The Scarlet Pimpernel Series

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
RonniLee

Post by RonniLee »

I’d like to be a part of recording some of the books from this series. I don’t have time to do solo, but am looking if there’s anyone else interested to collaborate. There seems to be many of the first book, “The Scarlet Pimpernel”, but not many of the other books. I want to started with “The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel”, since “Sir Percy Leads the Band” is apparently not in the public domain. Anyone interested?
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

RonniLee wrote: October 5th, 2023, 11:14 am I’d like to be a part of recording some of the books from this series. I don’t have time to do solo, but am looking if there’s anyone else interested to collaborate. There seems to be many of the first book, “The Scarlet Pimpernel”, but not many of the other books. I want to started with “The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel”, since “Sir Percy Leads the Band” is apparently not in the public domain. Anyone interested?
Hi Ronni,

Looks like there’s a completed group version of this already at https://librivox.org/the-league-of-the-scarlet-pimpernel-by-baroness-orczy/, plus an abandoned solo version. That doesn’t mean you can’t do it, of course, but just in case you weren’t aware that it’s been done. You don’t need to recruit a team up front; that generally happens after the project has been set up.

Group projects require someone to set them up and act as book coordinator (accepting claims, following up if they’re late, setting up and maintaining the Magic Window, and more). You might want to hold off on taking that on until you’ve had some more recording experience and get more familiar with how everything works here.

I see you’ve already claimed a couple of chapters elsewhere, so you’re well on your way!

Cheers,
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes
RonniLee

Post by RonniLee »

Thank you, Winnifred.

I was aware that there was a group version, but wanted to be a part of another one. I definitely don’t have the experience to start one myself but just putting it out there and maybe someone else would like to take it up.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

RonniLee wrote: October 5th, 2023, 1:34 pm Thank you, Winnifred.

I was aware that there was a group version, but wanted to be a part of another one. I definitely don’t have the experience to start one myself but just putting it out there and maybe someone else would like to take it up.
Makes sense.

I’ve got quite a few things on the go right now, and haven’t read the books yet, but maybe down the road a little way? I really should read some of the series first. Maybe a fellow fan will show up here sooner than that, though.

Cheers,
Winnifred
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

RonniLee wrote: October 5th, 2023, 1:34 pm Thank you, Winnifred.

There is actually a Pimpernel sequel in the public domain that hasn't been recorded yet:
Sir Percy Hits Back (1927)
https://www.google.com/books/edition/Sir_Percy_Hits_Back/u6UFAQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

flavo5000 wrote: October 5th, 2023, 4:04 pm There is actually a Pimpernel sequel in the public domain that hasn't been recorded yet:
https://www.google.com/books/edition/Sir_Percy_Hits_Back/u6UFAQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover
Cool! I was looking for a 1927 edition of that one, but HT and IA didn't have it (only a 1950 edition).

Does this one show as Full View for you in the US? It's not available for me in Canada. If you can see it, I'll request full access, since it's PD here, too.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

While you are waiting, you do need to do your 1 minute test - it's not an audition but you do need to get the tech bits we have to use right before you start reading.

Anne
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

TriciaG wrote: October 5th, 2023, 4:06 pm
flavo5000 wrote: October 5th, 2023, 4:04 pm There is actually a Pimpernel sequel in the public domain that hasn't been recorded yet:
Cool! I was looking for a 1927 edition of that one, but HT and IA didn't have it (only a 1950 edition).

Does this one show as Full View for you in the US? It's not available for me in Canada. If you can see it, I'll request full access, since it's PD here, too.
Yep, it's full view for me.

Oh, I also found this one:
The first Sir Percy (1921)
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.319510020804485&seq=9

Doesn't look like it has been recorded either. It's one of the Pimpernel ancestor books.
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

TriciaG wrote: October 5th, 2023, 4:06 pm

https://archive.org/details/sir-percy-hits-back

It takes a little while for the derive to finish so that it shows up as a normal IA book.

Greg
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thats great Greg
It is already on faded page though going by the cover and the cost it may be a later edition
PG Australia also has it - and his cover looks more likely an original one
Anne
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

annise wrote: October 6th, 2023, 6:48 pm Thats great Greg
It is already on faded page though going by the cover and the cost it may be a later edition
PG Australia also has it - and his cover looks more likely an original one
Anne
I have never been able to clear anything on PGA for PGUS. I looked at the fadedpage copy and I don't think I can clear it with PGUS.

Greg
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

flavo5000 wrote: October 5th, 2023, 4:23 pm
Oh, I also found this one:
The first Sir Percy (1921)
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.319510020804485&seq=9

Doesn't look like it has been recorded either. It's one of the Pimpernel ancestor books.
Would this be an acceptable version: http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0602601h.html? It would be much easier to get word counts from this than the Hathitrust version (I'm thinking of setting this up as a group project). Or I could get the word counts from the Gutenberg Australia site (since they really only need to be approximate) and use the Hathitrust for the reading version.

Thanks,
Winnifred
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

The actual reading will need to be from HathiTrust or another provably PD source, but pulling a word count from Gutenberg AU ought to be just fine. :thumbs:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

redrun wrote: October 7th, 2023, 5:23 pm The actual reading will need to be from HathiTrust or another provably PD source, but pulling a word count from Gutenberg AU ought to be just fine. :thumbs:
Great! Thanks.
Winnifred
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The Google Books version of Sir Percy Hits Back is now viewable for everyone - but now that it's on IA, it doesn't matter. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart