hey there^^

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
jaril

Post by jaril »

hi everyone,
I'm a literature enthusiast from Germany, who loves audiobooks. I just recently dicovered librivox when I was looking for a certain audiobook and a friend told me about it, and since then I've become completely addictetd.... the idea of a volunteer community that brings books to everyone (and I think that's where they belong) sounded really good to me, and I decided to register to contribute my own part.
I absolutely love reading aloud, so I hope I can find some German books I can help to bring to the public.
And please don't be too hard to me on any mistakes you may find in my posts, I'm still learning English :)

Marie
Last edited by jaril on July 2nd, 2011, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaril

Post by jaril »

I just did the 1-Minute Test:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/test_jaril.mp3

I hope it's right
greg_m

Post by greg_m »

Hi, Jaril, and welcome!

To qualify my answer: I'm relatively new here, but have 40+ years of experience with audio and broadcasting.

Your reading sounds nice, and certainly your voice is a pleasant one. (And no problems with the English!) But I think there's room for some improvement on the technological side.

First, a detail: you submitted your recording in stereo, but LV wants it to be in monaural (1 channel only). Good news: the sampling frequency and bitrate are correct. :)

There is a fair amount of electronic noise in the background, probably generated inside your computer. I'm guessing that you use an "analog" mic, that is, one with the 3.5mm round plug (probably pink for the mic, and green for the earphones). You could probably reduce the noise by using a USB mic, or USB adapter.

Also, while your voice is quite pleasant, you seem to be reading very softly, almost whispering. This is a bit of a problem, because when we turn up the level to make your voice louder, we also make the noise louder. I would suggest you read a bit louder, if you're comfortable with that.

Perhaps you were wearing earphones while you recorded. In many ways that is a good idea. But if the earphones are turned up too loud, then the sound of your voice, into your ears, will be loud; that will make you speak more softly.

I will say that I can somewhat reduce the electronic noise, by using noise reduction software on my PC. Sometimes that works quite well. However, the noise on your file is fairly loud, relative to your voice, so when the software removes the noise, it also has an audible effect on your voice.

I would suggest that you look over the recording tips, including tips about setting the level control for your microphone. I'm sure some other folks, who have been here much longer than I, will chime in and give you some specific suggestions for getting your voice level up higher... then perhaps you can try another test.

As I said, it's a nice reading and a very pleasant voice, so be of good cheer! Once we get these little technical kinks straightened out, your recordings will sound very nice.

Carry on!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Yes, there is almost certainly something electrical going on there. There have been a few new readers recently who have an electrical sounding hum at around 90 Hz - yours is at 93, and there is also some high frequency noise. Please have a look around to see what other electrical appliances may be running nearby and interfering with your recording - fan, refrigerator, air conditioning, fluorescent light, even aquarium pumps are possible culprits. If recording on a laptop, try recording on battery power alone, to see if that makes a difference.

What sort of microphone are you using? Internal mic, USB (flat plug) or analog (little round jack plug)?

You need to increase your input volume. Current volume is definitely too low, and speaking louder isn't likely to be sufficient, as well as being uncomfortable to keep up for a whole chapter. Adjust the input volume sliders in your computer's control panel, and try to make the wave form reach to at least the 0.5 mark on the left-hand scale, if using Audacity.

Please do another short test with increased input volume - and hopefully reduced background noise. Then we can see how best to deal with the residual noise. You may use the same file name and post in this thread, to keep things tidy. :)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding