Hello

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Hello any and all.

I'm excited to participate. I have hopes of using this place as an opportunity to kill a few birds with one stone; improve my vocal expression generally, expose myself to more literature, become prepared to take advantage of other, perhaps paid, opportunities to put my voice to use where it might be valued, participate in the organization's mission, and give myself a desperately-needed hobby and community.

I've read about the community's general stance on giving and receiving feedback, but I haven't come across a good way to request feedback. Any advice on requesting feedback on performance quality would be appreciated.

Thanks for having me, and I look forward to participating.

Jacob
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Hello Jacob, and welcome to LibriVox! I found my own hobby and community here, and I hope you have too. :wink:

Folks can ask for "Constructive Criticism", and let Proof Listeners know what types of optional feedback they'd like - technical, pronunciation, etc. A tiny bit more info on that in the Proof-Listing FAQ.

When you've got your equipment ready, you'll want to post a "1-minute test" to make sure all of the technical settings are right. Once you get the OK on that, you can sign up to read... well, anything that's no longer under copyright, but I'd recommend starting off with a section or two in a group project in the Short Works forum. Plenty of good projects for getting your feet wet! :mrgreen:

I saw you had a question about recording on mobile, but I don't have much for you there. Recording on mobile is pretty easy, but it's the editing that hangs it up!
Folks have asked before, and we've offered suggestions on multiple occasions, but we don't get many posts back to say what worked for folks on mobile-only. If you're able to export your recordings to a computer (PC, Mac or Linux), Audacity is the program I use and recommend for editing. :D
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Excellent.
Thank you for the guidance.