Correct file names for submission

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
berlingunning

Post by berlingunning »

I'm reading four chapters of section 3 of my book. The way the file name is supposed to be formatted it's only supposed to be title underscore author's last name, and section number, or maybe it's section number followed by author's last name. Either way, it doesn't include the chapter number of the section in the file name. How do we indicate chapter numbers in file names since we can't have different files under exactly the same name?

Berlin
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Like this, for example

bookexample_00_authorlastname_128kb.mp3
bookexample_01_authorlastname_128kb.mp3
bookexample_02_authorlastname_128kb.mp3
etc.

In the first post, it will show something like: theamazingbook_##_authorlastname_128kb.mp3 so where the ##'s are, you would replace that with the Chapter number (#). So, if you had say, Chapter 7, you would title it (for example): "bookexample_07_authorlastname_128kb.mp3"

Note: If you have a "section," it would be by the section title number in the MW.

Let us know if this helps! :D
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

berlingunning wrote: January 26th, 2024, 10:44 pm I'm reading four chapters of section 3 of my book. The way the file name is supposed to be formatted it's only supposed to be title underscore author's last name, and section number, or maybe it's section number followed by author's last name. Either way, it doesn't include the chapter number of the section in the file name. How do we indicate chapter numbers in file names since we can't have different files under exactly the same name?

Berlin
I believe you’re talking about a group project (Gulliver’s Travels, right?), where you have to follow the instructions in the first post for how to name your files. Those don’t include the chapter number. You’d be using the section numbers 23 through 26 in your file names (e.g., gulliverstravels_23_swift_128kb.mp3, etc.)

The chapter numbers don’t need to appear at all in the file name.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The answers given are correct but the really important bits are
Always use the file name as given in the first post of that project - it is very important.
And if you have a project-related question ask in the thread for that project.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Either way, it doesn't include the chapter number of the section in the file name. How do we indicate chapter numbers in file names since we can't have different files under exactly the same name?
You don't.

Zooming out to the big picture: the file name is simply an indicator of what file it is, not the chapter number. Think of a poetry project which doesn't have chapter numbers, or a book that is one big block of text with no chapter divisions. It doesn't matter for the file name; what we care about is that the file name contains the section number. That way all file numbers are sequential and contiguous; one can easily tell if one is missing. (If Chapter 7 were divided in a project, having 07a, 07b, 07c doesn't really tell us whether or not there was supposed to be an 07d. And when chapters are combined, it's really awkward to have title_040506_author_128kb or whatever the chapter numbers would be!)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

There might be some confusion over the word "section". Gulliver's Travels has parts, and within each part are chapters. Berlin seems to be referring to these parts as sections. Everyone else here is using the word to refer to LV sections, which are the numbered lines in the magic window. Berlin's sections are 23 through 26. Those are the numbers that go in the file names.
Tom Penn