1 Minute Librivox test by gorillareader! [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Greetings gorilla

You must submit audio files via the LibriVox Uploader. The instructions for using it are at the top of this forum: viewtopic.php?t=90874
We do not use DropBox or any other external links.

I did download your test from DropBox and I see it is in stereo. LibriVox requires audio that is 128kbps constant bit rate, 44.1kHz sample rate, mono, and between 86db and 92db, preferably 89-90.

You can pre-check your audio yourself by downloading the free Checker app: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/
Passed with Warnings is a fail with regard to volume.
Go to Validation>Choose Validation Methods and check Background Noise. Be sure to leave 5 seconds blank at the end of your recording.

I just saw your other post in Help. There is something wrong with your mp3 file. How was it created? Please include the hardware and software you are using.

Please make a new test recording and post it in a reply to this message. I will come back and review it for you.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
gorillareader

Post by gorillareader »

i was formerly using the mic on my I-Phone for earlier demos. Then I purchased the Samson Go Mic and did the test recording. When I tried to give it to Librivox it gave me the warning that the file type is not allowed, either in original M4A format or adjusted to MP3
format. So, if I cannot download the test recording, how can I be able to check it with the checker app?
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

What app are you using to record? What software are you using to convert the m4a to mp3? Are you doing this on a computer, or on the phone? I need info so I can help.

If you are using an iPhone app, check this out: A video tutorial on recording on an iPhone or iPad is available here: https://youtu.be/6qG6zUTYfbc

My website
My Librivox reader page
gorillareader

Post by gorillareader »

I'm not sure if it's any other app other than the one Samson uses when it connects to my computer (Windows). The Samson mic apparently records in m4a only. I changed the file name to read as mp3. I don't have any other details.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Okay, no. You cannot change the file format just by changing the .m4a to .mp3. The Samson is using whatever software on whatever device you are using to record. The Samson does not have software.

So again:

What hardware are you recording with? Laptop? iPhone? Something else? Please, just tell me.

What software is that device using to record your audio? You must launch something to record with. Voice Memos? Audacity? Something else?

We can work through this, but I can't help you without knowing what you are working with.

My website
My Librivox reader page
gorillareader

Post by gorillareader »

Okay...I'm using my desktop computer as the hardware, apparently. When something is recorded on the Samson mic and stored on my computer, it utilizes Windows Media Player in order for me to hear it. When I plug the Samson mic into the USB port, I then have to use the drop-down menu on my desktop to locate "Voice Recorder". Then, a small box appears on the desktop with an icon that I click on, and the Samson mic automatically records and stores it unless I discard it immediately.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

gorillareader wrote: October 6th, 2023, 5:33 pm Okay...I'm using my desktop computer as the hardware, apparently. When something is recorded on the Samson mic and stored on my computer, it utilizes Windows Media Player in order for me to hear it. When I plug the Samson mic into the USB port, I then have to use the drop-down menu on my desktop to locate "Voice Recorder". Then, a small box appears on the desktop with an icon that I click on, and the Samson mic automatically records and stores it unless I discard it immediately.
If you're going to use your desktop computer for recording, I think it's worth download Audacity where you can record and also edit your recordings. The "Voice Recorder" you are using on your computer presumably only records audio and doesn't allow any editing, which is crucial for fixing errors, adjusting volume, etc. So if you download Audacity and set it up for recording: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Audacity_1-2-3

then you can export an mp3 file and upload it here for checking again :thumbs:
gorillareader

Post by gorillareader »

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Hi again

Okay, got a valid mp3, but other changes are necessary. LibriVox requires audio that is 128kbps constant bit rate, 44.1kHz sample rate, mono, and between 86db and 92db, preferably 89-90. Your test audio is 256kbps, stereo, and volume too low at 75db.

Make sure the the input gain slider in Audacity (upper right with the little mic icon) is well to the right. Then adjust the input gain on your mic so your raw recording has wave forms that peak at about the 0.5 marks in the Audacity window:

If necessary, adjust the volume level before exporting by going to Effects>Amplify.

When exporting your MP3 from Audacity, be sure to check Bit Rate Mode - Constant, then select 128kb from the pull-down menu, and check Force Export to Mono.

You can pre-check your audio yourself by downloading the free Checker app: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/
Passed with Warnings is a fail with regard to volume.
Go to Validation>Choose Validation Methods and check Background Noise. Be sure to leave 5 seconds blank at the end of your recording.

Please make a new test recording and post it in a reply to this message. Please don't start a new thread. I will come back and review it for you.

My website
My Librivox reader page
gorillareader

Post by gorillareader »

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Okay, you are good to go.

Happy narrating!

My website
My Librivox reader page