COMPLETE [Weekly Poetry] A Serenade by Thomas Hood - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LynnAllen

Post by LynnAllen »

redrun wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 10:41 am
LynnAllen wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 10:29 am Here's my adjusted file. It's 01:51 long.
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/serenade_hood_cla_128kb.mp3
We're close! That opening silence is just where we want it! But it does look like the volume in this one is a little low. If you boosted the volume in Audacity before exporting to MP3 the first time, that change doesn't seem to have been saved.
If I can have you Amplify this version by at least 6dB (Audacity offers 6.32, as the highest it can safely boost this recording), and upload one more time, then I think we'll be ready to roll!
One more try. The checker says this is fine. I have no idea why the volume was different the second time; I didn't change anything. Oh, and it's now 01:50 long; I trimmed a little noise.

redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

LynnAllen wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 4:01 pm One more try. The checker says this is fine. I have no idea why the volume was different the second time; I didn't change anything. Oh, and it's now 01:50 long; I trimmed a little noise.

Hmm, that is an interesting thing to happen. :hmm:
Well, regardless, the silences are good, the volume is good, and your initial reading was already good: you've got the "Proof-Listener OK"! :thumbs:
If you want to learn more about removing noise, you might like this video on Audacity's Noise Reduction feature. I use it all the time.

Thank you very much for joining our weekly poem, and I hope you'll stick around on LibriVox! :mrgreen:
SUMMERTIME135

Post by SUMMERTIME135 »

SUMMERTIME135

Post by SUMMERTIME135 »

redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

SUMMERTIME135 wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 5:09 pm redo by Marilyn Brown-Safford
Thank you Marilyn! I've updated your catalog page with your full name. 8-)

That crackle is gone, now this version only needs a couple of minor edits.
  • At the beginning of the file, please cut about 2 seconds of silence - we'd like to have just a bit under 1 second, in the final version.
    Cutting just that amount might sound tricky, but just in case you hadn't seen it, there are a pair of 'magnifying glass' icons for zooming in and out. Once you're zoomed in to the beginning of the file, you can click and drag to select from the 2-second mark to the beginning of the file, then tap the Delete key on your keyboard.
  • At the end of the file, could I have you re-record the phrase "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain"? We have to be careful to get that in for legal reasons. :wink:
    Then don't forget: you can keep recording for as long as you like, but for the final version, we need the silence at the end cut down to about 5 seconds.
If you have questions on how to make these edits, feel free to ask! If you'd like to see it in action, we have some videos prepared by volunteers, and I think this one or this one have some visual examples.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Meanwhile, I finally got back to the mic, to fix my own rendition! Here was the PL note for last time:
[A]t about 1:09, you missed a "Lullaby, oh, lullaby!"
I've re-recorded that stanza, from about 1:04 to 1:18. If someone is around PL my updated version, that should be the only part that requires checking. :mrgreen:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/serenade_hood_rr_128kb.mp3 (2:12)
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

redrun wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 8:06 pm Meanwhile, I finally got back to the mic, to fix my own rendition! Here was the PL note for last time:

I've re-recorded that stanza, from about 1:04 to 1:18. If someone is around PL my updated version, that should be the only part that requires checking. :mrgreen:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/serenade_hood_rr_128kb.mp3 (2:12)
redrun, your edit is PL OK :thumbs:

*Thanks for taking over in my absence. :clap:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Another 'Serenade' in 1:46:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/serenade_hood_bc_128kb.mp3

I'm looking forward to hearing the others' takes on this. It's actually my second take, the first one I was trying to interpret the punctuation, with a lot of guesswork involved. I just ran with this one, sort of a progression, but you can do a lot of things with so much repetition of just two words.

Thank you,
Brize
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Brize. :thumbs:
David Lawrence

CarolynA

Post by CarolynA »

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Welcome to LibriVox CarolynA :D good first reading, all the specs are okay. :thumbs:
*Please let me know under what name you would like to appear in the LV catalog, if you have one, we can also put your personal URL link on your catalog page.
You can view your brand new LV Catalog page by clicking your forum name in the Magic Window in the opening post. :wink:
David Lawrence

pyledriver

Post by pyledriver »

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Chris. :thumbs:
David Lawrence

redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Glad to help out, David! And - your reading is PL OK! :thumbs: