[GROUP] The Footpath Way: An Anthology for Walkers - lt

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
vviera

Post by vviera »

ehsanesque wrote: May 10th, 2024, 5:51 pm Can I read section 8. Thanks.
Thanks, Ehsan! You've been assigned.
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
ContinentalDrifter

Post by ContinentalDrifter »

I've recorded and uploaded a test. I used GarageBand Version 10.4.3.

Here's the URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Patrick_Regan_-_LibriVox_test.mp3
vviera

Post by vviera »

ContinentalDrifter wrote: May 11th, 2024, 1:23 am I've recorded and uploaded a test. I used GarageBand Version 10.4.3.

Here's the URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Patrick_Regan_-_LibriVox_test.mp3
Great! Please go over and post a message with the URL in the Post Your 1-Minute Test Here forum. Someone who is monitoring that forum will either give you the OK or give you feedback as to how to correct any issues.

After you have the OK, come back here, give me your catalog name, and I'll assign that section.

Thanks!

Cheers, VERLA
ContinentalDrifter

Hi Verla. I did that and already got rejected on technical grounds. GarageBand doesn't support mono, room isn't dead enough, etc. I will consider making the requested changes, but it would be quite a commitment.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Patrick
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ContinentalDrifter wrote: May 11th, 2024, 11:18 am Hi Verla. I did that and already got rejected on technical grounds. GarageBand doesn't support mono, room isn't dead enough, etc. I will consider making the requested changes, but it would be quite a commitment.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Patrick
It is almost impossible to get the correct technical specs on GarageBand... it's a great program for music, but not the spoken word. I'd recommend Audacity for Mac... it's free and although it would take some learning, it's actually easy to use and checks all our boxes.
I will be gone until approximately June 3 and will catch up on cataloguing and PLing on my return.
In case of emergency, please contact any other MC.

Help us finish:

On the red staircase
~A friend of Marie-Antoinette
ContinentalDrifter

Never heard of Audacity before. Will look into it. Thanks.

Patrick
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ContinentalDrifter wrote: May 11th, 2024, 12:57 pm Never heard of Audacity before. Will look into it. Thanks.

Patrick
If you do download Audacity, check out this post for information (with screenshots) on how to get your settings right to meet Librivox technical standards. It's written for a slightly earlier version of Audacity, but should still be helpful.
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

tshoes76 wrote: May 10th, 2024, 11:06 am Here is Section 5, Walking, and the Wild, Part 3

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/footpathway_05_belloc_128kb.mp3

Duration: 23:52

(I uploaded this first with a single-digit section number, then re-uploaded it with a corrected filename. Other than that the uploads are identical)
Nice reading. Just a few small corrections needed:
  • At 6:07, there’s a stumble that you’ve forgotten to edit out (complete with your sound of exasperation :lol: ), before “Here is this vast, savage, howling mother of ours…”
  • At 7:31, you say “quote” before beginning to read a quote, but at the end of it, you don’t say “end quote.” Nor do you say “quote” or “end quote” around the quotations that immediately follow. I think you either need to leave out that one “quote” or consistently use it, and “end quote,” before and after all the quotes. I’d be inclined to just leave it out, as saying this multiple times would slow down the reading, and I think it’s clear enough from the context that these are quotes and by whom.
  • At 22:59, I hear “We walked in so pure and bright a light, gilding the withered grass and leaves, so softly and serenely bright, I thought it had never bathed in such a golden flood,…” But the text reads “We walked in so pure and bright a light, gilding the withered grass and leaves, so softly and serenely bright, I thought I had never bathed in such a golden flood,…” I think the change in meaning is significant enough to warrant correcting this.
I suggest making your changes starting from the last one and going backwards so the timestamps remain correct.

Cheers,
Winnifred
ContinentalDrifter

Lynnet and Winnifred, thanks for the advice. I have downloaded Audacity now and started to experiment with it. I have to say, it feels like ditching Word to go back to the old Unix editors I started with in the 1980s, ed and vi. I'll follow your advice about getting the settings right and give it another chance tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday . . .

The other issue, that the reviewer was hearing too much of my room, may be impractical to address. I record a lot of singing in that room, and the ambience is an advantage more often than not. Not sure I would want to invest in or make room for acoustic treatment. I'll start by using different kinds of microphones.

Thanks again.

Patrick
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ContinentalDrifter wrote: May 11th, 2024, 2:29 pm Lynnet and Winnifred, thanks for the advice. I have downloaded Audacity now and started to experiment with it. I have to say, it feels like ditching Word to go back to the old Unix editors I started with in the 1980s, ed and vi. I'll follow your advice about getting the settings right and give it another chance tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday . . .

The other issue, that the reviewer was hearing too much of my room, may be impractical to address. I record a lot of singing in that room, and the ambience is an advantage more often than not. Not sure I would want to invest in or make room for acoustic treatment. I'll start by using different kinds of microphones.

Thanks again.

Patrick
I was curious, so I downloaded your test, opened it in Audacity, converted it to mono, reduced the volume using "Loudness Normalization," and reexported to MP3, then listened to it. I didn't notice significant room echo. Perhaps the switch from stereo to mono takes care of it? In any case, I don't think you need to worry about this.
Winnifred
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

To reduce echo, we recommend soft furnishings eg quilts, curtains etc., if you don’t want to spend $$$ on acoustic tiles etc. I’ve even heard of readers dampening sound with a pile of coats.

That said, it is very subjective, and different listeners will have different ideas about what they find acceptable. However, the reviewer is very experienced and can usually be trusted on this.
I will be gone until approximately June 3 and will catch up on cataloguing and PLing on my return.
In case of emergency, please contact any other MC.

Help us finish:

On the red staircase
~A friend of Marie-Antoinette
ContinentalDrifter

I made a new test recording using Audacity, with comforters and pillows piled against the wall behind the microphone. I hope this one flies.

I submitted it via the test uploader: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_2_PATRICK_REGAN.mp3
ContinentalDrifter

Oh darn. I just listened to my test. Clearly I need to read up on exporting from Audacity -- after the actual test I meant to send, there are minutes more, including snippets of a reading! Ah well, that should be an easy problem to solve, if I'm accepted as a reader.
vviera

Post by vviera »

ContinentalDrifter wrote: May 12th, 2024, 1:37 pm Oh darn. I just listened to my test. Clearly I need to read up on exporting from Audacity -- after the actual test I meant to send, there are minutes more, including snippets of a reading! Ah well, that should be an easy problem to solve, if I'm accepted as a reader.
Hi Continental!
Sounds like you're making progress! I see that you did post again in the Post Your 1-Minute Test Here forum. Those settings should be easy to adjust.

No one is rejected as a reader, though many people have to make more than one attempt at getting their test approved. As long as the technical specs meet Librivox requirements, everyone is welcome!

Cheers, VERLA
ContinentalDrifter

I've uploaded a new test. I also ordered a minimalist microphone isolation gadget for the next one.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_3_-_PATRICK_REGAN_-_17May2024.mp3

Patrick