[COOKING] Modern Domestic Cookery by WA Henderson - tg

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Modern Domestic Cookery, by William Augustus Henderson
As there is scarce an individual who is not aware of the comfort resulting from a regular and cleanly meal, it may appear to many labor lost, to write a preface to a work which is designed to teach us how to prepare such a repast.

But, in the daily progress of life, we may often discover an amiable and accomplished woman, who possesses a general knowledge, with the exception of domestic cookery, which, I must be suffered to remark, is a subject of infinitely greater importance to her than superficial acquirements, whether we consider her as a daughter, wife, or mother. Indeed, she can never be properly the mistress of a family, unless she makes herself acquainted with its interior economy.

Exclusive of the necessity of such knowledge, it is surprising, how much such a woman, possessed of it, may save in the yearly expenditure of her family, which, in the present times, is an object of material importance to all persons of moderate incomes, for whom this book is peculiarly adapted, combining economy and gentility in its receipts and directions. (Summary by WA Henderson, advertisement in book)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/McGillLibrary-95792-50/page/n3/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Word Perfect
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Part # of Modern Domestic Cookery. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Modern Domestic Cookery, by William Augustus Henderson. Part Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of part #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Modern Domestic Cookery, by William Augustus Henderson."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: moderndomesticcookery_##_henderson_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. moderndomesticcookery_01_henderson_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by Inkell on May 20th, 2024, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

TriciaG wrote: May 13th, 2024, 6:33 am This is set up. :)
That was fast! Thanks a lot, Tricia :thumbs:

EDIT: MW is now filled in case we get some early claims but hopefully we can attract a DPL first
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

Sections 31, 34 and 41 please…

BettyB
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

BettyB wrote: May 13th, 2024, 8:56 am Sections 31, 34 and 41 please…

BettyB
Thank you! I have put you in for them :thumbs:
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

Quick question:

Did you mean Part or section or chapter in the Intro?

Betty
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

BettyB wrote: May 13th, 2024, 10:18 am Quick question:

Did you mean Part or section or chapter in the Intro?

Betty
Part! Some chapters would be too long if not split and I didn't want it to be section because the book's chapters are already split into sections and I think it sounds bad to say section twice and I can't change what the book itself called them, I did ask where this was suggested and they said it was okay to use something else besides section or chapter for the intro so I went with part
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Hi there,

May I claim sections 37 & 38?

Thanks,
Stacey
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

StaceyM2022 wrote: May 13th, 2024, 11:00 am Hi there,

May I claim sections 37 & 38?

Thanks,
Stacey
Certainly, thank you! Happy reading :thumbs:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving to Readers Wanted. If you like, you can advertise for a DPL over in Proof-Listeners or Editors Wanted.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
mtweston

Post by mtweston »

Can I do section 29 (chapter VIII - vegetables and roots). Thanks. - Mary
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

mtweston wrote: May 14th, 2024, 1:18 pm Can I do section 29 (chapter VIII - vegetables and roots). Thanks. - Mary
Sure! It's all yours, enjoy :thumbs:
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

TriciaG wrote: May 14th, 2024, 9:34 am Moving to Readers Wanted. If you like, you can advertise for a DPL over in Proof-Listeners or Editors Wanted.
Okay I posted an advertisement over there :thumbs:
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

I can be the DPL!
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Bookworm360 wrote: May 15th, 2024, 6:51 am I can be the DPL!
That would be great! Thank you :clap:

Tricia, could you please add Bookworm360 as DPL and delete my advertisement?