download from the MW, so you need to wait until the MW is update before you can check the files.

Sonia
Excellent tip, and I've thankfully always used the MW link. 8-)

So the purpose of putting the link in the post thread is to double check that the format of the link is correct and doesn't have any errors? Like making sure it went under the right MC and they used two or three digits for the section number? Can either of those be fixed on the back end, or is a best practice to have the reader correct and re-upload? (I've not come across this yet, so just looking for clarification if/when it does come up).
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Cbteddy wrote: December 7th, 2023, 4:41 amSo the purpose of putting the link in the post thread is to double check that the format of the link is correct and doesn't have any errors? Like making sure it went under the right MC and they used two or three digits for the section number?
yes and no.

For solos, where you put the link into the MW anyway, it's quite redundant to post it in the thread as well. In fact, not posting it, will show the DPL that they have to download from the MW ;) in case they don't know that yet, it will trigger the conversation and clarify things.

For group projects, it's a must and courtesy to put the link in the post, because otherwise it might be difficult for the BC to find the link to copy it into the MW. And yes, in group projects the risk is higher that the filenames are wrong, so it's a double check that all is as it should be.
Can either of those be fixed on the back end, or is a best practice to have the reader correct and re-upload?
they can be changed at the back end. Rule of thumb here:

> if the file is PL ok right away, make a note in the MW for the MC to change the link. Tell the reader what's wrong so they are aware for next time, but they don't need to reupload. It saves server time and reduces risk of another faulty upload.

> if there are PL ok however, tell the reader to correct the link as well before they reupload

Sonia
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! Section 2 has been updated in the MW and is ready for PL whenever you have a chance. Thanks!
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hi Sonia,

I'm on chapter 3, Cleopatra, and it's about 66 pages long. If I feel the need to break it up into two chapters, can I easily do that? Do I just click and drag one of the empty lines and then name it? Will the MW renumber automatically?

Thanks,
Claire
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Cbteddy wrote: December 10th, 2023, 7:31 pm Hi Sonia,

I'm on chapter 3, Cleopatra, and it's about 66 pages long. If I feel the need to break it up into two chapters, can I easily do that? Do I just click and drag one of the empty lines and then name it? Will the MW renumber automatically?

Thanks,
Claire
Hey Claire!

I'm not Sonia, but I'm sure she's fast asleep right now so I'll help :D

It is always okay to break a long chapter up! You'll call it "Chapter 3, part 1," and "Chapter 3, part 2," respectfully. In the MW, select in the top left "Add New Section." Create its title, I would do "Cleopatra (69-30 B.C) part 2" in this instance and then we'll have to assign you to that section. Go to "Assign Reader Sections," enter your forum username, the section (it will be section 23 once you've created the new section), and select "add." You will need to move the new section you've assigned (which will be section 23 at the bottom), and drag and drop it up to Section 4 here.

Post again here if that works, or if you need any help! :D
Elijah