[SOLO] The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine - dc

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

The Age of Reason, by Thomas Paine (1737 - 1809)
to be completed later (Summary by Thomas Copeland)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/agereasonbeinga00conwgoog/page/n10/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2024-08-31

Prooflistening level: Word Perfect
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Commentary

Keywords that describe the book: history, polemics, deism, free thought

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Age of Reason. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Age of Reason, by Thomas Paine. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Age of Reason, by Thomas Paine. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Age of Reason, by Thomas Paine."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: ageofreason_##_paine_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. ageofreason_01_paine_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

This will be version 3. That's ok but I wanted to make sure you knew this before I set up the MW.
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Sorry to be slow in replying. Yes, I do know that this is version 3. I especially want it to be among my readings, to create some balance against the traditional Protestant works I have read. The first installment (the editor's introduction) is uploaded (https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/ageofreason_01_paine_128kb.mp3), and when the MW appears I will enter it there.

Thanks,

Tom
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Do we need to advertise for a DPL (Wordperfect, I notice) or do you have someone in mind?
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Please advertise. I have never had a bad DPL.

Tom
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I added a ~ before the title in the subject line. We'll wait in this forum for a day or two to see if we get an offer.
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

AlbaXYZ

Post by AlbaXYZ »

Hello Tom, I would like to DPL this with your permission. Word Perfect is what you want right?
---
I exclusively do proof listening.
Languages I can PL on, in order of preference: EN, FR, DAN, TL, CEB

Thanks,
Alba
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Alba,
Just waiting for Tom to respond to your offer. And yes, it's word-perfect proofing so you will need to follow along with the text.
Dave
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Hi, Alba, yes, I do want to do full justice to this well-edited volume. I do, however, occasionally run across errors in the texts, and I have found one in the last part I read.:

Compare this ". . . upon which the idea of theory of redemption is built" (42, foot)
to this ". . . that the theory or doctrine of redemption . . ." (43, mid)

I have silently corrected the first "of" to "or." I often make this very mistake myself while typing.

Tom
AlbaXYZ

Post by AlbaXYZ »

chymocles wrote: May 21st, 2024, 6:07 am Hi, Alba, yes, I do want to do full justice to this well-edited volume. I do, however, occasionally run across errors in the texts, and I have found one in the last part I read.:

Compare this ". . . upon which the idea of theory of redemption is built" (42, foot)
to this ". . . that the theory or doctrine of redemption . . ." (43, mid)

I have silently corrected the first "of" to "or." I often make this very mistake myself while typing.

Tom
great! I just have some general questions before I jump in:

(Introduction)
at 11:05 “The Quakers who, in 1818, visited the Dukhobortsy…” – you pronounced the name as “Dukhoborsty”, heard of it being pronounced like that going forward (please let me know if this is something you want caught while listening or is this something we just tolerate)

at 18:15 [pg. 23/237] “As to the gospel of Luke being carried by a majority of one only, it is a legend, if not of Mr. Paine’s own invention,…” – you dropped “Mr.” there (as it doesn't necessarily change the meaning in this context, I just let it slide, correct?)
---
I exclusively do proof listening.
Languages I can PL on, in order of preference: EN, FR, DAN, TL, CEB

Thanks,
Alba
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Alba,
When this book is "published" you will be listed as the DPL. What name should we display? It could be a real name, based on a real name or a fictional name.
Dave (My display name is DaveC)
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving topic to the Going Solo forum.