COMPLETE [PHYSICS] Opticks by Isaac Newton - ava

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pkrantz

Post by pkrantz »

Hi there!

I've re-uploaded 10, 11, 13 as it has been pointed out to me that, even though Old World usage, "shew" should still be pronounced "show" - all fixed!

Duration: 23:35
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ava/opticks_10_newton.mp3

Duration: 23:55
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ava/opticks_11_newton.mp3

Duration: 16:10
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ava/opticks_13_newton.mp3

:)
:) Pamela Krantz
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for the PLing, Rapunzelina, and thanks for updating your files again, Pamela!

I see this will be a wonderful and perfect addition to our catalog! :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Spark

Post by Spark »

Ok thanks, will work on the pick-ups. Spark~
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you for the response, Pamela!
Spark, I hope I'm not scaring you away from this project! You have a very pleasant voice for this subject :D

Now, catching up with the PLing in order again:

Section 03: PL - OK Thank you for the edits MaryA!

Section 07: PL - OK
Thank you for the note, rf. The HJK is the same in the original scan also. I don't know why, but J is used in text where there's I in other figures, too (maybe it's a font for I that resembles J :? ).
The recording is fine as it is :)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks for PL'ing, Rapunzelina!

I have noticed the J-I inconsistency in other figures/text as well. We should leave it as it is. As I said, in these cases it's obvious from the figure which is meant in any case.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
pkrantz

Post by pkrantz »

And here's Section 16...

Duration: 23:18
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ava/opticks_16_newton.mp3

I would like to give Section 17 a shot, but would definitely need some help in a couple areas if I get it!

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

PL-notes for Section 9

00:29 Theor. IV = Theorem 4
11:06 heard "and tT, and pP", in text "and tT, pP"

Also, in the same line, the text says "those Lines 3tT, 3pP, and 2tT, and 2pP, and tT, pP, are" but in the original scan it's "those Lines 3tT, 3pP, and 2tT, 2pP, and tT, pP, are".
So, do we correct this and have:
11:01 not "and 2tT, and 2pP," but "and 2tT, 2pP," :?: ?

11:57 heard "one perpendicular", in text "the one perpendicular"

15:56 "[...] CDq + (MCq/NGq × CGq). And by squaring these Equals, and adding to them the Equals ADq and MCq - CDq, and dividing the Sums by the Equals CFq + EFq and CGq + NGq, you will have MCq/NGq equal to ADq/EFq."
This is where "q" stands for "quadratum" and I think it would be better if it was read "squared".

Section 10: Spot-checked PL - OK

Section 11:
In (Rq/Iq) × (S cub./D quad.) [02:30] and (Rq × S cub.)/(Iq × D quad.) [03:23] both "q" and "quad." stand for "quadratum". I think it would be better if both were read the same, "squared", as I suggest for Section 9. More clear to the listener and more consistency through the sections. :) Except if there are other suggestions?

I'm a little behind with the sections and I haven't seen Section 17 yet. What kind of difficulty is there? something I can help with?
pkrantz

Post by pkrantz »

Rapunzelina wrote:
Section 11:
In (Rq/Iq) × (S cub./D quad.) [02:30] and (Rq × S cub.)/(Iq × D quad.) [03:23] both "q" and "quad." stand for "quadratum". I think it would be better if both were read the same, "squared", as I suggest for Section 9. More clear to the listener and more consistency through the sections. :) Except if there are other suggestions?
- Section 11 was re-loaded (msg. on bottom page 7) with "quad" changed to "squared" in both places.
- Section 11 re-loaded again (msg. on top pg. 9) with the "shew" changes.

So, if you use the latest from page 9, everything should be there! I'm sorry this seems to be getting really messy! Any responses to each different section that I may have to send back, I'll send in separate messages. I hope this will help you some. You are doing an awesome and difficult job here!

pkrantz

Post by pkrantz »

Rapunzelina wrote: I'm a little behind with the sections and I haven't seen Section 17 yet. What kind of difficulty is there? something I can help with?
Oh boy, here goes:

First para. (pg. 169, under Fig. 14): “This was understood by some of the Antients,”
Can we assume this should be pronounced as “ancients”?

