[CHILDREN] My Father's Dragon, by Ruth Stiles Gannet -jo

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

LCaulkins wrote: June 6th, 2023, 6:19 pm So, on your solo, you won't have to past the link in here since you put it into the MW yourself.

I'll see it fastest if you post a comment here, though, just saying you posted ch. whatever. :)
Ok, I'll do that. :D
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Haha!!! Norah, this is really marvelously read! It will be a very nice treat to hear each file. :)

Hey, before I set my DPL mark in the MW on section 1, I want to ask you if you like to get helpful pointers, or just the bare Standard PL that LibriVox lists?

(for example, on this file I would mention that some Noise Reduction would make it even more wonderful than it already is, as it does register a fairly high level in Checker, and I can explain exactly how to use that if it's a new editing trick to you)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

LCaulkins wrote: June 8th, 2023, 4:39 pm Haha!!! Norah, this is really marvelously read! It will be a very nice treat to hear each file. :)

Hey, before I set my DPL mark in the MW on section 1, I want to ask you if you like to get helpful pointers, or just the bare Standard PL that LibriVox lists?

(for example, on this file I would mention that some Noise Reduction would make it even more wonderful than it already is, as it does register a fairly high level in Checker, and I can explain exactly how to use that if it's a new editing trick to you)
That would be very helpful! After I fix that, I can reupload it and you can just tell me how you think it sounds. :D
(But I'll need you to tell me how to do it first. :?)

Thanks
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Sure! Here you go with Noise Reduction explanation. You'll love this effect!

(This is a tutorial for using an editing tool in Audacity. If you're using a different editing platform, you should be able to find a similar effect in the program.)

Noise Reduction is a two-step process. It is great at cleaning out background noise so your recording is clean and clear, but you do need to watch out how strongly you apply it, because if you do it too much, it will distort your recording so that it starts sounding tinny, with Darth Vader breathing, and even like space monkeys are invading your reading!
Open your recording file, and then:
  • Zoom the track bigger so you can easily highlight one of the longer silence periods. (Just click and drag your mouse across that stretch.)
  • In the Effects Menu, select "Noise Reduction"
  • Click on "Get Noise Profile"
  • Now click Control-A to highlight the entire track.
  • Re-open the Noise Reduction effect and for now use these numbers:
    Noise Reduction: 12
    Sensitivity: 6
    Frequency smoothing: 3
  • Click OK
Then you're ready to re-export to mp3 and upload the file the same way you did the first time. :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

Thanks! :D

And here is the fixed file:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/myfathersdragon_01_gannett_128kb.mp3

It really sounds way better with the noise reduced.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Beautiful! :)

And Chapter 1 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

LCaulkins wrote: June 9th, 2023, 7:14 am Beautiful! :)

And Chapter 1 is PL OK :thumbs:
Thanks! I will work on the next chapter soon.
But this weekend is busy for me, so I may not get it to you until next week. :|
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

No worries. :) I'm not going anywhere, so do the pace that works for you
~Lynette * -
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

Well, I've recorded chapter 2. (I guess I had more time to record than I thought I did. :lol:)

Thanks
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Chapter 2 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

LCaulkins wrote: June 11th, 2023, 6:46 pm Chapter 2 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Norah Leigh ~
"Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen!" Luke 24:5-6
[DR, Children]The Box-Car Children (Only 6 small roles open!)
[Group, History]In the Days of Queen Elizabeth (Full)
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

Hi Lynette! I'm going out of town next week, so I will not be able to work on My Father's Dragon or Clouds of Witness.
Just wanting to let you know! :)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

And I have a mini family reunion at my house starting tomorrow, so it's perfect timing. :)
~Lynette * -
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

That is great. Well, I hope you have a good time! :D
~Norah Leigh ~
"Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen!" Luke 24:5-6
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

I am checking in. I haven't had time to record lately, but I just wanted to let you both know that I still want to do this. :)
~Norah Leigh ~