Kia ora from Aotearoa

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
ObjectiveCoelacanth

Post by ObjectiveCoelacanth »

Hi all,

I registered some time ago, and have been waiting to introduce myself until I feel ready to actually do something, but that's exactly how I end up not doing it. So!

I am a 39 yo New Zealander who was historically a big reader but now is mostly a big internet-er, which is getting steadily less rewarding. I also am not a big fan of (fiction) audiobooks, making my presence here unusual! I have always enjoyed reading aloud, however, so when I saw this was part of what LibriVox provided, I was pretty excited.

I am definitely planning on starting with a short project, naturally, but as a biologist(ish) I would definitely be interested in reading science content if that is a thing here. My pronunciation does differ from US English (overlaps with UK RP but not 100%), so I don't know if that will be an issue.

Anyway, this is pretty much just me rambling. To anyone who reads this: thank you! *waves*
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Any thing PD is "the thing" round here and as to accents - I firmly believe that I don't have an accent, everyone else does.
It's a bit annoying sometimes that LV goes by USA copyright laws but that's where our files are stored so that is what it is.
So just whip up a 1 minute test (well it is less that a minute - maybe it is a moon minute :hmm: )
And welcome aboard :D

Anne
ObjectiveCoelacanth

Post by ObjectiveCoelacanth »

Thanks Anna!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

ObjectiveCoelacanth wrote: April 16th, 2024, 4:26 pm Hi all,

I registered some time ago, and have been waiting to introduce myself until I feel ready to actually do something, but that's exactly how I end up not doing it. So!

I am a 39 yo New Zealander who was historically a big reader but now is mostly a big internet-er, which is getting steadily less rewarding. I also am not a big fan of (fiction) audiobooks, making my presence here unusual! I have always enjoyed reading aloud, however, so when I saw this was part of what LibriVox provided, I was pretty excited.

I am definitely planning on starting with a short project, naturally, but as a biologist(ish) I would definitely be interested in reading science content if that is a thing here. My pronunciation does differ from US English (overlaps with UK RP but not 100%), so I don't know if that will be an issue.

Anyway, this is pretty much just me rambling. To anyone who reads this: thank you! *waves*
Welcome to Librivox, ObjectiveCoelacanth!

Once you have completed your one minute test, I thought you might be interested in contributing to these projects, given your interests: You can see all the available group projects that are looking for readers here.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
Emotions by James McCosh (1811 - 1894) 91% 2 left!
PL pls: 27-28
vviera

Post by vviera »

ObjectiveCoelacanth wrote: April 16th, 2024, 4:26 pm Hi all,

*waves back*
Every accent is welcome here! And there are other Kiwis and Aussies in the house :D I do a lot of prooflistening, and hearing a variety of accents is one of my favorite things about the process.

I've been with LV 2.5 years, and I've recorded almost all non-fiction. If you look in the Readers Wanted - Books forum, you'll see a lot of non-fiction on a variety of topics. I have a section in the book that InTheDesert suggested.

Get your one-minute test in, pick something, and have fun!

p.s. Sorry the things mentioned above aren't linked. I'm on my phone. I'm sure you can find them!
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA