Thanks!
Chapter 1 PL OK! Great job!
Thank you!
Yoganandh
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Winnifred wrote: January 5th, 2024, 10:20 am
Winnifred wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 5:38 pm
Cbteddy wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 4:22 pm May I have section 2?
Sure thing!

Thanks,
By the way, I'll PL this chapter when you submit it.
Thanks Winnifred! Chapter 2 is ready for PL whenever you have a chance. (12:43). I tried out some different voices for some of the characters. Hopefully they're not too ridiculous lol.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_02_pratt_128kb.mp3
Cheers, Claire
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers
Great Events in North & South America
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Cbteddy wrote: January 8th, 2024, 8:20 pm
Thanks Winnifred! Chapter 2 is ready for PL whenever you have a chance. (12:43). I tried out some different voices for some of the characters. Hopefully they're not too ridiculous lol.

Nicely read and the voices are not ridiculous at all. The differences are just enough to distinguish the different speakers (important when there are so many characters).

I do have a couple of corrections for you:
  • At 5:06, I hear “…—and cover a certain of the city, rallying at sundown…” but the text reads “…—and cover a certain section of the city, rallying at sundown…” I think it sounds a bit odd without that word (doesn’t really make sense), so needs correcting.
  • At 7:27, I hear “They gathered in the Times Square drug store in a strange babble of phonogenic voices and clang of metal parts…” but the text reads “They gathered in the Times Square drug store in a strange babble of phonographic voices and clang of metal parts…” That’s a change to the meaning, so will need correcting.
Thanks,
Winnifred
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Winnifred wrote: January 8th, 2024, 10:01 pm
Cbteddy wrote: January 8th, 2024, 8:20 pm

Nicely read and the voices are not ridiculous at all. The differences are just enough to distinguish the different speakers (important when there are so many characters).

I do have a couple of corrections for you:
  • At 5:06, I hear “…—and cover a certain of the city, rallying at sundown…” but the text reads “…—and cover a certain section of the city, rallying at sundown…” I think it sounds a bit odd without that word (doesn’t really make sense), so needs correcting.
  • At 7:27, I hear “They gathered in the Times Square drug store in a strange babble of phonogenic voices and clang of metal parts…” but the text reads “They gathered in the Times Square drug store in a strange babble of phonographic voices and clang of metal parts…” That’s a change to the meaning, so will need correcting.
Thanks,
Appreciate the feedback! Corrections have been made. New run time is now 12:45 and file has been uploaded.

Cheers, Claire
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers
Great Events in North & South America
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Cbteddy wrote: January 9th, 2024, 5:44 pm
Appreciate the feedback! Corrections have been made. New run time is now 12:45 and file has been uploaded.

And it is now PL OK.

Thanks,
Winnifred
richardwiedeman

Post by richardwiedeman »

Hello! I would like to record "Chapter 4: Flight!" if it's still available. Thank you.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

richardwiedeman wrote: January 30th, 2024, 7:06 pm Hello! I would like to record "Chapter 4: Flight!" if it's still available. Thank you.
Hi Richard, and welcome to Librivox!

Before I assign you a section, please make and submit a 1-minute test recording (1-minute test info) to make sure your recording set up meets Librivox standards. Post your test in the Forum appropriately named Post Your 1-Minute Test Recording Here and an experienced LVer will review it and provide feedback (and/or approve it).

This isn’t an audition, but just to make sure your technical specifications match those required by Librivox. (If you use Audacity, see Audacity 3.4.2 user? Here's how to ace this test for information about those specs.) It would be a shame to record a section then have to redo it because some basic setting is incorrect.

Once your test is approved, head back here and claim your section. I'll tentatively reserve section 4 for you for two weeks, pending that approval. When you return, please read the top of this thread carefully, as it contains all the instructions you'll need to submit your section.

I look forward to your first foray into reading for Librivox!

Cheers,
Winnifred
cssian

Post by cssian »

Greetings,

May I make a claim to Chapter 5?
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

cssian wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 12:51 pm Greetings,

May I make a claim to Chapter 5?
Hi Kevin,

Yes, you may. I see this is your first recording for Librivox, so I'm going to take the liberty of giving you a few tips.