Pg. 170, within last sentence of page: “and the Arch QF and Angle AXR will be biggest when ND is to CN as √(II - RR) to √(3)RR, ...”

I'm guessing here -
√(II - RR) - "square root of II (capital pi/product?) minus/to RR"?
√(3)RR - "the third root of RR"?
Have no clue how to read these phrases – you can laugh at my attempts – back in the dark ages, I didn’t have this stuff in school!

Pg. 175, near beginning: "8 Gr. 15 Min." - What is “Gr.”?

Oh, good grief…

:?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

pkrantz wrote: First para. (pg. 169, under Fig. 14): “This was understood by some of the Antients,”
I haven't heard this word pronounced ever, so I can't suggest anything. But if noone has any other idea, "ancients" should be fine.
pkrantz wrote: Pg. 170, within last sentence of page: “and the Arch QF and Angle AXR will be biggest when ND is to CN as √(II - RR) to √(3)RR, ...”

I'm guessing here -
√(II - RR) - "square root of II (capital pi/product?) minus/to RR"?
√(3)RR - "the third root of RR"?
Have no clue how to read these phrases – you can laugh at my attempts – back in the dark ages, I didn’t have this stuff in school!
This is like another instant in a previous section:
Let the Sine of Incidence out of Glass into Air be as I to R, and out of Water into Air, as K to R, and by consequence out of Glass into Water, as I to K: and let the Diameter of the Sphere to which the convex sides AGD and CHF are ground be D, and the Diameter of the Sphere to which the concave sides BME and BNE, are ground be to D, as the Cube Root of KK—KI to the Cube Root of RK—RI: [...]
So I would suggest something like this:
√(II - RR) :: square root of II minus RR
√(3)RR :: square root of 3 * RR [: "three RR" or "three times RR"]
√(8)RR :: square root of 8 * RR
√(15)RR :: square root of 15 * RR
√(24)RR :: square root of 24 * RR

pkrantz wrote: Pg. 175, near beginning: "8 Gr. 15 Min." - What is “Gr.”?
Normally I would say that Gr. stands for Gradian (grad or grade), and mathematically a grad equals 360/400 Degrees. But in the text I see the terms Degr. and Gr. used interchangeably, so I don't know what to make of it :hmm:
the greatest Angle AXR will be found 42 Degrees and 2 Minutes, and the least Angle AYS, 50 Degrees and 57 Minutes.

the greatest Angle AXR will be found 40 Degrees and 17 Minutes, and the least Angle AYS 54 Degrees and 7 Minutes.

let POE, POF, POG, POH, be Angles of 40 Degr. 17 Min. 42 Degr. 2 Min. 50 Degr. 57 Min. and 54 Degr. 7 Min. respectively

the Angle SEO being equal to the Angle POE, or 40 Degr. 17 Min.

the Angle SFO being equal to the Angle POF, or 42 Degr. 2 Min.

the Angle SGO being equal to the Angle POG, or 50 Gr. 51 Min.

the Angle SHO being equal to the Angle POH, or 54 Gr. 7 Min.

the Angle POF being 42 Gr. 2 Min. and the least Semi-diameter of the outermost POG, being 50 Gr. 57 Min.

etc.
I would suggest reading "Gr." as "grades". Or do you think it could be an even shorter abbreviation for "Degrees", along with "Degr."? Any other ideas?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Today's PLing notes:

Section 13: Spot-checked PL - OK

Section 14:

03:51 &c. = etc.

04:16 "of the indico ιλμκ, and of the violet λGAμ.", here μ is the greek m

09:08 I heard "continues ever to be white", in text "continues ever after to be white"

15:25 I heard "a green in the middle", in text "a green the middle"
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks everyone for doing such a great job in my absence!

