COMPLETE: Short Non-Fiction Vol. 34 - Jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

TipBrown wrote:One more president done. Adams was not much of a stickler for grammar and syntax so this was really hard to read.
• The link to your file:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejosnf034_johnadamsinaugural_adams_tb_128kb.mp3

• Source from which you read http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/925/pg925.txt

• Length in minutes. 16:20
Morning Tip,

PL is okay. :thumbs:

Hugh
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012
Delmar H Dolbier

Post by Delmar H Dolbier »

JBrenn

Post by JBrenn »

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” ― Socrates
“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.” ― Albert Einstein
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi again, Delmar, This is quite an adventure! and well read.

Hugh, the selection is from Vol. 1, Ch. IV of Sherman's memoirs.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi JBrenn, Thanks so much for contributing this fine tribute! :)
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Delmar,

"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Joe,

PL is okay, except for a couple of technical issues. Volume is just a bit low at 86.6dB, should be around the 89dB range. The ending silence should be 5 seconds, yours is about 1/2 second. I'll spot check when you submit your fixes.

Hugh
JBrenn

Post by JBrenn »

HughGil wrote:
Hi Joe,

PL is okay, except for a couple of technical issues. Volume is just a bit low at 86.6dB, should be around the 89dB range. The ending silence should be 5 seconds, yours is about 1/2 second. I'll spot check when you submit your fixes.

Hugh
OK, I've re-recorded it, and I think it's a better read too. I used the Checker prog, and it says the new rec. is 89.0 dB.
Upload: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf034_theunknownsoldier_obrien_jb_128kb.mp3
New Length: 5:13
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

JBrenn wrote:
HughGil wrote:
Hi Joe,

Hugh
OK, I've re-recorded it, and I think it's a better read too. I used the Checker prog, and it says the new rec. is 89.0 dB.
Upload: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf034_theunknownsoldier_obrien_jb_128kb.mp3
Hi Joe, Thanks so much for your quick response to the PL. Both of your recordings are well read! :) I just wanted to say that I'm sure Hugh never meant that you had to re-record your piece. Small things, including volume and the length of silences, are always "fixable!" And if ever in doubt about how to do a fix, we'll try to help. Best wishes,
JBrenn

Post by JBrenn »

Sue Anderson wrote:
JBrenn wrote:
HughGil wrote:
Hi Joe,

Hugh
Hi Joe, Thanks so much for your quick response to the PL. Both of your recordings are well read! :) I just wanted to say that I'm sure Hugh never meant that you had to re-record your piece. Small things, including volume and the length of silences, are always "fixable!" And if ever in doubt about how to do a fix, we'll try to help. Best wishes,
Oh, no - I understand. I listened to it again, and decided I could do better, and since it needed something like an "all over" tweak (i.e. volume) I re-rec'd it.
I did try to amplify the first recording though, but Audacity limited me on the amplification (2.0 dB, I believe). I just moved the mic closer for the second recording - simple solutions, ftw ;)
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Joe,

I think I have 7 or 8 sections in my catalog. I stick to PLing mostly. One of the first sections I submitted, I ended up re-recording it also. I think I messed up using the noise filter and it sounded like I was under water. :lol: I was a newbie, and have since learned to keep an original backup before I start messing around with editing and filters and such.

Hugh
soupy

Post by soupy »

The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

soupy wrote:Here is one from me

On Love of Truth

Gotthold Ephriam Lessing
Thanks, Soupy! :)
pjtaylor

Post by pjtaylor »

Here's Professor Bakewell's Reply to Dewey. Hope I'm not presuming too much by submitting two related pieces for the same collection!

Title: An Open Letter to Professor Dewey Concerning Immediate Empiricism

Author: Charles M. Bakewell

Length: 7:28

File: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf034_openlettertoprofessordewey_bakewell_pjt_128kb.mp3

Source: https://archive.org/details/jstor-2011480

Thanks,

-pjt
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

pjtaylor wrote:Here's Professor Bakewell's Reply to Dewey. Hope I'm not presuming too much by submitting two related pieces for the same collection!

Title: An Open Letter to Professor Dewey Concerning Immediate Empiricism

Author: Charles M. Bakewell

Thanks,

-pjt
Hi PJ, Thanks for Bakewell's response to Dewey. As to two related pieces . . . of course it's ok; LibriVox is all about dialogue. :)