Vocal Misuse/Damage

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Violet

Post by Violet »

I don't know if many people remember me, I posted a number of times in the forums as a newbie librivoxer a couple of months ago...

I had gotten really excited about narrating books and, being housebound due to an injury, I spent around 3-4 hours each day reading aloud, recording and tinkering with background noise issues, palate clicks, learning how to use audacity, etc. Long story short, after three or four weeks of this my voice started to go a little scratchy, but as it didn't hurt I persisted for a couple more weeks when I started to get a slight sore throat. By that stage I stopped but my voice did not recover and continued to become hoarse/painful even just from normal day to day conversation. After two months of this, I saw my doctor, who's told me it sounds like I may have developed nodules on my vocal cords, and that in some cases these can require surgical removal.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this here... I hadn't heard of such a thing before and had no idea before doing this, that one could 'damage' one's vocal cords just from talking. Anyway I thought I would post about it for the sake of mentioning it, and in case other people should take note to be careful with getting overly enthusiastic about reading, as I did! I'm heartbroken about having had to stop reading, but having a medical problem on top of it is just... :shock:

Having done a bit of research into it now, I've learned that anyone who spends a lot of time using their voice, even just for 'ordinary' speech, such as in lecturing or working in call centers or whatever, is considered to be in a 'high-risk' group for developing vocal cord damage, along with singers and actors and so forth... It seems that it's more likely to happen if one's general health is already compromised or there's emotional stress, etc., and I guess that would have been a factor in my case. I don't mean to scare anybody, just to say, be aware of your voice and how it feels, and if anyone's noticing any kind of strain, ignoring it may not be such a good idea! As I understand it, usually problems won't develop if you rest at the first sign of strain.

Violet
Last edited by Violet on November 11th, 2008, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Violet, thank you for posting. I'm very sorry to hear about your condition and I hope you'll get better soon!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Thanks for posting Violet. I hope this will be a good warning for those of us who are addicted to LV.

Hope you get better.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Violet

Post by Violet »

Aww, thanks Gesine, Starlite. :)

Starlite, tell me about it, lol! I've had serious withdrawal symptoms. :roll: I guess moderation really is the way to go.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Yes, Violet, I remember you. :) Sorry to hear you are having problems. I too have experienced voice problems which have affected my singing voice (though not nodules, fortunately).

This page has some very interesting articles and links about vocal health, for all those interested.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm sorry you have had this happen!

You could still contribute by becoming a proof listener, if you're so inclined. As far as I know, listening 3-4 hours a day won't damage your ears. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Sorry to hear that something of that kind has happened to you, Violet. And thanks for giving us a warning.
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Didier

Post by Didier »

Hi Violet!

Thank you for the warning, and I deeply hope that no surgical procedure will be needed and that you'll get better soon!

Best wishes
Didier
[i]I called the project a book, but in fact it wasn't a book at all.[/i] [size=75](Paul Auster: The Brooklyn Follies)[/size]