[FULL][DR] A Fourth Form Friendship by Angela Brazil - rap

Plays and other dramatic works
victoriaalicebell

Post by victoriaalicebell »

Characters:
MAJOR
Aldred - (Chapters 1-17)
Phœbe Stanhope - (Chapters 2,4,5,6,8,9,10,11,12,16 )
Ursula Bramley - (Chapters 2,4,7, 8,9,10,11,15,16)
Lorna Hallam - (Chapters 2,4,8,9,10,11,12,15,16)
Agnes Maxwell - (Chapters 2,8,9,10,12,16)
Dora Maxwell. - (Chapters 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11,12,16 )
Miss Drummond - (Chapters 2,3,4,5,6,9,10,11,12,16,17)
Myfanwy - (Chapters 5,6,8,9,10,16 )
Mabel Farrington - (Chapters 2-17 )

MINOR
Esther Vaudrey - (Chapters 9,10, 16)
Keith - (Chapters 1,7,8)
Miss Webb - (Chapter 12 )
Mr Bowden - (Chapter 1 )
Lady Muriel - (Chapters 13,14 )
The Vicar - (Chapter 1 )
Mr. Farrington - (Chapter 13 )
Mrs. Silvester - (Chapter 1 )
Dr. Rawlins - (Chapters 14)
Miss Perkins - (Chapter 1)
Burke - (Chapter 14 )
Francis - (Chapter 15 )
Piers - (Chapter 15 )
Godfrey - (Chapter 15)
Pritchard - (Chapter 15)
Docter 2 - (Chapter 16, 17 )
Crowd - (Chapter 16)
Fisherman - (Chapter 15 )
Mademoiselle - (Chapters 4,7,10 )
Nurse - (Chapter 17 )
Miss Reade - (Chapter 3 )
Rector - (Chapter 17 )
Freda - (Chapters 5,10,16 )
Blanche - (Chapters 5,10)
Purser - (Chapter 6)
Old Sailor - (Chapter 6 )
Miss Bardsley - (Chapters 7,11,16,17 )
Aunt Bertha - (Chapter 8)
Nellie - (Chapter 9 )
Audience (Two) - (Chapter 9 )
Six Form (Two) - (Chapter 10 )
Last edited by victoriaalicebell on June 8th, 2023, 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
HenriettaStrauss

Post by HenriettaStrauss »

Can I read Nellie?
Thanks,
Henrietta
~ Henrietta Strauss
DRs:
[Open] Mazli by Johanna Spryi. 9 roles open!
"To read or not to read, that is the question..."
victoriaalicebell

HenriettaStrauss wrote: May 30th, 2023, 6:24 pm Can I read Nellie?
Thanks,
Henrietta
Hello! Welcome to Librivox!
I will reserve her for you. However, before you record, please go over to the 1-minute test forum and record a test piece. viewforum.php?f=21
This is not required, but it is a chance to make sure that you have all of your technical settings correct for recording at Librivox.
How would you like yourself listed in the catalog? Would you like your real name, forum name, or something else?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

victoriaalicebell wrote: May 29th, 2023, 4:58 am
silverquill wrote: May 28th, 2023, 10:47 pm
victoriaalicebell wrote: May 28th, 2023, 1:18 pm The script is ready! There are 47 characters counting the narrator.
Can you provide a link to the scripts so we, potential readers, can take a look at the parts.
It would also help if you had a description of the characters, whether they are major or minor. And, of course we need to know which chapters they are in. Will casting be gender specific or gender neutral, or a mix?

Anne's suggestion is a good one!

DR's are complicated and need to be run correctly to avoid a mess. I've been BC for a lot of projects, but still don't have the courage to undertake a full DR project. :roll:
The script is at the top of the page (called 'Chapter Scripts'). Preferably gender specific.
You will also need the link to the source book as well as the "scripts."
I would concur with Lynette's comment about color coding. Some people visually have difficulty distinguishing colors, and some of the color combinations are not readable -- black text on a dark background, for instance. I'll see if I can find examples of other script formats. And, while it is good to be consistent with colors across chapters, esp for major characters, for minor ones, I think you can use a color previously used for better legibility.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
victoriaalicebell

silverquill wrote: May 30th, 2023, 10:26 pm
victoriaalicebell wrote: May 29th, 2023, 4:58 am
silverquill wrote: May 28th, 2023, 10:47 pm

Can you provide a link to the scripts so we, potential readers, can take a look at the parts.
It would also help if you had a description of the characters, whether they are major or minor. And, of course we need to know which chapters they are in. Will casting be gender specific or gender neutral, or a mix?

