Dramatic Reading Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
victoriaalicebell

Post by victoriaalicebell »

thecountess wrote: August 16th, 2023, 8:46 am
victoriaalicebell wrote: August 16th, 2023, 8:41 am
thecountess wrote: August 16th, 2023, 8:30 am I am planning on creating a dramatic reading of a Tale of Two Cities in a couple of months whenever I have gotten some practice at being a BC.
Is anyone interested in reading for it?

~ The Countess
Sounds lovely! I'm all for it! If possible, could I have a major role?
Thanks,
Yes, but it might be by November that it starts up. Right now I am gauging how popular it would be and hopefully catch a narrator, some editors, and a DPL before it starts up.
I am planning on doing the Parts PL though..

~ The Countess
Sounds awesome! Looking forward to it!
HenriettaStrauss

Post by HenriettaStrauss »

thecountess wrote: August 16th, 2023, 8:30 am I am planning on creating a dramatic reading of a Tale of Two Cities in a couple of months whenever I have gotten some practice at being a BC.

~ The Countess
This is great! I'd love to help in this project.
Last edited by HenriettaStrauss on August 17th, 2023, 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Henrietta Strauss
DRs:
[Open] Mazli by Johanna Spryi. 9 roles open!
"To read or not to read, that is the question..."
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Me too! I can’t commit in advance because I don’t know what else I’ll have on my plate then, but I’d love to read a character for a Dickens DR.
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

Salvationist wrote: August 16th, 2023, 4:15 pm Me too! I can’t commit in advance because I don’t know what else I’ll have on my plate then, but I’d love to read a character for a Dickens DR.
Good! Glad to see some people are interested in it! :mrgreen:

~The Countess
ej400

Post by ej400 »

~ The Countess
I've been slowly peeking at some Dicken's works as well :D

Just a couple things to consider with this one (not to shy you away!):

-It is about 15 hours of run time (a good sized DR).
-There are 45 Chapters, so there is a lot of scripting for it, and the MW will be rather large / lots of managing will be needed.
-There will be quite a bit of editing needed / DPLing, and it's a fairly famous work so claims and files will probably come in quickly.

So, a couple questions I got for you, since I am interested in helping you out :

-Would you be opposed to having a CO-BC? Someone to help you out in case there's a backlog of questions/claims/etc someone to help guide you in a way. Not saying you aren't capable at all of course! I liked having a co-bc for my first DR it helped me learn stay on track, and BCing a DR that is certainly needed. I wouldn't mind helping you out with this, if you'd like.
-I can probably claim ahead to edit this for you, fully. I could probably take a role, as well.
-Will you be working / providing the scripts?

That's all the questions I can think of now. Certainly not trying to bombard you, and I think that is a good idea to wait a couple months, helps everyone (including myself :shock: ) clear up a bit before jumping on board! But, I can say I know the admins certainly want to see a team and well put together DR before it's launched, and I can fully understand and back that up. So, helping us out with those details will help things run smoother, and I know the admins would like to see the commitment beforehand. Certainly, gain as much experience with MW's before launching of course, and of course, be open to asking any questions along the way if you have any!

Thanks in advance!
Elijah
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Dickens. I see.
How many characters does this one have? :shock:
Because when we're talking finishing, in a DR that's the most important measure, and no matter how famous the work, nobody wants to be the third dwarf from the left.

Also, just to remind everybody: co-BCing does indeed count against your DR limit, which is 2 (in words: two).
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

ej400 wrote: August 17th, 2023, 1:41 am
-Would you be opposed to having a CO-BC? Someone to help you out in case there's a backlog of questions/claims/etc someone to help guide you in a way. Not saying you aren't capable at all of course! I liked having a co-bc for my first DR it helped me learn stay on track, and BCing a DR that is certainly needed. I wouldn't mind helping you out with this, if you'd like.
Having a CO-BC sounds like a great idea, as this is a rather big DR to start out on. :D
ej400 wrote: August 17th, 2023, 1:41 am -I can probably claim ahead to edit this for you, fully. I could probably take a role, as well.
That would be wonderful!
ej400 wrote: August 17th, 2023, 1:41 am -Will you be working / providing the scripts?
Yes, another reason why waiting longer would be best.

