[CHRISTIAN BIO] The Autobiography of Charles H. Spurgeon, Volume 1 - tg

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

LeahHansen wrote: May 9th, 2024, 4:44 pm
mleigh wrote: May 1st, 2024, 5:38 pm
LeahHansen wrote: April 30th, 2024, 11:18 am

Hi, I have no experience editing audio recordings. I attempted to fix the background volume by re-running the "ReplayGain" on Audacity, and re-exporting the clip. Did this decrease the background noise? If this didn't fix it, I'll need to be shown how to increase the volume of a recording, or where to alter the noise reduction.

Here is the link to my newly uploaded version of Section 13...
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/autobiography1_13_spurgeon_128kb.mp3

- Leah
It is showing a noise level of 51 dB which fails in Checker. Have you used the "Noise Reduction" feature in Audacity?
The noise level needs to be brought down a couple of dB at the least.

M
I re-uploaded my recording after using the Noise Reduction feature, and it making sure it passed the Checker. Here is the link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/autobiography1_13_spurgeon_128kb.mp3
Good job. This is now PL OK.

Thanks,

M
KatieMama

Post by KatieMama »

InTheDesert wrote: May 8th, 2024, 8:29 am This section hasn't been proof-listened yet but here are the technical notes. Could you resolve the technical issues and then re-upload the file before prooflistening?
  • The volume of this track is 102.26dB. LV requires the overall volume for the track (measured by ReplayGain - you can try this tool if you want to check the volume) to be between 86-92dB (with 89dB being the ideal). The easiest way to fix this automatically is to use the 'Loudness Normalization' effect (set to -19LUFS in 'perceived loudness' mode) in recent versions of Audacity before exporting the track as an MP3. If you use RMS normalization, set it to -21dB. Another way to fix it would be to use the Amplify effect set to -13dB.
Hi there!
Apologies for the delay - think the volume is correct now, the checker seems to like it much more! Thank you for your patience!

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/autobiography1_09_spurgeon_128kb.mp3
Katie
Web: https://loseyourselfbooks.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @KatieLHWrites
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

KatieMama wrote: May 14th, 2024, 2:10 am
InTheDesert wrote: May 8th, 2024, 8:29 am This section hasn't been proof-listened yet but here are the technical notes. Could you resolve the technical issues and then re-upload the file before prooflistening?
  • The volume of this track is 102.26dB. LV requires the overall volume for the track (measured by ReplayGain - you can try this tool if you want to check the volume) to be between 86-92dB (with 89dB being the ideal). The easiest way to fix this automatically is to use the 'Loudness Normalization' effect (set to -19LUFS in 'perceived loudness' mode) in recent versions of Audacity before exporting the track as an MP3. If you use RMS normalization, set it to -21dB. Another way to fix it would be to use the Amplify effect set to -13dB.
Hi there!
Apologies for the delay - think the volume is correct now, the checker seems to like it much more! Thank you for your patience!

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/autobiography1_09_spurgeon_128kb.mp3

Thank you. Nice job. Enjoyed listening to it. This is PL OK.

M
mummibee

Post by mummibee »

Here is section 29
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/autobiography1_29_spurgeon_128kb.mp3 15:33

Could I please continue with section 12?
Belinda
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mummibee wrote: May 21st, 2024, 10:53 pm Here is section 29

Great, thankyou!
Show these lonely projects some love!
Lectures on the History and Principles of Ancient Commerce History
Logic for the Million "a familiar exposition of the art of reasoning"
Pascal
DPL 17 51 58
gracesilvey

Post by gracesilvey »

I am going to have to give up my claim to Section 10. Sorry I couldn't be of a help in this project!
"Remember now your Creator in the days of your youth, before the difficult days come...Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's all." -Ecclesiastes 12:1,13
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Section 10 is once again available to be claimed.
Pascal
DPL 17 51 58
LeahHansen

Post by LeahHansen »

Hi, I wanted to let you know I am still working on Sections 14-16. However, I have a problem with the volume. The background static sound that's always present, has suddenly become louder when I try to record now. And I'm not sure what setting I need to adjust to turn down the background static sound. Can anyone advise me on how to correct this please? Thank you!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

LeahHansen wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 2:06 pm Hi, I wanted to let you know I am still working on Sections 14-16. However, I have a problem with the volume. The background static sound that's always present, has suddenly become louder when I try to record now. And I'm not sure what setting I need to adjust to turn down the background static sound. Can anyone advise me on how to correct this please? Thank you!
There's not a way to "turn down" static noise. But some things you could try:

- Make sure your microphone cord isn't lying next to other cords. It might be picking up interference and transmitting it to your recording.
- Turn off any electrical things around you that don't need to be on.

