All about Guaraní Indians

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

After watching the movie “The Mission”, I was disappointed to find that our catalog doesn’t have any audiobooks related to the Guaraní Indians’ life and massacre. There are a few books about them on Gutenberg, but they are written in Spanish, French, and Portuguese. With great disappointment, I am unable to read the previously mentioned languages, but if anyone here can read them and is interested in this topic, I’d love to see one of these books make it to the catalog!

If you have no clue about who the Guaraní Indians were/are, I highly recommend you watch the 1986 movie "The Mission" (not PD, obviously! :lol:)

Here’s a bit about them on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guaran%C3%AD_people

And here are the books:

- El Imperio Jesuítico (In Spanish)

- Memoria Histórica, Geográfica, Política, y Económica sobre la Provincia de Misiones de Indios Guaranís (In Spanish - This one looks very promising)

- Le Guaranis (In French but this is more of a novel than a bio)

- A Vanished Arcadia: Being Some Account of the Jesuits in Paraguay 1607-1767 (Just found one book in English, but it’s mainly about the Jesuit priests who helped them rather than the Guaraní themselves).

I haven’t personally read them all from cover to cover. I used Google Translate to make sure these books are on the correct topic, but I cannot vouch that one or two of them have racial comments against the Guaraní because of the messy political opinions in those countries during that era :(
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave