[SOLO]A Complete Account of the Settlement at Port Jackson by Watkin Tench - kit

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

just had a listen and indeed the level of accuracy was perfect this time :thumbs: this saved me a lot of PL notes :? The part where they scarred themselves made me quite squeamish. Language notes always are of high interest to me, I wish that part had been longer.

Only a few small notes left:

> at 50:01: "not unlike those letters in the French verb 'hair', to hate" - if you want to be more precise on how to pronounce these letters, since that was the point of the paragraph, the French word is "a-eer" so the 'a' and 'ee' sounds are two different syllables, and not like the English "air"

> at the end: you have over 40 seconds of silence instead of the normal 5 ;)

> I would run a round of noise cleaning, maybe take a sample from around 53:05 (before outro), as the end silence seems to be completely clean and not useable as a sample.

thanks, and have a nice weekend

Wow and I just saw that the last two chapters are really small 8-)

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

So I have uploaded the last two sections (yay!) but I already just realised I've said the wrong chapter numbers. I will have a big editing session probably tomorrow, fixing up all the mistakes over the last few sections according to your PL notes.

Also I'd really like to record section 17 again, I'm so very unhappy with it! It kept raining heavily intermittently while recording, plus various other problems that has made the whole thing fuzzy and poor quality.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: April 29th, 2024, 9:46 pmSo I have uploaded the last two sections (yay!)
hurray !!! and these were so much shorter than the rest, what a relief.
but I already just realised I've said the wrong chapter numbers. I will have a big editing session probably tomorrow, fixing up all the mistakes over the last few sections according to your PL notes.
ok I still had a listen to both, to check whether there are any other mistakes, but there aren't :thumbs: for the record:

Section 19:
> at 0:08: "chapter 18" – you said "19"

Section 20:
> at 0:09: "chapter 19" – you said "20"
> at the end: you have 7 seconds of silence instead of 5
Also I'd really like to record section 17 again, I'm so very unhappy with it! It kept raining heavily intermittently while recording, plus various other problems that has made the whole thing fuzzy and poor quality.
I didn't hear anything too disturbing, but if you are really unhappy with the section, then of course I will relisten from scratch. Or you tell me precisely which minutes you have re-recorded and I spot PL those. But it's a long chapter, are you sure you want to redo it ?

In any case...we are approaching the end. What a ride. I'm glad you persisted till the end. It was a very interesting account, in my opinion.

So thanks for coming up with the idea.

Oh if you still want to change your initial summary, after now having read it all, please let me know, I need to paste any new text in the database as well.

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Thanks Sonia. Section 16 is ready for spot PL.
I would like to change the summary too, so I will get that to you soon as well.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 3:18 amSection 16 is ready for spot PL.
I would like to change the summary too, so I will get that to you soon as well.
no problem, just let me know when you have changed it or post the summary in a new post here then I will definitely not miss it.

And section 16 is now PL ok :) thanks

Sonia
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Sections 18, 19 and 20 all ready for Spot PL! Getting ever closer!!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chocmuse wrote: May 6th, 2024, 10:58 pmSections 18, 19 and 20 all ready for Spot PL! Getting ever closer!!
wohoo, yes we are getting there. :clap:

Section 19 is now marked as PL ok.

Still a bit of tweaking needed for the other two however:

Section 18:

> the volume is too loud, over 92 dB. This resulted in a lot of clipping (the red lines), so careful there. I would suggest reducing it all by -3 to get closer to the average of 89 dB

> from 0:01 to 0:12: the intro disclaimer is here replaced by the beginning of the chapter ("The last but the most important production yet remains to be considered. Whether plodding in London, reeking with human blood in Paris or wandering amidst the solitary wilds of New South Wales") How can that happen, I wonder ? :hmm: In the previous file this was correct

Section 20:

> at the end: still over 7 seconds of silence, could you just reduce them down to 5 please ?

thanks

Sonia