My name is Raiña ...

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
rlspreads

Post by rlspreads »

and I heard about LibriVox about a year ago. Over the past couple years, I've been listening to books on tape at work. My public library offered a large catalog of books which could be checked out online and downloaded on my computer at no cost. Due to budget constraints, they had to cut back on their selections. I then started to look at other options and came across audible, which, provided a large selection of quality recordings but is more than what I want to pay after being spoiled by my library.

I then came across LibriVox about four months ago (after a search of the internet), which has an app for my iphone. Ever since, I've enjoyed listening to the various readers and catching up on books that I've always wanted to read.

As for me, I work as an engineer during the day, and use my earnings to support my acting and singing habits. I'm originally from South Carolina and, although my momma was successful in removing most of the vocal vestiges of my origins (because, as she says, an accent does not become a business woman), it comes out when I'm tired or talking to folk from back home. I sing opera primarly, as I have a Master's in Voice. I grew up in theater and enjoy acting when possible. I've studied voice over and think LibriVox provides an amazing opportunity to stretch my vocal acting abilities while sharing my love of literature.

Thanks for providing this wonderful forum to experience and be a part of making great books accessible to everyone.

Raiña
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Welcome, Raiña :)

Well, you have a head start on most of us, as you know how to use your voice to best advantage. It's remarkable, when you think about it, that we (nearly) all have a voice, but few of us know how it works, or how to use it properly.

We recommend doing a short test recording, just to make sure that your settings, volume etc. are what we need here (the Internet Archive, which hosts our completed files, requires a certain format).

All accents are welcome here, so if you feel like slipping into a lovely Southern voice, go right ahead. Some of our most popular readers comes from the Carolinas.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
rlspreads

Post by rlspreads »

Hi Ruth,

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I've recorded the one minute test and am planning to post a recording for a short story! This has been a really fun experience so far and I'm looking forward to discovering more great stories, books and poems.

Best,
Raiña