[COMPLETE] Mr. Moffatt by Chester Cobb-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Mr. Moffatt, by Chester Francis Cobb (1899 - 1943)

This project is complete! All files may be found on our catalog page:https://librivox.org/mr-moffatt-by-chester-francis-cobb/
Mr. Moffatt owns a chemist's business in suburban Sydney, Australia, where he lives with his wife, Florence, and adult daughter, Naomi. The story begins with a painting that Mr. Moffatt received as security for a debt and which he comes to believe may be an old master. He embarks on a trip to England to have the painting valued, but on returning to Australia he finds his life has changed in ways that challenge everything he believes in. Published in England and now largely forgotten, Mr. Moffatt was Australia's first modernist novel, notable for its psychological intensity and Cobb's use of a stream of consciousness style. (Summary by Phil Benson)

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://digital.library.sydney.edu.au/nodes/view/12168?keywords=&type=all&lsk=abae55b038bc9e54e9e56adf4a8fce2e

Target completion date: 2023-11-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: YUQgjREp
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_Francis_Cobb (Chester Francis Cobb)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 32
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1925
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Australia, modernism

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Mr. Moffatt. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Mr. Moffatt, by Chester Francis Cobb. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Mr. Moffatt, by Chester Francis Cobb. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Mr. Moffatt, by Chester Francis Cobb."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: mrmoffatt_##_cobb_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. mrmoffatt_01_cobb_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by eggs4ears on January 5th, 2024, 5:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks once again to annise (MC) and newgatenovelist (DPL)!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks for MW!

I thought I had the first two sections ready, but I see I have a do a little rerecording on them first. I'm in Tokyo this week with nothing much to do in the evenings, so I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here. I'll catch up at the weekend!
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

I was going to check in, then I saw that
eggs4ears wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 4:57 am I'm in Tokyo this week
and pfffft. Well, my thirty seconds of envy are over now, so I will say, have a good time, and I'll see you when you're in another continent!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/moffatt_01_cobb_128kb.mp3 - 16:52
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/moffatt_02_cobb_128kb.mp3 - 20:10

First two sections ready for PL!

Sorry, if I provoked envy by being in Tokyo. It was a short work-related trip, delayed by a year, and my last. If you ever get a chance to go to Japan, do go - its the weirdest most wonderful place on earth. But not Tokyo!

On a related note, I think I my pronunciation of Naomi is wrong. It should be Nay-omi, not Na-omi, right? But as the name comes up quite often can we just treat it as an eccentricity? The reason is that Naomi is quite a common Japanese first name and that's how I am most familiar with it. It was only after I had edited that I remembered that it is pronounced differently in English.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You aren't the only one - my daughter is Naomi and many people are unable to pronounce it. Ne-om-i is quite popular, but most of her acquaintances call her Nay :D Anne
Newgatenovelist

Notes for 1.1 below. Make of them what you will! With the page number, I want to check that we're using the same page drop-down menu to navigate (to the right of 'Mr. Moffat'). I hope that's clear! As for position on the page, I'm sorry, but my very-first-section sense is that I might struggle to give you a more accurate placement unless a passage is at the very top of the page or the very bottom. I'm having to enlarge the image and have a lot less of a sense of where on the page any given bit of text is (and yes, I did have my eyes checked earlier this year, so it isn't that!). I think it's wonderful that you've found this resource for new texts to record, but I just want to make sure we're on the same page, so to speak, if I make any notes.

0.21-0.29, p 5, omission
He carried the heavy steel cash-box [in one hand] as he entered the dispensary and with the other shut the door to the residence behind him.
https://digital.library.sydney.edu.au/nodes/view/12168?keywords=&type=all&lsk=abae55b038bc9e54e9e56adf4a8fce2e#idx350395

7.24-7.28, p 7
Trams [heard trains?] wouldn't make so much clatter if those rails were repaired.
Double check this, I’ve listened multiple times and am now second guessing what I’m hearing.

15.29-15.35, p 10, repetition + double check
the boy millionaire, the fighting trail [tray?], Clarence caught it. [Clarence caught it.]

I'm not going to argue about the pronunciation. There are so many reasons you might use a given pronunciation, especially if something is filtered through a particular character, as the first section seems to play with. This is also suggesting that there are multiple acceptable ways of pronouncing it in BE and AE, though I have to admit that at least one of these was entirely new to me:
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/naomi
Newgatenovelist

Section 2 is PL OK. In a couple of places there was a small noise in the background that I could hear (on headphones). I noted it at 8.41 if you want to listen. It’s not a problem, but if you know what the cause is you might be able to avoid it in the first place!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Erin! Corrections tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I have set up When the Birds Fly South on the launchpad - viewtopic.php?p=2256589#p2256589 - I haven't started recording yet, I'd like to make some progress with Mr. M. first.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Section 1 corrected and ready for spot PL!

I couldn't hear anything in the background at 8:41 in Section 2 (I love you Naomi, I love you and admire you) - but I'll listen through the whole file again when I have time, if it occurs regularly.

Glad to see there are several ways of pronouncing Naomi - makes it harder to be wrong :). I agree, the third Webster's pronunciation is very strange.

The Sydney Uni reader is a nuisance, as is the fact there are no page numbers on the text. I'm also having difficulty getting the text of each size to be a readable size while recording.

I think the solution is for us both to download the PDF file and use that. There is a download button near the bottom of the toolbar on the left of the text. Does it work for you? In either case, it is a PDF file, so the page numbering should be consistent however we view it.
Newgatenovelist

Section 1 is spot PL OK.

That noise wasn't major and only occurred a couple of times in the second section. It sounded sort of like the tick of a clock. However, it's small, and I think most people aren't listening on headphones!

Thanks for the downloading tip. In my haste to get to grips with the site and PL, I didn't really look about and see what features there are. I'm not trying to complain about it, because it is a free book! And life would be boring if there were only one completely standardised text source. I've downloaded it now, so let's see how that works for the next section.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Newgatenovelist

One 'maybe' note for section 3. Up to you.

3.30, omission, p 18
Ssss-lick, [sss-lick!] went the coins as he pulled them over the marble top
of the bench into his hand...

Anne, I was clearing out files I'd PLed and I usually wait until they're safe and sound at the IA so that my copies aren't needed for emergencies (usually a week or so, but I've been reeeeeeeeally lazy lately). It looks like several projects from the last two months or so are showing and available to download, but they're showing zero views despite having been up for weeks. Is the software just sitting down and resting for a moment or should I be hoarding files preparing for the audiobook apocalypse?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It may be that IA is not updating the view counter at the moment I think someone else mentioned it.

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

I have noticed that too. It may be that IA waits for a certain number of views before it starts showing the number? That's how it works on YouTube and Spotify (though I think there it starts at 100, rather than 0)