ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Bummer! I scheduled a work meeting for that time on 9 October. That’s okay, though, I’ll try to catch you all next month. :)
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Will there be a Zoom session this coming Monday? (Oct 9th)
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
msfry

Post by msfry »

MaryinArkansas wrote: October 7th, 2023, 10:41 am Will there be a Zoom session this coming Monday? (Oct 9th)
I expect so, though I haven't much to share. Mark has one thing to show us cover makers if he's available, I have a nice little tip for BC's, but then what? Phil is working on something interesting if one of you would agree to be "interviewed".
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I haven’t done anything LibriVox wise in a while, so thought it would be nice to catch up. I know you’ve been super busy with the free thought project. It would be interesting to know if it’s anything like you expected, what’s been surprising about it, etc.

And to find out what Phil has going on. 🤔

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Yeah, if it’s just the usual half dozen attendees I don’t see any point in presenting something that no one cares about. Maybe in the future if the situation changes.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
msfry

Post by msfry »

sjmarky wrote: October 8th, 2023, 5:34 pm Yeah, if it’s just the usual half dozen attendees I don’t see any point in presenting something that no one cares about. Maybe in the future if the situation changes.
I'm with you on that. Unless people step up with something to present, there's not much point in holding a meeting.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Without further input, let's go ahead and cancel today's meeting. We'll try again next month.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Well, I've managed to get behind in almost everything I have to do this morning, so I won't be able to Zoom today.

msfry

Post by msfry »

But one thing I was going to do at the meeting is congratulate regular Zoom contributors Mary, Phil, and Lynette on their October Libriversaries this month. Mary's 15th year. Phil's 13th. Lynette's 4th.

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Cool, thanks :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Thank you Michele for my Libriversary well wishes. My poor old car is very sick and being worked on today so that I'm stuck at home until I can get a substitute with wheels. Which will probably be several days. So much for planning, eh? Thanks again for the well wishes. 13 years! wow. :D :birthday:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

philchenevert wrote: October 9th, 2023, 7:49 am Thank you Michele for my Libriversary well wishes. My poor old car is very sick and being worked on today so that I'm stuck at home until I can get a substitute with wheels. Which will probably be several days. So much for planning, eh? Thanks again for the well wishes. 13 years! wow. :D :birthday:
Jupiter takes 12 years to do one orbit around the Sun. Jupiter sends you well wishes. :clap:
Use an RSS Feed and you will never be hungry again.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Obviously, no Zoom session this Monday, today, to make up for the previous two missed Mondays.

I'm sad about that, but unless something changes, there simply isn't enough enthusiasm to keep my spirits up about continuing this project. Maybe there's a more convenient time? Maybe a different way to reach more people? Maybe only when there's something special to present? I'm always itching to share a tip or two and and at least one brag, but that doesn't take up an hour.

Meanwhile, I'm subscribed here, listening, if anyone wants to say anything or share ideas for keeping this going.
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Just a couple ideas:

I have never joined one of these as I am probably too introverted to jump in and usually on zooms I just sit there not contributing much. So I was wondering if there was a way to engage folks in a LibriVox performance type way. Maybe there are some improv games/ice breakers that would translate to zoom like the one word stories where everyone stands in a circle and going around contributes one word and we see what story emerges--that was usually good for a lot of laughs in live improv classes. Or maybe a short dramatic story or one act play could be planned ahead of time and voxxers could do a live table read, not worrying about mistakes and word-perfectness of course (could even add to the fun🤪). Or folks could pick short poems to read....

Anyhoo, hope you regain enthusiasm for the project, Michele!

scotty
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Zoom seemed to work best when we were isolating during the early days of Covid. With people now able to get out more, the Zoom chat sessions aren’t needed as much.

Maybe some LibriVox folks could submit some short videos (say 3 to 5 minutes) on projects they’re working on, which could be combined into one video for YouTube showing what LibriVox people could be interested in. Perhaps they could be combined into a monthly video. Something like:

Joann: What I discovered about Charles Dickens when I read David Copperfield
Mike: Some voice exercises I do before recording
Michele: My enjoyment in discovering a “new” early 20th century writer
Bill: What I learned about Italy when recording old Italian folk tales
Phil: Getting out of my 18th century romance comfort zone and recording an article on baseball
Betty: Tips that I recently learned to improve my recording

And so on.