Have you tried using noise reduction? It isn't a silver bullet, but it might help. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Noise_Cleaning

If you're still having issues, upload a sample to the Tests folder and post it over in "Need Help? Got Advice?" where others will see it and hopefully help!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

LeahHansen wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 2:06 pm Hi, I wanted to let you know I am still working on Sections 14-16. However, I have a problem with the volume. The background static sound that's always present, has suddenly become louder when I try to record now. And I'm not sure what setting I need to adjust to turn down the background static sound. Can anyone advise me on how to correct this please? Thank you!
If Tricia's tips don't solve it, you could upload a sample of it into the tests folder of the LV uploader and post the link here.
Pascal
DPL 17 51 58
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Section 29 is PL OK.

This section has a moderately high level of noise. You do not have to fix it as it passes checker. I would suggest that you see what you can do to reduce the background noise here. Has your setup changed any from previous recordings? I do not recall this level of noise in previous recordings.

Thanks,

M
mummibee

Post by mummibee »

mleigh wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 6:43 pm

Section 29 is PL OK.

This section has a moderately high level of noise. You do not have to fix it as it passes checker. I would suggest that you see what you can do to reduce the background noise here. Has your setup changed any from previous recordings? I do not recall this level of noise in previous recordings.

Thanks,

M
Thank you for letting me know! I did move my setup to what I thought would be a quieter area. I also had family members in the house in this last recording. I'll listen again and rectify for future recordings!
Belinda
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

This section hasn't been proof-listened yet but here are the technical notes. Could you resolve the technical issues and then re-upload the file before prooflistening?
  • The volume of this track is 85.15dB. LV requires the overall volume for the track (measured by ReplayGain - you can try this tool if you want to check the volume) to be between 86-92dB (with 89dB being the ideal). The easiest way to fix this automatically is to use the 'Loudness Normalization' effect (set to -19LUFS in 'perceived loudness' mode) in recent versions of Audacity before exporting the track as an MP3. If you use RMS normalization, set it to -21dB. Another way to fix it would be to use the Amplify effect set to 4dB.
  • We need 0.5-1 seconds of silence at the start of each Librivox track (0.75 is ideal). Currently, it's about 0 at the start.
  • We need 5 seconds of silence at the end of each Librivox track (or as close as you can make it). Currently, it's about 1 at the end.
Pascal
DPL 17 51 58
ej400

Post by ej400 »

InTheDesert wrote: June 11th, 2024, 8:46 pm This section hasn't been proof-listened yet but here are the technical notes. Could you resolve the technical issues and then re-upload the file before prooflistening?
  • The volume of this track is 85.15dB. LV requires the overall volume for the track (measured by ReplayGain - you can try this tool if you want to check the volume) to be between 86-92dB (with 89dB being the ideal). The easiest way to fix this automatically is to use the 'Loudness Normalization' effect (set to -19LUFS in 'perceived loudness' mode) in recent versions of Audacity before exporting the track as an MP3. If you use RMS normalization, set it to -21dB. Another way to fix it would be to use the Amplify effect set to 4dB.
  • We need 0.5-1 seconds of silence at the start of each Librivox track (0.75 is ideal). Currently, it's about 0 at the start.
  • We need 5 seconds of silence at the end of each Librivox track (or as close as you can make it). Currently, it's about 1 at the end.
Amplification made, and silence added at the beginning. Upon opening the file it looks like there is 5 seconds at the ending though, so I left that alone (hence the file time change only being about a second longer).

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/autobiography1_25_spurgeon_128kb.mp3 -25:54

Thank you