Thanks for your offers and if it wouldn't be too much I would like it if you could be a CO-BC. An experienced person to help me along with it would be perfect. :9:
That is of course if you are free by that time.

~ The Countess
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

Availle wrote: August 17th, 2023, 2:54 am Dickens. I see.
How many characters does this one have? :shock:
Because when we're talking finishing, in a DR that's the most important measure, and no matter how famous the work, nobody wants to be the third dwarf from the left.

Also, just to remind everybody: co-BCing does indeed count against your DR limit, which is 2 (in words: two).
A LOT! :) I haven't started my count yet but will do soon. When I have it I will get back to you on it.

~ The Countess
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I think what we are saying is that very long many character DR's have a habit of not being finished - they take years not months.
So until you have run a smaller one most Victorian authors are better not used - Dickens was first published as a serial - and are the equivalent of soap operas (that doesn't make them less worthwhile, but this does mean that for this the narrator is reading a fifteen hour novel leaving spaces everywhere and the longest running DR has been waiting for the narrator to finish since 2015 or 16.
As a BC you are responsible for getting it finished - you are asking all these people to volunteer to read - they want to see it in the catalogue, not in 5 years.
There are some Dicken's short stories that may work

Anne
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

annise wrote: August 17th, 2023, 5:09 pm I think what we are saying is that very long many character DR's have a habit of not being finished - they take years not months.
So until you have run a smaller one most Victorian authors are better not used - Dickens was first published as a serial - and are the equivalent of soap operas (that doesn't make them less worthwhile, but this does mean that for this the narrator is reading a fifteen hour novel leaving spaces everywhere and the longest running DR has been waiting for the narrator to finish since 2015 or 16.
As a BC you are responsible for getting it finished - you are asking all these people to volunteer to read - they want to see it in the catalogue, not in 5 years.
There are some Dicken's short stories that may work

Anne
Alright, if you think that I am too new to commit (which is perfectly understandable :thumbs: ) I can wait and gain experience and maybe in a couple of years if someone hasn't started one I can do it. :(
I better start hunting for a shorter DR to start on! :)

~ The Countess
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thank you :clap:
If you want a Dickens short story there are these https://librivox.org/group/430?primary_key=430&search_category=group&search_page=1&search_form=get_results
We made these collections for his 200th Anniversary and Ruth hunted through the Archives to collect as many as she could find - some of them are in several parts (he called them fancy names like first branch etc :D )

Anne
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

annise wrote: August 17th, 2023, 5:36 pm Thank you :clap:
If you want a Dickens short story there are these https://librivox.org/group/430?primary_key=430&search_category=group&search_page=1&search_form=get_results
We made these collections for his 200th Anniversary and Ruth hunted through the Archives to collect as many as she could find - some of them are in several parts (he called them fancy names like first branch etc :D )

Anne
Okay! Thanks for finding some for me, I will look through and see if one catches my interest. :D

~ The Countess
victoriaalicebell

The Countess has contributed a lot of recordings to The Fourth Form Friendship by Angela Brazil.
We need someone to parts-PL her parts. Would anyone like to do that?
Thanks,
ej400

Post by ej400 »

victoriaalicebell wrote: August 28th, 2023, 10:02 am The Countess has contributed a lot of recordings to The Fourth Form Friendship by Angela Brazil.
Thanks,
As this thread is a place to suggest dramatic readings, I'd recommend speaking with your MC about possibly posting in the proof listeners and editors wanted.

Before the Part PL claims a part, that could be discussed before on who could PL they're parts. Usually the BC would PL them, or another user signs up, and although the BC isn't required to, it does help the project run a little smoother, and near completion quicker.

Thanks
Elijah
victoriaalicebell

ej400 wrote: August 28th, 2023, 12:53 pm
victoriaalicebell wrote: August 28th, 2023, 10:02 am The Countess has contributed a lot of recordings to The Fourth Form Friendship by Angela Brazil.
Thanks,
As this thread is a place to suggest dramatic readings, I'd recommend speaking with your MC about possibly posting in the proof listeners and editors wanted.

Before the Part PL claims a part, that could be discussed before on who could PL they're parts. Usually the BC would PL them, or another user signs up, and although the BC isn't required to, it does help the project run a little smoother, and near completion quicker.

Thanks
Elijah
Ok, thanks for the tip! :thumbs: