1-Minute Test Recording [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
swartzusa

Post by swartzusa »

Hello all,

I've recorded my 1-minute test recording and run it through the Checker program and it passed. Can a few people please provide some feedback for me so I can get started on the Librivox site?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_swartzusa.mp3

Recording software - Audacity
Operating system - Windows
Mic type - USB - Yeti Blue

Thank you for your help!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

swartzusa wrote: February 28th, 2024, 6:41 am Hello all,

I've recorded my 1-minute test recording and run it through the Checker program and it passed. Can a few people please provide some feedback for me so I can get started on the Librivox site?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_swartzusa.mp3

Recording software - Audacity
Operating system - Windows
Mic type - USB - Yeti Blue

Thank you for your help!

1 Minute Test Feedback:

Welcome to Librivox Heidi and thanks for posting your test file. We look forward to you joining the community!

Reading Feedback:
You have a clear, bright voice.

Technical Feedback:
  • 00:00 Note (no change needed): The volume of this track is 86.54dB. LV requires the overall volume for the track (measured by ReplayGain - you can try this tool if you want to check the volume) to be between 86-92dB (with 89dB being the ideal). The file falls within the outer ends of that range and so doesn't need to be changed but watch that it doesn't end up outside the range. The easiest way to automatically set the volume is to use the 'Loudness Normalization' effect (set to -19LUFS in 'perceived loudness' mode) in recent versions of Audacity before exporting the track as an MP3. If you use RMS normalization, set it to -21dB. Another way would be to use the Amplify effect set to 2dB.
  • 00:00 Your plosives (p, b, t, d, c etc. sounds) tended to 'pop' in this recording which generally means you are speaking directly into the microphone rather than at a slight angle. This can easily be improved with a change in microphone placement or using a pop filter. It can also be improved in post-processing by applying the High Pass Filter effect set to 120Hz and -12dB.
  • 00:00 Note (no change needed): The recording had some room echo or reverb. This tends to make the recording a little less clear. The easiest way to fix this is to be closer to the microphone but it can also be improved by dampening the solid walls in your recording room with a blanket or something similar. There's more info about that here. You can mitigate it after recording by using EQ to remove a bit of the bass. The 'Bass and Treble' effect in Audacity set to -2 on the bass produces an easy improvement. The reverb is within what is acceptable for a Librivox recording but I just thought I should mention it.
  • 00:00 Note (no change needed): There was some background hum on the recording. It might be the result of something in the background like an air conditioner or a fan and the easiest way to fix it is to switch it off or point the microphone away from the source. Another solution you can apply is noise reduction. This will reduce the hiss after recording but it does degrade the quality of the audio. Be gentle on the amount (I'd say a maximum of 6dB reduction but less is better) - many people overdo it. The hum is within what is acceptable for a Librivox recording but I just thought I should mention it.
Once you've tweaked these settings, upload the file again using the same filename (uploading to the same filename is important when you are submitting Librivox files) and post in the thread and I'll check it for you again!
swartzusa

Post by swartzusa »

Thank you for listening to my recording and giving such great feedback.

I ran the high pass filter effect as you suggested and uploaded the updated version. Would you mind taking another listen and let me know your thoughts?

Again, your feedback was really helpful and very thorough. Thank you very much!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

swartzusa wrote: February 29th, 2024, 5:14 am Thank you for listening to my recording and giving such great feedback.

I ran the high pass filter effect as you suggested and uploaded the updated version. Would you mind taking another listen and let me know your thoughts?

Again, your feedback was really helpful and very thorough. Thank you very much!
Reading Feedback:
Almost there!

Technical Feedback:
  • 00:00 The volume of this track is 85.87dB. LV requires the overall volume for the track (measured by ReplayGain - you can try this tool if you want to check the volume) to be between 86-92dB (with 89dB being the ideal). The easiest way to fix this automatically is to use the 'Loudness Normalization' effect (set to -19LUFS in 'perceived loudness' mode) in recent versions of Audacity before exporting the track as an MP3. If you use RMS normalization, set it to -21dB. Another way to fix it would be to use the Amplify effect set to 3dB.
Once you've tweaked these settings, upload the file again using the same filename (uploading to the same filename is important when you are submitting Librivox files) and post in the thread and I'll check it for you again!
swartzusa

Post by swartzusa »

I ran the Loudness Normalization effect and then ran the whole thing through Checker again and it passed.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks again for all the great advice! This is a terrific forum for getting things right on Librivox.

Many thanks!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

swartzusa wrote: March 1st, 2024, 4:04 am I ran the Loudness Normalization effect and then ran the whole thing through Checker again and it passed.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks again for all the great advice! This is a terrific forum for getting things right on Librivox.

Many thanks!
The technical specs of your test are fine and you are ready to record! Make sure you use the same settings as your test in future recordings. For any future files you submit, make sure that the intro has 0.75 seconds of silence at the start and 5 seconds of silence at the end. Also check the required filename in the project thread.

The best first step would be to take a section in a group project. You can find a list of open projects here (non-English here).

When you claim your very first section, don't forget to also post the name that you would like to appear in the catalog. Some people use their real name, a pseudonym or just a repeat of their forum username. You might prefer privacy or to use it as an opportunity to advertise yourself as a narrator.
swartzusa

Post by swartzusa »

That's great, thanks for all your help with this!
I look forward to completing my first narration.
Thanks again! :D