Hi, How Y'all Doin'?

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
whitewhale

Post by whitewhale »

Hi,

I'm Patrick. I'm joining Librivox with a pretty focused purpose: to get practice narrating books so I can go pro. Of course, I'm also a fan of producing free audiobooks for those who can't (or don't want to) buy from audiobook publishers. Words are magical, powerful things so I'm glad everyone (with access to a computer!) can access them, no matter what their financial circumstances. Anyway, I'm 33, from Canada, and love writing and recording music. For anyone out there who is also thinking about turning their narrating/acting skills into a career: it'd be great to hear from you. The more we can help/support each other, the better off we'll all be.

See you 'round,
Patrick (whitewhale)
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Welcome to Librivox Patrick! Great to have you with us! There are a number of others doing the same thing you are, and some others that are already pros, so you're likely to find some good advice here and there in the forums. There are lots of other ways to help out here, including proof-listening, making cd covers, converting files into iTunes-ready audiobooks (m4b's), etc., so if you have time and want to help in other ways, go for it!

If you'd like to try Proof-Listening, here's a link to the Guide for Proof-Listeners: Guide for Proof-Listeners This is a great way to start out!

As far as recording goes, the files we make do have to be in a certain format: mp3, mono, 44,100Hz, 16-bit, 128kbps and usually louder than most people think! Here's the Newbie Guide to Recording: Newbie Guide to Recording.

And we respectfully urge a 1 Minute Test, to help you get things all set up! Here's a link to the 1-Minute Test Recording: 1-Minute Test that explains how to do all that. You would upload your test and then post the link to the test as a new thread in the Listeners Wanted Forum. Instructions are in the link, including where to upload the link, the username and the password to use, etc. This test is not for any kind of audition purposes, just to make sure that it fits our format technically and that your levels are okay.

One of our volunteers, Philchenevert, has created several great videos that you might find helpful in learning more about Librivox. Here's a list of them: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/User:Philchenevert

People here are very helpful and friendly, so don't be afraid to ask any questions you have along the way. You can just ask away in this same thread if you have any trouble.

The main goal here, we like to hope, is to have fun!
Samanem :D
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|