[COMPLETE][Short Stories]The Doctor's Red Lamp by Charles Wells Moulton - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DropDLife

Post by DropDLife »

Just checking in re: sections 16 and 17 since they've been sitting for awhile. Should be submitted this week.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

DropDLife wrote: June 18th, 2023, 8:53 am Just checking in re: sections 16 and 17 since they've been sitting for awhile. Should be submitted this week.
Thank you for the update!
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Just going back through some old files before archiving them and realised that I haven't yet had feedback on Section 30 which I uploaded on 2 May at the same time as Section 8 (that has been fedback).
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Beeswaxcandle wrote: June 19th, 2023, 2:40 am Just going back through some old files before archiving them and realised that I haven't yet had feedback on Section 30 which I uploaded on 2 May at the same time as Section 8 (that has been fedback).
My apologies! I hadn't entered the file into the MW, and this entire time I hadn't thought it was submitted yet :oops: I will try and PL this very soon, I'm so sorry for the delay! Please feel free to let any BC know if things look a little off, I don't mean to have you wait so long.

Thanks
Elijah
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

BCarlson wrote: June 8th, 2023, 6:12 pm Here is the link for the recording with the changes: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/doctorsredlamp_23_moulton_128kb.mp3 - 37.05

Brie

Brie,

I am so sorry. Somehow I missed this. Great job! Section 23 is PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
nfadrowski

Post by nfadrowski »

Elijah,

It took me a little while to get my 1 min test approved. I had some tweaking to do but looks like I am ready to go now! I just wanted to let you know that I still would like to do the section I claimed. I didn't want you to think I abandoned it since it has taken me so long :)

Thanks!
Natalie
ej400

Post by ej400 »

nfadrowski wrote: June 22nd, 2023, 4:53 am Elijah,

It took me a little while to get my 1 min test approved. I had some tweaking to do but looks like I am ready to go now! I just wanted to let you know that I still would like to do the section I claimed. I didn't want you to think I abandoned it since it has taken me so long :)

Thanks!
Natalie
Thank you for the update! And no worries!
DropDLife

Post by DropDLife »

Nodoka

Post by Nodoka »

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

DropDLife wrote: June 24th, 2023, 12:54 pm Section 16 ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/doctorsredlamp_16_moulton_128kb.mp3
29:49
James,

Fantastic reading. Welcome to Librivox!! Keep up the good work.

I just found two small things:

2:43 a stripling youth Regional and National pronunciations are not, and a rule, noted. But in this case, unless this is the regional pronunciation that is used where you live, the 'standard' pronunciation of “stripling” is with a 'short' ..i… as in strip'-ling.

4:30.5 seemed to wish, by a sign that he made, You added the word 'had' between he and made. A small thing, but I think it kind of changes the tense or time frame of the sentence. But your call, of course.

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Nodoka wrote: June 24th, 2023, 2:50 pm section 26 now at 43:14
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/doctorsredlamp_26_moulton_128kb.mp3
Thanks,
Nodoka
Nodoka,

You did a great job in the spacings of the phrases. It was much more enjoyable to listen to. That is something to try to emulate as you continue on your Librivox journey.

Now, I don't know if I missed some stuff the first time through or what, but I found some things that should probably be fixed:

33.5 resounding like the crack of doom. I heard with

1:36.5 Why, for example, I should have been considered eligible for the V. I. S., You said should I

7:13.5 Then Miss Withers’ gentle voice piped up. You said Mrs.

13:37 on a little matter of business You said on a matter of a little business

14:51 Would the law be obliged to take its course?” You said obligated. Minor, but I think important difference.

18:37 You said precisely the right thing, You said precise

20:14.5 stared from the lawn Two things in this: I think in this context, 'stared' is Simple past tense and past participle of stare. Also, could you emphasize a little the 'n' at the end of lawn?

20:16 while a “rockery The first syllable of 'rockery' is Rock.

35:18 from some hidden draught or jar, This is the old spelling of draft and is pronounced that way.

36:15 and hot toast You added an a between 'and' and 'hot'

Keep up the good work,

Wayne
Wayne
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Beeswaxcandle wrote: June 19th, 2023, 2:40 am Just going back through some old files before archiving them and realised that I haven't yet had feedback on Section 30 which I uploaded on 2 May at the same time as Section 8 (that has been fedback).
Your section is PL OK!
DropDLife

Post by DropDLife »

Kalamareader wrote: June 24th, 2023, 5:06 pm
DropDLife wrote: June 24th, 2023, 12:54 pm Section 16 ready for PL:
29:49
James,

Fantastic reading. Welcome to Librivox!! Keep up the good work.

I just found two small things:

2:43 a stripling youth Regional and National pronunciations are not, and a rule, noted. But in this case, unless this is the regional pronunciation that is used where you live, the 'standard' pronunciation of “stripling” is with a 'short' ..i… as in strip'-ling.

4:30.5 seemed to wish, by a sign that he made, You added the word 'had' between he and made. A small thing, but I think it kind of changes the tense or time frame of the sentence. But your call, of course.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne! Here's a new upload with both fixes. Nothing regional...I just didn't do my homework.

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

ej400 wrote: June 25th, 2023, 10:01 pm Here is section 6:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/doctorsredlamp_06_moulton_128kb.mp3 -15:48
Thanks
Elijah,

A very interesting story with an ending I didn't expect.

Here are a few things you might want to look at:

1:41.75 and presently joined me at the hearth As you know the PL rules about Regional and National pronunciations, this is just an observation, that the standard pronunciation is Harth. Your call.

3:32.5 does not at all disguise the hidden impudence of your demand; Again, the standard pronunciation
im'-pu-dence is with the accent on the first syllable.

3:40.75 and no manifestation of your unworthiness to hear it You said but. Small perhaps, but I think important.

4:07.25 a wealthy planter of Colonial Virginia You said Colonel .

4:11 and as stanch a Tory Three errors in this one (1) 'Stanch' is an old spelling of staunch and is pronounced the same, (2) you said as (3) and you said Troy.

5:52 ragamuffin It is pronounced rag-a-muffin (general term of reprehension.)

6:42.25 and almost at the same instant You added the word time between same and instant.

6:51.75 heralded by a single gust of wind, You said heraled

7:16.5 solemnity Pronounced sə-lĕm′nĭ-tē

7:36.25 when I have it with me I feel an unaccountable desire to open it and consult it, I heard accountable

7:51 with a You said the

8:35.25 if his yearning for his You said in

8:45 Now, that is my story You said this. “That” puts in the past tense, as he had told it.

10:14 but first I should make a little experiment in psychology You said take

12:14.75 The boughs “boughs” is pronounced like bows, as in 'he bows to the king.'

12:35 of the watch a full hour; You said a

12:44.25 I began, with assumed carelessness, You said amused

15:09.5 and that he had I heard has

Not and easy read.

Wayne
Wayne