COMPLETE[Satire/DramaticRead]Headlong Hall by TLPeacock - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Headlong Hall by Thomas Love Peacock (1785 - 1866) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/headlong-hall-by-thomas-love-peacock/
Headlong Hall is the first novel by Thomas Love Peacock, published in 1815 (dated 1816).[1] As in his later novel Crotchet Castle, Peacock assembles a group of eccentrics, each with a single monomaniacal obsession, and derives humor and social satire from their various interactions and conversations. The setting is the country estate of Squire Harry Headlong Ap-Rhaiader, Esq. in Wales. ( Summary by Wikipedia )
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 2012-Feb-07 .
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you'd like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): Please read from the Google Documents linked in the Magic Window Chapter Sections. The lines of the characters are highlighted. Here is the Gutenberg link for reference: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12803. Song Links: Chapter 5 Glee http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tg/heeltap_glee.mp3 Glee's sheet music: http://www.mediafire.com/?m82hvmfmd17r5th
    Chapter 13 Grand Chorus will be to the tune of "Did You Ever See a Lassie" Roud Folk Song 5040. Here is Mike singing it: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tg/headlonghall_foster_13.mp3. We will do the song for 13 without instrumental accompaniment. Here is a link to the song on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Did_You_Ever_See_a_Lassie%3F
    For Chapter 13's Terzetto, please sing along with this: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tg/headlonghall_terzetto_template.mp3
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    play, satire
    Keywords that describe the book:
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
    Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading the narration, please include for each file:
    At the beginning: Chapter [#] of Headlong Hall , by Thomas Love Peacock . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.
    At the end: End of Chapter[#].
    At the end of the play, add End of Headlong Hall , by Thomas Love Peacock .

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3 headlonghall_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the chapter number.
    ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: tg - TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by alg1001 on December 19th, 2011, 6:51 am, edited 9 times in total.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi,

Here are the claims through PM.
Narrator:Timothy Ferguson
Mr. Escot: JohnFricker
Mr. Foster: 2peltons
Mr. Jenkison: LenXZ1
Squire Headlong: Algy Pug
Mr.Cranium: alg1001
The Sexton: MARTIN GEESON

Thanks,
-Amy
Last edited by alg1001 on October 3rd, 2011, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I would be interested in the role of Reverend Doctor Gaster.

Thanks, Todd
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I think you're all set up, Amy. Holler if I missed something. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi TriciaG,

Thanks for being the MC!
-Amy :D
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

ToddHW wrote:I would be interested in the role of Reverend Doctor Gaster.

Thanks, Todd
Hi Todd,

Great. You have it. In the linked documents, his lines are highlighted in orange. There is a tendency to switch here and there in calling him the Reverend, the Doctor, and Mr. Gaster, but they are all him. I hope the highlighting will be helpful.

Thanks,
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Ah, linked file with parts highlights? I see the link to the (unhighlighted) Gutenberg above the MW which is what got me interested, but no link to a Googledocs file with highlights either above or in the MW. Maybe blocked - I'm at work.

I could use different voices for Rev, Dr, and Mr.... (Yes, kidding)

Thaks, Todd
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Todd,

I am just now filling out the window. I have the linked google documents in the chapter sections. I think you should be able to see them now. Have fun with your part. I will be off to work soon too, but I am trying to fill this in first.

Have a great day.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Great. The googledocs reference are there now.

This looks to be fun.

Thanks, Todd
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I quite feel like being a maiden aunt after a rest from all those miserable Scandinavian ladies and bitter old Queens. May I have Miss Brindle-mew Grimalkin Phœbe Tabitha Ap-Headlong, please?

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Fongie

Post by Fongie »

Are you planning on having real singing for all the songs? And, if so, how will the group songs be done?
Anyway, I'd like to volounteer for Mr.Gall for now :P
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

RuthieG wrote:I quite feel like being a maiden aunt after a rest from all those miserable Scandinavian ladies and bitter old Queens. May I have Miss Brindle-mew Grimalkin Phœbe Tabitha Ap-Headlong, please?

Ruth
Hi Ruth,

You most certainly can. It is a great name, isn't it! :D I am so glad you will be in this.

Thanks! :D

-Amy
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Fongie wrote:Are you planning on having real singing for all the songs? And, if so, how will the group songs be done?
Anyway, I'd like to volounteer for Mr.Gall for now :P
Hi Fongie,

Yes, I want real singing for the songs. Mr. Gall sings a drinking song with a group of men. I can merge the tracks together so it sounds like you are all singing together. He has only a few lines, but they will be fun. I highlighted Mr. Gall's lines in a brown mustard color. He has a group line with the other critics in Chapter 5, " Never read our review!" I think it is highlighted in red.

Thanks!

P.S.
I'm sure it was noticeable, but I wanted to tell everyone; her lines are in bold blue.
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

May I have Section 18 - Miss Philomena Poppyseed please? She doesn't seem to participate in any singing which is the number one criteria for my choice. :D
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Fongie

Post by Fongie »

Cool =) Since we seem to be ROARING the song I guess its not a disaster if a group-only singer sings a little out of tune? :P