Modern books that you wish we could record.

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
AmethystA

Post by AmethystA »

Jane of Lantern Hill by Lucy Maud Montgomery

Anne of Windy Poplars by Lucy Maud Montgomery

Keeper of the Bees by Gene Stratton Porter

Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next books

Agatha Christie books. especially the Tommy and Tuppence books
though I adore both Miss Marple and Poirot, too.

Several Dick Francis titles...Syd Halley series
Shattered, Destination Unknown

To Kill a Mockingbird
eleanor1183

Post by eleanor1183 »

Everything!

I think copyright law sucks. At the very least, I think it should be revised to limit copyright to the life of the original creator (not publisher!) And copyrights should not be transferable. The person(s) who did the creating should be the only one(s) who can claim copyright, limited to their lifetime, period. And if they choose to release the copyright, it should then be public domain.

'jes my Libertarian opinion...:D

Zale

P.S. Since I won't get my wish, I'd love to have everything by Rita Mae Brown, especially the Sneaky Pie/Mrs. Murphy series, complete with very special voices for all the animal characters - can't you just hear Pewter's snooty little voice? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Of course he has a knife! We all have knives! It's 1183 and we're all barbarians!"
KATWAL

Post by KATWAL »

I have actually read two books lately. I've had to spend an exorbitant amount of time in a hospital waiting room and took a short trip which gave me time in an airport coming and going.

I read "The Bookseller of Kabul" and "Ada Blackjack", both very interesting and would make excellent LV additions sometime in the very distant and far off future!

Katwal
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. M. Mead
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

I was at a dinner-with-storyreading with a bunch of our friends last night. Since it was Halloween (and nobody had remembered to bring a copy of The Phantom Tollbooth, which is what we were in the middle of), I found a collection of Ray Bradbury stuff and read "Homecoming."

Geez, I REALLY wish Bradbury were PD!

-Catharine
GlassMask

Post by GlassMask »

I just read a few pages of I.F. Stone's social commentary in the current Utne magazine, which are excerpts from a new book collection, and would love a chance to read some of these things. They're from the '40s through '70s, but they sound like today's news to me.

Fire and brimstone in service to mankind! Man, this is great stuff!

Edward R. Murrow is still many years away from us too, I'm sure, but these are ideas we desperately need to hear now.

Copyrights are just way too long. . .

Ted
"To those who accept their fate, happiness. To those who defy their fate, glory."
brianlojeck

Post by brianlojeck »

A Brief History Of Time -- Steven Hawking
Brian Lojeck
Webmaster, [url=http://www.whatbrianthinksaboutlasvegas.com]What Brian Thinks About Las Vegas[/url]
brianlojeck

Post by brianlojeck »

Also:

Hyperion (1989)
The Fall of Hyperion (1990)
Endymion (1996)
The Rise of Endymion (1997)

all by Dan Simmons
Brian Lojeck
Webmaster, [url=http://www.whatbrianthinksaboutlasvegas.com]What Brian Thinks About Las Vegas[/url]
GlassMask

Post by GlassMask »

I just finished Sam Harris' "The End of Faith" and was bored, excited, thrilled, offended, enlightened, crushed, and given hope. I enjoy books that beat me up.

Ted
"To those who accept their fate, happiness. To those who defy their fate, glory."
Chrisczech

Post by Chrisczech »

Having just finished reading two of his books (including Volume 1 of The Gulag Archipelago) I would love to read One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn.

His books should be required reading! "Gulag" is a hard read, though, in subject matter, that is.
kri

Post by kri »

Chrisczech wrote:Having just finished reading two of his books (including Volume 1 of The Gulag Archipelago) I would love to read One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn.

His books should be required reading! "Gulag" is a hard read, though, in subject matter, that is.
I've heard of his writings in a book I read about the Gulag. Perhaps I'll attempt to take some of his work on (for personal reading pleasure) in the future.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Chrisczech wrote:Having just finished reading two of his books (including Volume 1 of The Gulag Archipelago) I would love to read One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn.

Solzhenitsin would be wonderful. Harrowing, but wonderful. I remember reading Cancer Ward as a teenager.

On a lighter note: The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

And a wonderful new translation of Sir Gawain and ehe Green Knight by Simon Armitage. Perfect for reading aloud, littered liberally with alliteration.

David
jimmylogan

Post by jimmylogan »

Thrice Upon a Time - one of my all time books...

Also A Wrinkle in Time
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

The Never-ending Story by Michael Ende, although its been a while since I've read it so I don't know if its as good as I remember. I do know I hated the film though, because I read the book first!

The novel version of Orlando Furioso.

I'd have to agree with the Wizard of Earthsea series :) and of course G.R.R.Martin A Song of Ice and Fire!

And now I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of stuff, even though I know there's tonnes of stuff out there I'd love to read. >_<
[size=92][url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=684]My LV Projects[/url] | Like Arthurian legend? Why not try [u][url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15518]Le Mort d'Arthur Vol 2[/url][/u]?[/size]
kri

Post by kri »

Rowen wrote:The Never-ending Story by Michael Ende, although its been a while since I've read it so I don't know if its as good as I remember. I do know I hated the film though, because I read the book first!

I'd have to agree with the Wizard of Earthsea series :) and of course G.R.R.Martin A Song of Ice and Fire!

And now I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of stuff, even though I know there's tonnes of stuff out there I'd love to read. >_<
You should watch the film again without thinking anything of the book. Consider it completely unrelated, and I think you'd enjoy it better!

I love the movie, and enjoyed the book when I read it. However, I did see the movie before reading the book.
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

kri wrote:
Rowen wrote:The Never-ending Story by Michael Ende, although its been a while since I've read it so I don't know if its as good as I remember. I do know I hated the film though, because I read the book first!

You should watch the film again without thinking anything of the book. Consider it completely unrelated, and I think you'd enjoy it better!

I love the movie, and enjoyed the book when I read it. However, I did see the movie before reading the book.
Yeah people have told me the film is good, but I remember being so engrossed in the book, I just loved it... but maybe one day. If I ever see it on TV again that is :/.
[size=92][url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=684]My LV Projects[/url] | Like Arthurian legend? Why not try [u][url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15518]Le Mort d'Arthur Vol 2[/url][/u]?[/size]