[RELIGION/HISTORY] The Spirit of Islam by Syed Ameer Ali - kaz

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

czandra wrote: January 8th, 2023, 12:51 pm A Herculean reading, Kazbek! In the face of which I'm loathe to point out tiny faults. But I perceive an aspiration to perfection in your mode, so here goes:
Thanks for the careful PLing! Please don't be shy about PL notes... If I decide to leave something as is, I won't be shy about it either. :)
On pp. lix or so you pronounce Joktan with a soft J ("y') throughout, but at 8:27 you use the hard J. In all other names, "J" is pronounced with the hard consonant (ex. Jurhum at 12:18; Judis at 14:38).
Yes, I had already recorded this part before I realized that for Joktan he uses not the Arabic spelling (hard j), but the English Biblical spelling (soft j). The Arabic spelling is Yaqtan. I tried to correct all the occurrences, but missed this one.
17:44 or nearby: Eber OR Heber (you say "and")
31:20 Aldobaran - some dyslexia here :wink:
33:08 text: in the case of death read: as in the case of death
36:15: I hear effect instead of effort
Corrected all of the above.
Did you report to Hathitrust the duplication of pp. lvi and lvii?
Hmm, I don't think Hathitrust makes changes to PDFs. This scan was made by the Internet Archive, and I don't think they have the resources to fix scanning issues. Hathitrust also links to Google's scan of the same physical copy. Its quality is a little better, but it's not downloadable in its entirety from Hathitrust (it is from Google Books).
Thank you for this amazing synopsis of the migrations and subjugations of peoples.
Next up (after I'm back from a trip), a balancing act between history and piety. YMMV. :)

Michael
czandra

Post by czandra »

completely seamless edits, K. PL perfect.
Bon voyage. I learned YMMV from you! Goes without saying almost, though I boast that my vehicle gets 100km to 4 litres because of the way I drive...

Cz
Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thanks!
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

ej400 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 1:34 am Hey there!

Are you still looking for a DPL? I certainly wouldn't mind :D
Excellent. Thank you, Elijah! :)

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Section 6 is ready for PL.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Hey there!

Really great reading, your voice fits this very well and I'm enjoying this very much so far!

Couple PL notes for section 6:

Optional: @15:23 Either an odd cut or skip of some sort. The text reads: "conquest of Mecca, by Abbas, the uncle of the prophet" I hear two things :lol: One is "conquest of Mecca, the uncle of the prophet." Or two "conquest of Mecca, Abbas the prophet." If you wanted to take a listen to it, that'd be great, I'm not too sure if there was a cut or not. :oops:

Optional: @19:15 Missing footnote (the second one, on page 7). I thought there was some good info on this footnote, but it's totally up to you :thumbs:

@19:28 Missing text: "But this was not to be."

Thank you!
Elijah
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thank you, Elijah!

I didn't think that footnote would be of interest, but since you found it worthwhile, that's enough motivation for me to include it. I've inserted the three missing passages, and the last one is now at 20:57.

Michael
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Section 6 is now PL OK!

:D Very good! I'm honestly enjoying this book a lot. Excited for the rest!

Thank you, Michael!
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Glad to hear it, Elijah! The writing is a pleasure to read. Section 7 is ready for PL.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Some of the thou's rolled off my tongue as "though". I thought I fixed them all, but I just re-listened to a bit at 5:40 and found a couple that I missed. Please let me know if you find any more of those. Hopefully, they won't be many.

Thanks!
Michael
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I thought it seemed pretty good! Very well read Michael! :thumbs:

Just one little PL note:

@ 14:23 - Stumble/repeat: "Of the bright future he should [pause], of the bright future when he should"

Great work!
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Thank you, Elijah! I deleted the repeat and replaced the phase with botched thou's at 5:40.

Section 8 is ready for PL.

Michael
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Kazbek wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 9:35 pm Thank you, Elijah! I deleted the repeat and replaced the phase with botched thou's at 5:40.

Section 8 is ready for PL.

Michael
Section 7 is PL OK! Nice editing :thumbs: