Hello!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
DanielPratt

Post by DanielPratt »

Hello people of LibriVox!

I'm 25, male and was born and live in the North East of England but most people find that I don't have a specifically regional accent (I've been mistaken for Canadian, Irish and American among others). I can do impressions, accents, dialects, sound effects etc. and enjoy acting so hopefully I can be of assistance in a few areas of a book's reading.

I've wanted to be a voice-over artist / voice actor for as long as I can remember and after finding that you could essentially do this for LibriVox and help in the production of more free audio-books for others, I really couldn't resist.

I have some experience of voice acting for a couple of video games and cartoons. They were favours to a friend who owns an audio production company, as a means to get to do some voice acting (it was a lot of fun) and a chance to get him to help my games & software development company out with some discounted audio services. In the recordings I was a duck, a small female monster, a large male monster, a Scottish secret agent, a German soldier, various crowd members chanting and whooping etc. and some other voices and sounds I can't remember. Not being a professional voice actor, I can't guarantee the quality of any of my efforts but he did seem pleased throughout.

If you think I'd be a potential boon to one of your readings, let me know. Otherwise, I'll be excitedly perusing what's available for volunteering.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Hello and welcome, Daniel!
I was a duck, a small female monster, a large male monster, a Scottish secret agent, a German soldier...
Now that sounds a whole lot of fun! better than doing grumpy old duchesses, which is what I seem to end up doing.

I definitely think you are a potential boon. :D And I think you'll have a lot of fun here.

It's a good idea to do a short test recording before you dive in - solely to make sure that your settings, volume etc. are what we need. (The Internet Archive, which hosts our final audio files, has specific requirements so that it can derive other formats.)

Very, very few people here are professionals, we're nearly all enthusiastic amateurs. As long as you are understandable, you are welcome. And the more you do, the better you get. :)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
DanielPratt

Post by DanielPratt »

Thanks for the warm welcome Ruth!

I'm going to try the test recording now :thumbs:
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Boon. Boon, boon. boon

What a strange word when you think about it.

:|
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Oh, but Welcome Daniel!!!
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|
DanielPratt

Post by DanielPratt »

Samanem wrote:Oh, but Welcome Daniel!!!
Thank you. Thank you, thank you. thank you :)

I was perusing the 'The Wit and Humor of America' text for the sections for which you're missing readers and they all look to be quite fun little poems, especially the rather cutesy John G. Saxe's The Coquette. If I had a real American accent I'd be very tempted to claim them but I think it really is something best suited to the genuine Americans.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome. I'm off for more textual perusing!
DanielPratt

Post by DanielPratt »

DanielPratt wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome Ruth!

I'm going to try the test recording now :thumbs:
Done!

And here it is:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/test_DanielPratt.mp3

Let me know what you think!