But I guess I"ll have to add my 2 cents to it now :wink:
Rapunzelina wrote:PL-notes for Section 9

Also, in the same line, the text says "those Lines 3tT, 3pP, and 2tT, and 2pP, and tT, pP, are" but in the original scan it's "those Lines 3tT, 3pP, and 2tT, 2pP, and tT, pP, are".
I think we should go with the original scan here and leave out the second and.
pkrantz wrote: First para. (pg. 169, under Fig. 14): “This was understood by some of the Antients,”
With a little help from google it turns out that antients is indeed an old spelling of ancients.
Rapunzelina wrote: So I would suggest something like this:
√(II - RR) :: square root of II minus RR
√(3)RR :: square root of 3 * RR [: "three RR" or "three times RR"]
√(8)RR :: square root of 8 * RR
√(15)RR :: square root of 15 * RR
√(24)RR :: square root of 24 * RR
Yes, seems good. But please make a longer pause between "square root of 3" and "times RR", because with correct math notation, only the number is square-rooted, and not the RR value (except for the first equation, where everything is under the root).
Rapunzelina wrote:
pkrantz wrote: Pg. 175, near beginning: "8 Gr. 15 Min." - What is “Gr.”?
Normally I would say that Gr. stands for Gradian (grad or grade), and mathematically a grad equals 360/400 Degrees. But in the text I see the terms Degr. and Gr. used interchangeably, so I don't know what to make of it :hmm:
I would suggest reading "Gr." as "grades". Or do you think it could be an even shorter abbreviation for "Degrees", along with "Degr."? Any other ideas?
It must be degrees, as gradian (or gon over here :wink:) has been adopted together with the metric system long after Newton's death. If we can assume that this is an "original" version of the book, gradian cannot possibly be meant, unless Newton could see into the future.

Thanks for putting so much hard work into this! :clap:

Section 17 is now officially yours, Pamela, btw...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
rf

Post by rf »

Here is section 09, with corrections

Input File : 'opticks_09_newton.mp3'
URL : http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ava/opticks_09_newton.mp3
Duration : 00:17:47.38
File Size : 17.1M

Corrections indicated:
00:29 Theor. IV = Theorem 4

11:06 heard "and tT, and pP", in text "and tT, pP"
Also, in the same line, the text says "those Lines 3tT, 3pP, and 2tT, and 2pP, and tT, pP, are" but in the original
scan it's "those Lines 3tT, 3pP, and 2tT, 2pP, and tT, pP, are".
So, do we correct this and have:

11:01 not "and 2tT, and 2pP," but "and 2tT, 2pP,"?

11:57 heard "one perpendicular", in text "the one perpendicular"

15:56 "[...] CDq + (MCq/NGq × CGq). And by squaring these Equals, and adding to them the Equals ADq and MCq - CDq, and dividing the Sums by the Equals CFq + EFq and CGq + NGq, you will have MCq/NGq equal to ADq/EFq."
This is where "q" stands for "quadratum" and I think it would be better if it was read "squared".

Changes implemented:
00:29 fixed, now at 00:29 to 00:31.

11:06 and 11:01 fixed to: "those Lines 3t-Capital T, 3p-Capital P, and 2t-Capital T, 2p-Capital P, and t-Capital T, p-Capital P, are the Tangents of the Refractions" (as in the original scan), now at 10:48 to 11:11

11:57 fixed, now at 11:57 to 12:00.

15:56+ fixed, the italic lower case q is read as "squared" (original scan: pp 70 of the original text, pp85 in PDF), now at 15:53 to 16:51.

Thanks,

rf
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you rf!

Section 9: spot-checked PL - OK

PL notes for:

Section 15

15:46 &c. = etc.

Section 16

12:55 I heard "", in text "" (the greek phi)

A note for our list of errors: In Section 16 there is an error in the Gutenberg text (at least in the html format and the online reader): In the first paragraph of PROP.VIII. PROB.III. "the middle sort of the green-making Rays upon the Space R," should be "the middle sort of the green-making Rays upon the Space ," (original scan).
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks Rapunzelina! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com