[COMPLETE][Short Stories]The Black Cat Vol. 03 No. 12 September 1898 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sonrisaj

Post by Sonrisaj »

Got it! Straight to my inbox. I think the bit about them not arriving if I don't respond may have impacted my receiving them? But then, I see messages going back to July...
Will keep my eyes peeled in future :roll:

Thank you,

Linda
What is laughter? It is the glorious sound of a soul waking up. -- Hafez
AllenO

Post by AllenO »

All right, Sonia, Section 3 is ready with a time of 20:23.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0312sep1898_3_various_128kb.mp3
pyledriver

Post by pyledriver »

Kitty wrote: November 21st, 2023, 12:49 am
thank you, Chris, what an interesting, though sad story. I like the oriental setting too, it lends beautifully to the mystery of the story. Excellently narrated.

Only one small textual error:

> at 9:39: (p. 39) "if however, I pass her, she must kill her driver" – you say "you", which does not make sense in this plot. I guess it should be emphasized "she must kill her driver", as counterbalance to the fair sister killing her own driver in case they lose.

and since you have to reupload anyway, please also correct the filename, there is an unneeded _ at the end of 128kb

Thanks

Sonia
15:36

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0312sep1898_4_various_128kb_.mp3
JulieB3

Post by JulieB3 »

Because you obviously don't have enough to do. :lol:

I hope you enjoy it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0312sep1898_2_various_128kb.mp3 30:19
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:shock: woah ! you guys have been busy here. This went faster than I expected now
AllenO wrote: December 7th, 2023, 3:20 pmAll right, Sonia, Section 3 is ready with a time of 20:23.
:lol: the accents and voices you are doing for the bickering old couple are simply priceless. I felt like in a Monty Python sketch.

I am seriously puzzled about that swear-word starting with "con" though...any idea what she meant ? :hmm:

Have I ever asked you whether you want to particpate in our drama projects ? If not, I should have :mrgreen: if you pick a role in any of Todd's new launched comedies, chances are high you will get me as DPL again ;)

The story is very funny and superbly narrated. Absolutely PL ok. Thank you, Allen, and I hope to hear more from you soon.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, perfectly edited and PL ok now :)
(though careful: the filename still is wrong with the added _ at the end, but no need to reupload, I can correct it on my end here.)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JulieB3 wrote: December 7th, 2023, 9:05 pmBecause you obviously don't have enough to do. :lol:
I hope you enjoy it.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0312sep1898_2_various_128kb.mp3 30:19
haha, I definitely had enough to do when I saw the traffic in this project over night.

As for enjoying the story...yes and no...your narration as always was wonderful and spot on, no doubt PL ok. The ending...I'm not sure I enjoy, I think the princess did not deserve getting the emperor, to be honest. He started out teaching her a lesson, but in the end, she will have learnt that beauty gets her out of any trouble after all. There could have been a better moral to this story.

Ah well, still, it was a beautifully crafted story, and yes, I enjoyed it. 8-) Thank you so much, Julie.

That means we are at the end of this project. Here are the teasers for your stories:
> Holding Down a Homestead: loneliness and a bad conscience can drive people crazy
> The Clasp of Fire: how a Russian princess was taught humility
> A Soft Soap Affair: learn about the ingenious plot to have two young lovers make up again
> The Camels of Iphi: two brothers must ride a race for their lives
> Mr. Jones's Dream: an example of what can happen to superstitious travellers
A big thanks to all our readers: Shannon, Julie, Allen, Chris and Greg !!!

Time for me to catalogue, I will post the link once it's done.

Oh and as always, here is the link to the next Black Cat: viewtopic.php?t=100751
We will be starting VOLUME 4 now !!!! 36 issues we have already done, time flies. :9:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

it passed like a charm:

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/black-cat-03-12-sep1898-by-various/

moving to completed...

Sonia
AllenO

Post by AllenO »

Kitty wrote: December 8th, 2023, 5:19 am :shock: woah ! you guys have been busy here. This went faster than I expected now
AllenO wrote: December 7th, 2023, 3:20 pmAll right, Sonia, Section 3 is ready with a time of 20:23.
:lol: the accents and voices you are doing for the bickering old couple are simply priceless. I felt like in a Monty Python sketch.

I am seriously puzzled about that swear-word starting with "con" though...any idea what she meant ? :hmm:

Have I ever asked you whether you want to particpate in our drama projects ? If not, I should have :mrgreen: if you pick a role in any of Todd's new launched comedies, chances are high you will get me as DPL again ;)

The story is very funny and superbly narrated. Absolutely PL ok. Thank you, Allen, and I hope to hear more from you soon.

Sonia
Always great working with you, Sonia. Thank you for the very kind words.

I am as puzzled as you are about continental being a swear word. I will have to ask my Texas friend if she knows anything about it.

I did a role with Todd as Manford in The Show Must Go On in October and quite enjoyed it. I will have to do another especially if you're the DPL.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AllenO wrote: December 9th, 2023, 10:15 amI am as puzzled as you are about continental being a swear word. I will have to ask my Texas friend if she knows anything about it.
well I was more thinking that "continental" was only a bashful substitute for a real swear-word, probably starting with "con". Like saying "deuce" for "devil" or "darn" for "damn" or many others.
I did a role with Todd as Manford in The Show Must Go On in October and quite enjoyed it. I will have to do another especially if you're the DPL.
I am currently active in the Gamester (hint: we still need a Rake for that one - small role), Rudens, Lady Bountiful and The town before you. All great comedies. :mrgreen:

Maybe I'll be seeing you around in one or more of them !

Sonia
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I have heard it used as a swearword substitute. Like:

"I don't give a continental".

There was a Melbourne radio host, Ernie Sigley [RIP, a real nice guy] and I remember him humorously saying that sentence on radio a few times. I suppose that it could be seen as offensive the same way that sometimes substitutes like 8*( etc are banned from some chat rooms. It's a bit old fashioned. You wouldn't hear continental used like that now.
Use an RSS Feed and you will never be hungry again.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lightcrystal wrote: December 9th, 2023, 2:34 pmI have heard it used as a swearword substitute. Like:
"I don't give a continental".
interesting...well still I think continental is probably a substitute for something really offensive. Couldn't find it anywhere online though.

Well...let's close this project now, any other discussions about swear words should probably be done via PM :lol:

Sonia
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I knew I'd read it somewhere and not thought it swearing
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/not+give+a+continental

not give a continental
To be disinterested or indifferent. During the American Revolution, the Continental Congress issued a form of currency known as the "continental" that proved worthless due to rapid depreciation. If you think I care what he says, you're wrong—I don't give a continental! I know you don't give a continental about your room being clean, but can you at least pick the clothes up off the floor once in a while?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

annise wrote: December 10th, 2023, 5:01 amI knew I'd read it somewhere and not thought it swearing
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/not+give+a+continental
not give a continental
To be disinterested or indifferent. During the American Revolution, the Continental Congress issued a form of currency known as the "continental" that proved worthless due to rapid depreciation. If you think I care what he says, you're wrong—I don't give a continental! I know you don't give a continental about your room being clean, but can you at least pick the clothes up off the floor once in a while?
:clap: indeed that sounds like the right explanation, also fitting with the text. So in this case it's not swearing. The lady in question was a bit too coy about it in the story :lol:

thank you, Anne, for putting our minds at rest.

Sonia
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Well, I suppose it depends on your definition of swearing :D . It's a replacement for a "four-letter word" which may not have gotten past the USA censors then.

Anne