questions on reading

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Marty7766

Post by Marty7766 »

Hello all!
I have just received the ok on my 1 min test and have posted a short poem. Now, I am ready to record a chapter and I have several questions on how to actually read a section. I saw somewhere, the suggestion to copy and paste the text into a new document for ease of reading and no page turning, etc. I am very interested to know how different folks deal with this. Do most people read directly from the computer screen? If so, do you have any suggestions for reducing eye strain? I saw a video that suggested changing the background color of the document but I cannot remember specifics and cannot find the video, lol. Do some read from a printed copy? If so how dow you manage to avoid rustling paper? Is is best to read the section in its entirety, creating one long track?
Any suggestions appreciated! I am sure all of this is covered, so if you will direct me to the video tutorials, that would be great. I am thrilled and a bit overwhelmed at the amount of information available on this site!

Martha
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Welcome! Those are all very good questions, and ones I've tried to handle myself a little bit :lol:

If you are using audacity, it's very easy to edit out any long pauses (even ones where page rusting could happen!) So, for any purpose on needing to pause for a page, etc, it can be easily edited out!
Marty7766 wrote: August 9th, 2023, 3:17 pm Do most people read directly from the computer screen? If so, do you have any suggestions for reducing eye strain?
What I try to do is turn my computer brightness down to a lower level. As I get headaches from light sensitivity and my eyes a little sensitive to certain things, this does surprisingly help! I do now, of course, have glasses that help block some of the more harmful computer lights being projected.
the suggestion to copy and paste the text into a new document for ease of reading and no page turning, etc.
For our dramatic works, we actually use google docs (or other forms of "docs"). I'm not too sure if that will do as much though, because you would still have to scroll through occasionally. As for the eye strain, I'm not too sure how to edit a doc and make it easier to look at.
Marty7766 wrote: August 9th, 2023, 3:17 pm Do some read from a printed copy? If so how dow you manage to avoid rustling paper? Is is best to read the section in its entirety, creating one long track?
We cannot read from a printed copy (I believe anyway). We are supposed to use whatever link from gutenberg or archive public domain sites etc we can use!

As for recording longer sections, it depends on how much you'd like to read, really. Some read shorter sections, some longer! I would recommend taking breaks for every 30 minutes, but that's my personal preference of course.

Hope this helps! Let us know if there are any other questions you have! Excited to see you around the forums! :D
Thanks
Elijah
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We cannot read from a printed copy (I believe anyway). We are supposed to use whatever link from gutenberg or archive public domain sites etc we can use!
Read from the text you're given in the first post. I suppose you could print it out, but that would be a lot of paper and toner/ink!

Some soloists may read from a hard copy of a work, when there is a book they want to record but that isn't available online. (We verify it's PD by having the reader scan or take a photo of the title page and copyright page, then uploading those to us.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Marty7766

Post by Marty7766 »

TriciaG,
Thank you! I had already been wondering about that. I had a couple of titles that I was pretty sure were in the PD, but had not been able to find them online. All very exciting!

Martha
Marty7766

Post by Marty7766 »

Elijah!
Thank you so much! That was fast...and thorough. Your answers were all very helpful!
I posted a response earlier, but somehow it disappeared. Lol. I'll get the hang of all of this eventually!
Thanks again!

Martha
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That is the main reason we encourage people to start the LV journey in group projects - there someone else has done all the background work and you can just concentrate on reading - and absorbing the other stuff.
USA copyright is far from being simple and if somehow we let something through that was challenged it would almost certainly be taken down thus wasting everyone's time (All our books are a team effort depending on those upfront and those you haven't heard of and are never mentioned :D )

Anne
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I read from my iPad, so I can see Audacity on my laptop, monitor the volume levels, and follow along in case I have to stop recording for any reason. I try not to stop though (just repeat anything I’m not happy with and delete the slips later).

I sometimes copy and paste the material into a Word doc so I can add in the intro and outro and read it all from one source.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
anneflebari

Post by anneflebari »

As above I read from tablet with audacity recording on laptop. I find 20 minutes is the average length of time before I take a break..eases the voice, eyes and back🙂 Unless I make a real mess of something I keep recording and delete afterwards, but for longer repeated stuff ups I use "shift D" (deletes to the right then keeps recording)..The app I use for downloading is Read Era, a freebie, you can change font, background colour and size. Good luck and enjoy! Anne F
Marty7766

Post by Marty7766 »

anneflebari wrote: August 11th, 2023, 1:26 pm for longer repeated stuff ups I use "shift D" (deletes to the right then keeps recording)..The app I use for downloading is Read Era, a freebie, you can change font, background colour and size. Good luck and enjoy! Anne F
So helpful!! Thank you!

Martha