1 minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
apeiron

Post by apeiron »

Recording software is Audacity. I'm using a windows laptop, and mic is Conexant smartaudio.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_00_apeiron.mp3
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

apeiron wrote: February 25th, 2024, 9:02 pm Recording software is Audacity. I'm using a windows laptop, and mic is Conexant smartaudio.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_00_apeiron.mp3

1 Minute Test Feedback:

Welcome to Librivox Apeiron and thanks for posting your test file. We look forward to you joining the community!

Reading Feedback:
You have a clear, bright voice.

Technical Feedback:
  • 00:00 Note (no change needed): The recording had some room echo or reverb. This tends to make the recording a little less clear. The easiest way to fix this is to be closer to the microphone but it can also be improved by dampening the solid walls in your recording room with a blanket or something similar. There's more info about that here. You can mitigate it after recording by using EQ to remove a bit of the bass. The 'Bass and Treble' effect in Audacity set to -2 on the bass produces an easy improvement. The reverb is within what is acceptable for a Librivox recording but I just thought I should mention it.
  • 00:00 There was some hiss on the recording. It might be the result of a low input volume from the microphone which you have subsequently amplified to hit the Librivox volume range, in which case you might want to look into increasing the source volume (moving closer to the microphone or making sure the microphone is at full volume). Another solution you can apply is noise reduction. This will reduce the hiss after recording but it does degrade the quality of the audio. Be gentle on the amount (I'd say a maximum of 6dB reduction but less is better) - many people overdo it. Another option is a noise gate.
Once you've tweaked these settings, upload the file again using the same filename (uploading to the same filename is important when you are submitting Librivox files) and post in the thread and I'll check it for you again!
Emotions by James McCosh 91% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse Bible commentary by Christina Rossetti
Family Prayers 77%
Ecclesiastical History
Pascal
American State Trials
Orations
apeiron

Post by apeiron »

I recorded the test on a stereo channel and then exported it as mono. I'm asking if it's okay because recording it on mono channel seems to have drastically change the quality of the sound. If I set it up to mono channel before the recording, I sound like Darth Vader essentially.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Have you checked that the sample rate in Audacity and the sample rate of you microphone (in the WIndows recording settings) match? THat's the usual cause of Darth Vader.
Emotions by James McCosh 91% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse Bible commentary by Christina Rossetti
Family Prayers 77%
Ecclesiastical History
Pascal
American State Trials
Orations