marking mistakes when using Blue Yeti

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
tombooker

Post by tombooker »

I've run into a problem when trying to mark mistakes in Audacity while recording with a Blue Yeti microphone. I have tried using a hand-held clicker, snapping my fingers, clapping, and vocal clicking. None of these leaves a readily visible trace on the recording -- the microphone seems to be rejecting these sounds or filtering them out. I have it set on cardioid. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

tombooker wrote: April 24th, 2024, 9:24 am I've run into a problem when trying to mark mistakes in Audacity while recording with a Blue Yeti microphone. I have tried using a hand-held clicker, snapping my fingers, clapping, and vocal clicking. None of these leaves a readily visible trace on the recording -- the microphone seems to be rejecting these sounds or filtering them out. I have it set on cardioid. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!
My suggestion would be leaving about a 5 to 10 second gap :D For example: "The ice cream was quite good..." [5 to 10 second pause] "The ice cream wasn't quite good."

Hope this helps.
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

Strange, I have a Blue Yeti set to cardioid and claps aren't filtered out. Do you maybe have a setting in your recording program to filter out part of the incoming audio? Like a noise gate?
If you do and you want to keep on using it, then yeah,you need a different marker, like the longer silence suggested by ej400.
Or singing a single note for a few seconds.
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
tombooker

Post by tombooker »

Thank you -- your suggestions have been most useful, and are helping me to move forward.

So far as I can tell, I'm not currently using a noise gate. I will look into this more closely when I get the opportunity.