[ECONOMICS/HISTORY] Lectures on the History and Principles of Ancient Commerce, by James William Gilbart-mas

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Lectures on the History and Principles of Ancient Commerce, by James William Gilbart (1794 - 1863)
"There are few in this room who have not attended [Gilbart's] excellent lectures on 'Ancient Commerce.' I feel what a train of agreeable and elevating associations I excite by merely mentioning their name. The judicious arrangement, the happy spirit of analysis, the discriminating selection and classification of facts, the wise deduction of principles, leading to views the noblest and loftiest, but at the same time the most practical and useful to society — all this, too, conveyed in language claiming the applause of the instructed, but not beyond the grasp of the ignorant — was not only a complete redemption of our original promises, but, I do think, the best practical illustration and most complete recommendation we could possibly offer of the pleasures and utilities of such institutions as this." (Summary by Thomas Wyse)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/lecturesonhistor00gilbrich/

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 1 month of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Lectures on the History and Principles of Ancient Commerce. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Lectures on the History and Principles of Ancient Commerce, by James William Gilbart. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Lectures on the History and Principles of Ancient Commerce, by James William Gilbart."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: lecturesancientcommerce_##_gilbart_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. lecturesancientcommerce_01_gilbart_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on May 24th, 2024, 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show these fledgling projects some love!
Lectures on the History and Principles of Ancient Commerce by James William Gilbart (1794 - 1863)
History of the Revolutions in Europe (History)
DPL 17
AlbaXYZ

Post by AlbaXYZ »

Hello! Please sign me up as DPL :)
---
I exclusively do proof listening.
Languages I can PL on, in order of preference: EN, FR, DAN, TL, CEB

Thanks,
Alba
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

AlbaXYZ wrote: May 21st, 2024, 7:00 pm Hello! Please sign me up as DPL :)
Thankyou! Sounds like it's early in your DPL career so I'll send you a PM with some tips :)
Lectures on the History and Principles of Ancient Commerce by James William Gilbart (1794 - 1863)
DPL 17
AlbaXYZ

Post by AlbaXYZ »

InTheDesert wrote: May 21st, 2024, 11:34 pm
Thankyou! Sounds like it's early in your DPL career so I'll send you a PM with some tips :)
alright haha! I do have some audiobook production experience some 10-15 years ago but things may have changed now :)
---

Thanks,
Alba
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

ITD,
I can MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 8:15 am ITD,
I can MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
Thankyou! Ready for claims.

Edit: AlbaXYZ needs to be added as DPL.
DPL 17
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Alba,
Welcome to Librivox! Couple of things as we get you started.

1. I need to know how you want to be credited in the catalog (your "catalog name"). Some people use their forum name, some their real name. It's up to you.

2. Here is your reader page. https://librivox.org/reader/19499
I know you are not going to read (only PL per your signature), but you may still find this page helpful. If you click on the "reader section details" link, there is a tab that will show you every project you are PLing, and if any sections are "ready for PL". It's a useful way to track what needs attention if you are working on multiple projects.

3. This "guide for proof listeners" is the place to start with expectations and process for proof-listening. It even includes a quiz at the end. ITD has marked this as "standard" proof listening (what that means is described in the guide).

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners

4. You will be responsible for updating the Status column of the MW as you complete the PL for each section. To do that, you need to be able to access the Magic Window. Instructions to log into the MW are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) I'd suggest that you read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information what the BC is doing, and on your role as a DPL.

Note that passwords for the magic window and the forum are not connected. You can use the same password in both places (I think a lot of people do), but if you change it on one system, it won't affect the password on the other system.

If you have any trouble logging into the MW, let me know.

And any questions, please post in the forum. Lot of experienced people around here, including ITD, so if we can't answer something, we can find someone who can!

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

InTheDesert wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 8:26 am
Edit: AlbaXYZ needs to be added as DPL.
Yes, added now. I first needed to add Alba as a reader.

MaryAnn
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Thankyou!
DPL 17
AlbaXYZ

Post by AlbaXYZ »

Thank you both! And thank you Mary Ann for the extra instructions :)
---

Thanks,
Alba