OPEN - [DR] Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott - rap

Plays and other dramatic works
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott (1771 - 1832)
“Ivanhoe” may not be profound literature, but it sure is high entertainment, and is one of the earliest English historic fiction novels. Sir Walter Scott set his story just after the Third Crusade, 1194, and as you’ll see in the introductory material, he felt a need to defend his creation’s approach and setting. Themes include the Norman/Saxon friction in England at that time (and thus, French/English lingual differences), Christian/Jewish concerns, false/true Christianity, degrees of villainy/morality, an irresponsibly absent king, and hidden identities. Showing them as not admirable social constructs, it is clear that Sir Walter Scott did not approve of the anti-Semitism and misogyny that were embedded in the 12th-century culture. You will recognize old favorites such as Robin Hood, Friar Tuck, and The Black Knight. (Summary by Lynette and Scott Caulkins)
BC: LCaulkins
Narrator: Chymocles
PartsPL: LCaulkins
Editors: SCaulkins and LCaulkins
Final chapter DPL: will find when the time is near

This is a long-term project that will take a couple of years to complete. Thank you to all who help with it!

Source text (please DPL only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/82

Scripts are prepared for us to record from. You will find a link for the relevant chapter in the Note for each section in the Magic Window.
Scripts can also be accessed through the folder of chapter scripts.

Information regarding characters and their approximate recording load is available here: Character Chart. (We won’t be combining roles, as we have built much doubling into the parts already.)

*We are not doubling roles on this project.* Please submit your chapters as you finish them (rather than holding the entire lot until they’re all recorded), unless they’ll all be finished within a week. Your PL and Editors thank you. :)

*Pronunciations of various names are linked here and there throughout the scripts so we can be consistent with each other. French phrases and passages are also linked to pronunciation guides as a courtesy for those of us who struggle with that.
Pronunciations Page

Deadline: For minor characters and bit parts, Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. (Major roles and narration are assumed to require a longer time frame.) If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record. (You will record all chapters in which the roles appears.)
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special – in general, go by the standard level, but the source must be watched while proofing final chapters to make sure no lines are omitted or out of order. Please do notify if any word slips change meaning!
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Dramatic Readings; General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900; Romance; Historical Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: adventure, england, medieval, sir walter scott, robin hood, ivanhoe, friar tuck, templars, jews in England, knights, knighthood, Richard the Lionheart, Anglo-Saxons, Normans, Norman/Saxon friction, Locksley,
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For narration:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning, and read the intros and endings as they appear on each script.
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

For individual roles:
Submit one file per chapter. Record your voice credit as it appears in the script for your first appearance.
Leave 4-5 seconds of space between your lines (you may copy/paste these in, but use room noise, not generated silence).

Filename:
For individual roles: ivanhoe_role_##.mp3 where ## is the chapter number. (e.g. ivanhoe_wamba_01.mp3)

Final Chapter file names: ivanhoe_##_scott_128kb.mp3 where ## is the chapter number. (e.g. ivanhoe_01_scott_128kb.mp3)

Please submit your chapters as you finish them (rather than holding the entire lot until they’re all recorded) - Your editor will love you for this. :)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by LCaulkins on January 18th, 2024, 10:42 am, edited 8 times in total.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Here we go!

This project will be a little longer than The Mystery of a Hansom Cab was, and has a cast list that rivals that of Nicholas: A Manhattan Christmas Story (two of my many finished DRs), but we have a tried-and-true narrator, Chymocles, who's a heavy hitter. I also have cleared almost all my editing backlog and will no longer be committed as an editor on more than 4 projects at any given time. Those two factors mean that this project will move along nicely. :) Experience with a long cast list tells me to expect a couple of years to get all those recordings. Editing will happen as enough roles for any given chapter arrive, rather than all at once at the end.

Once we get past the first few chapters, dialogue picks up significantly. Chymocles taught Ivanhoe many times, so he's well aware of the commitment level. Many, many thanks to him for joining this party!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

If not premature, I'd love to read the Black Knight/King Richard.
Looks like an awesome, meaty project!

Thanks much!
scotty
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

iBeScotty wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 2:22 pm If not premature, I'd love to read the Black Knight/King Richard.
Looks like an awesome, meaty project!

Thanks much!
scotty
I put you on the chart, will add in the MW when we have one.
I'll do the despicable Baron Front-de-Boeuf, and Lynette will do the Commentator.
Scott
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Yay! It’s posted! May I claim Rowena if you’re accepting claims before the MW is up?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

Sure. Appreciate the claim.
Scott
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Can I throw my hat in the ring for Isaac of York?
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

Excellent, thank you
Scott
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

I am so happy to see this launched!! :clap: :clap: Can I be Rebecca?
~Norah Leigh ~
"Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen!" Luke 24:5-6
[DR, Children]The Box-Car Children (Only 6 small roles open!)
[Group, History]In the Days of Queen Elizabeth (Full)
LilaMable

Post by LilaMable »

Can I claim Gurth?
This'll be a great completed audio!
Last edited by LilaMable on December 2nd, 2023, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

I am still interested in doing Wamba :)
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

Rebecca, Gurth, Wamba are all noted. Welcome
Scott
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Prior Aymer, please.

If you want, I can pick up Laurence Templeton's introduction i' ma best Scots voice.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
RacingHippo

Post by RacingHippo »

Friar Tuck reporting for duty!
I'll claim the role as soon as the mw appears.
RacingHippo

Post by RacingHippo »

Friar Tuck reporting for duty!
I'll claim the role as soon as the mw appears.