COMPLETE Policeman Bluejay by L. Frank Baum - pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
romeoj

Post by romeoj »

(I don't know if there's a way to delete posts. Request withdrawn.)
Last edited by romeoj on October 27th, 2023, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--RJR (Romeo/danmori)
@ Oneiric Somnolence
Guy with a young, androgynous vocal. I like to do voices.
Not sick anymore, but it is Writing Month. Trying to check every day, but don't be afraid to send me some extra pings if needed.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

limalily wrote: October 26th, 2023, 10:14 am
philchenevert wrote: October 25th, 2023, 5:17 pm
limalily wrote: October 25th, 2023, 12:16 pm Hello, may I try chapter 16, The Beauty Dance?

(And, if so, what is the recommended pronunciation for the name "Ephel"?)
You certainly may have 16. Hmmm. I would say F L just like the letters sound with the accent on the F. But you may use your own judgment about that. use what seems best to you.
Oh! Phil, another forum person just referred me to one of your youtube videos. I watched several of them a few minutes ago and am just now making the connection to you :) Thanks for sharing your expertise!
Yep, dat's me! You also are to be thanked for puttting your time and excitement into recording for LibriVox. A big hand for both of us, eh? :clap: :clap:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
edenwillow

Post by edenwillow »

Hi there. Could my daughter (edenwillow) do chapters 21 and 22 (Tingle-berries and Transformation)? We listened to a number of your readings for bedtime growing up and she is excited at the thought of doing a reading for one of your projects herself.
edenwillow
(managed by ccsdg)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

edenwillow wrote: October 26th, 2023, 1:11 pm Hi there. Could my daughter (edenwillow) do chapters 21 and 22 (Tingle-berries and Transformation)? We listened to a number of your readings for bedtime growing up and she is excited at the thought of doing a reading for one of your projects herself.
Since she is registered with her own forum name, edenwillow, she is welcome to those two chapters. I am excited to have her join us. If she has half as much fun telling these stories as I have experience while recording mine over the y ears, she will be hooked for life. Please help her get going and ask if you need anything. I strongly suggest that she do one story, upload it and get some feedback before doing the second. Has she done her 1 minute test?

Also, if she would like to be credited in our catalog under a different name just tell me. This can be the same as your forum name, or anything else. This might be what you say at the start "read by ......" so people will be able to find your recordings.
:clap:
BookWorm30

Post by BookWorm30 »

Hey Phil,
May I read chapters 19 and 20?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

BookWorm30 wrote: October 26th, 2023, 3:48 pm Hey Phil,
May I read chapters 19 and 20?
Certainly. Welcome, those 2 are all yours to enjoy. :thumbs:
limalily

Post by limalily »

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/policemanbluejay_19_baum_128kb.mp3
06:49

Phil, I'd welcome your feedback. I'm still climbing a steep learning curve (and have not yet acquired a pop filter).

I'd be particularly curious if there are any 'standard' post-edit filters that experienced readers use as a rule (and if they follow a certain sequence?). So far, I've been trying my beginner's best at an initial noise-reduction pass, then notable errant breaths/clicks, then De-Clicker, maybe De-Esser, then the loudness normalization... I've seen other videos recommending "normalization" over all, "equalization," "compressor," etc.

Thanks again!
loon

Post by loon »

limalily wrote: October 27th, 2023, 1:43 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/policemanbluejay_19_baum_128kb.mp3
06:49

Phil, I'd welcome your feedback. I'm still climbing a steep learning curve (and have not yet acquired a pop filter).

I'd be particularly curious if there are any 'standard' post-edit filters that experienced readers use as a rule (and if they follow a certain sequence?). So far, I've been trying my beginner's best at an initial noise-reduction pass, then notable errant breaths/clicks, then De-Clicker, maybe De-Esser, then the loudness normalization... I've seen other videos recommending "normalization" over all, "equalization," "compressor," etc.

Thanks again!
(It's Rich with your proof listening report, not Phil.)

There is an error in the file name - you have the chapter part as '19' but the 'The Beauty Dance' is chapter 16. BookWorm30 will be uploading the proper chapter 19 ('The Rebels') with that same file name.

I hear a section that is repeated in your section:
At ~4:56 there is "You have now witnessed the most attractive scenes in our favored land," etc.
At ~5:39 this section begins again.
At ~6:22 the repeated section ends and Chubbins asks "Who are they?" You'll need to remove one of the sections in the repeated area. I heard some little differences in volume between the two, but either reading would be fine.

At ~ 6:42 you read "End of chapter 19" - obviously that will need to be "End of chapter 16"

As for your recording process, what you are doing is working for you. When I do recordings I try to do as little post edit processing as I can get away with. My voice has lots of clicks, so I pretty consistently use the de-clicker with the factory settings, which minimizes the clicking while not affecting the sound of my voice too much. I don't worry about breath sounds except for the occasional really loud ones - people DO inhale and exhale, so that sounds natural. I rarely mess with equalization. Normalization (or using the Amplify... effect) to get the overall volume in the proper range is important, so yes, do that, probably as the very last step.

I didn't hear any breath pops, so the way you are using the microphone may make a pop filter unneeded in the long run.

So -- remove the repeated section, change the chapter number at the end and upload the file as policemanbluejay_16_baum_128kb.mp3 and everything should be fine.
Current Dramatic Reading: Stand By For Mars! - Roles open.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
limalily

Post by limalily »

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/policemanbluejay_16_baum_128kb.mp3
6:06

Thanks so much, Rich, here's the link to a corrected file -- reading "chapter 16" at front and end, removing the redundant section, and correcting file name. (Big oops all around...!)
loon

Post by loon »

limalily wrote: October 27th, 2023, 4:29 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/policemanbluejay_16_baum_128kb.mp3
6:06

Thanks so much, Rich, here's the link to a corrected file -- reading "chapter 16" at front and end, removing the redundant section, and correcting file name. (Big oops all around...!)
Thank you. That fixes all the issues - chapter 16, "The Beauty Dance" is PL OK. I look forward to hearing you in other chapters and other books.
Current Dramatic Reading: Stand By For Mars! - Roles open.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
edenwillow

Post by edenwillow »

Thanks for your kind and inspiring words! My daughter completed a 1-minute test for some readings last year, but would it be best to submit another one? We'll definitely do the readings one at a time in case anything goes wrong with the first one. We'll stick with edenwillow as her name in the credits thank you - I (ccsdg) am just helping her out with the forum side of things.
edenwillow
(managed by ccsdg)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

edenwillow wrote: October 28th, 2023, 2:43 am Thanks for your kind and inspiring words! My daughter completed a 1-minute test for some readings last year, but would it be best to submit another one? We'll definitely do the readings one at a time in case anything goes wrong with the first one. We'll stick with edenwillow as her name in the credits thank you - I (ccsdg) am just helping her out with the forum side of things.
If you are using the same equipment that you used for the test, then I would say just start recording and see what happens. Strike while the iron is hot I say. ! Image
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

May I claim sections 11 and 12 if they are still open?
Travelling, with limited access...
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

dckabir wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 10:10 pm May I claim sections 11 and 12 if they are still open?
They sure are and you may claim them. :thumbs:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Sect ions 4 and 5 are open for anyone to claim.