Start by carefully reading the first post (page) of this project. It will tell you what you need to know about the amount of silence required at the beginning and end of your recording, what to say at the start and end (the disclaimers), what to name your files, where to upload them and which folder to select, how much time you have to complete and submit your recordings (2 months), and more. Feel free to ask questions if anything is unclear.

As for the actual recording, you made it through the 1-minute test, so it should be pretty straightforward. Just use the same settings as you did for your successful test. When you've finished editing, and have exported the file to mp3, you can use the free tool Checker to pre-check your MP3 file before you upload it.

I've set you up in the Librivox catalogue under the name cssian; if you want to change that later, you can ask any of the admins to do so. Here's your Reader page in the catalogue, which you can also reach from your name-link in the Magic Window. It lists all the projects you read for (completed and in progress). You can also keep track of your sections in ongoing projects from the link "Reader section details."

Happy reading!

Cheers,
Winnifred
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I've just laid claim to Sections 6 and 7.

Cheers,
Winnifred
cssian

Post by cssian »

Hello!

Nice take on CH6 - 7. Since indeed I'm new around these parts, could I pose a couple of questions?
(If these should be directed to another party, please correct me.)

1. My CH (5) introduces a bit of a non-standard word - tetrapteryxes - a name one of the characters gives to the flying birdish enemies.

In the case of a GROUP-read book, what is the expected behavior in regard to coordination of the various Readers who may utter the word?
For example, I think it appears in your chapters.

2. In a similar vein, what is the expected behavior for me (a later reader with respect to chapters) in relation to how character names have been pronounced by Readers of earlier chapters?

For example, there is a person named Archibald Tholfsen (introduced in CH 2); this name could easily be pronounced with a silent "H" or not.

I could, I believe, simply listen to any earlier chapters already submitted, but I think I read somewhere not to abuse the server with one-off downloads.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

KJ McGee
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

cssian wrote: February 4th, 2024, 7:07 pm Hello!

Nice take on CH6 - 7. Since indeed I'm new around these parts, could I pose a couple of questions?
(If these should be directed to another party, please correct me.)

1. My CH (5) introduces a bit of a non-standard word - tetrapteryxes - a name one of the characters gives to the flying birdish enemies.

In the case of a GROUP-read book, what is the expected behavior in regard to coordination of the various Readers who may utter the word?
For example, I think it appears in your chapters.

2. In a similar vein, what is the expected behavior for me (a later reader with respect to chapters) in relation to how character names have been pronounced by Readers of earlier chapters?

For example, there is a person named Archibald Tholfsen (introduced in CH 2); this name could easily be pronounced with a silent "H" or not.

I could, I believe, simply listen to any earlier chapters already submitted, but I think I read somewhere not to abuse the server with one-off downloads.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

KJ McGee
Hm. Tough questions. :lol: I’ll do my best. Generally speaking, I suspect many readers just guess, while the more conscientious will google how to pronounce words. BC’s occasionally provide pronunciation tips, but I haven’t as yet for this book. For tetrapteryxes, I’d suggest tet- (rhymes with met) rap- ter- (rhymes with tear, as in rip) icks- ess. That’s how I plan to pronounce it. I’ll add that to the first post. Thanks for the question.

Given that this was written by an American writer, I’d go with the American pronunciation of the name Tholfsen, in which the h is sounded. Given that mine are the only chapters submitted thus far, that would align with earlier chapters (you’re right; downloading chapters is frowned upon if you’re not the BC, MC, or PL).

I hope that addresses your questions?

Thanks,
Winnifred
Xtofer42

Post by Xtofer42 »

I'd like to claim chapter 8 please.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Xtofer42 wrote: February 5th, 2024, 8:23 am I'd like to claim chapter 8 please.
You've got it.

Thanks,
Winnifred
cssian

Post by cssian »

I hope that addresses your questions?
Yes! Thank you very much.

One other aspect of the flying lizard's scientific name that I'd suggest is to place the emphasis on the second syllable, RAP.
In faux-rhythm, by syllable, like this: weak-STRONG-weak-weak.

To me, that flows the easiest and sounds dinosaur-ish.

Good?