Anne's suggestion is a good one!

DR's are complicated and need to be run correctly to avoid a mess. I've been BC for a lot of projects, but still don't have the courage to undertake a full DR project. :roll:
The script is at the top of the page (called 'Chapter Scripts'). Preferably gender specific.
You will also need the link to the source book as well as the "scripts."
I would concur with Lynette's comment about color coding. Some people visually have difficulty distinguishing colors, and some of the color combinations are not readable -- black text on a dark background, for instance. I'll see if I can find examples of other script formats. And, while it is good to be consistent with colors across chapters, esp for major characters, for minor ones, I think you can use a color previously used for better legibility.
OK, where should I put the source book's link?
Thanks for your help!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You are still a long way away from accepting readers

If you can't read the guidelines why don't you go to the DR you were involved in and see what you need to do?
viewtopic.php?t=93156

1. So you will need to ask for more sections for the magic window.

2. You also need you or someone else to act as narrator - the person who takes the role will read almost all the book which is a big ask

3. You or someone else needs to edit all the individual files - at a guess about 200 of them - together to make the chapters

4. the PLing needs to be done carefully so as to be sure all the bits of a part are recorded

Anne
victoriaalicebell

annise wrote: May 31st, 2023, 5:47 am You are still a long way away from accepting readers

If you can't read the guidelines why don't you go to the DR you were involved in and see what you need to do?
viewtopic.php?t=93156

1. So you will need to ask for more sections for the magic window.

2. You also need you or someone else to act as narrator - the person who takes the role will read almost all the book which is a big ask

3. You or someone else needs to edit all the individual files - at a guess about 200 of them - together to make the chapters

4. the PLing needs to be done carefully so as to be sure all the bits of a part are recorded

Anne
I have looked at the guidelines. I understand what the rules are... There doesn't seem like anything else for me to do until I get proof-listeners, editors, and a MC.
Thank you for your advice! :D
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

This looks like a lot of fun! :D
I would like to read someone for it, but I was wondering if you are planning on letting people ask for more than one part if they are not in the same chapter?

Norah
~Norah Leigh ~
"Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen!" Luke 24:5-6
[DR, Children]The Box-Car Children (Only 6 small roles open!)
[Group, History]In the Days of Queen Elizabeth (Full)
victoriaalicebell

Certainly, I am perfectly fine with that! Claim away!
Thanks,
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

I would like to claim Agnes; she sounds like a sweet girl. :9:

Thanks
victoriaalicebell

norahnelson wrote: May 31st, 2023, 7:43 am I would like to claim Agnes; she sounds like a sweet girl. :9:

Thanks
Agnes is yours; She does.
Your voice would fit her perfectly!
Thank you!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Hello again! Glad to see more dramatic works in the... works. :lol:
Everybody wants to see you succeed, so please excuse anything that sounds dismissive. Some of this stuff might be clearly stated, and other stuff we only think is clear because we've done it before or are doing it now.
victoriaalicebell wrote: May 31st, 2023, 4:28 am OK, where should I put the source book's link?
You can edit the first post to put it just above or below your link to the scripts. That Hearts of Three project does exactly this: viewtopic.php?t=77192
You'll notice that project tells readers to use the color coded scripts, but final PL to use the source text. That kind of "here's who this is for" helps make it easier for folks to figure out what they need to know in their particular role. :)

While you're editing the first post, as annise says, you'll want to change this bit:
Number of sections (files) this project will have: 17
That's where you've requested a number of sections to be set up in the magic window. But you'll need sections not just for the 17 finished chapters, but also one section per character in each chapter. Here's another good example of MW setup for a DR: viewtopic.php?t=96808
You can add more sections later if you need, but it's much faster to start with a reasonable estimate and have them all created for you at once. :wink:

victoriaalicebell wrote: May 31st, 2023, 6:23 am There doesn't seem like anything else for me to do until I get proof-listeners, editors, and a MC.
If those folks are willing to join as-is, then perhaps there isn't anything else you need to do until then. But anything you can do to provide clarity or reduce their workload will make it more likely that folks will join in those roles. Here are some suggestions:

1. I see you've advertised for proof-listeners and an editor! If I were you, I'd edit the post so that it spells out that you'd like a parts-PL (rather than saying 'finished sections', as it does now), and that you'd like an editor to put together all the voices once they're in. My editing plate is also full at the moment, but that's the kind of info I'd have to read all through this thread for otherwise.

2. Narrating a DR is all the work of reading the book solo, but without the fun of voicing the characters. An editor or MC may want to know that you've got someone committed to do it, so that everyone else's work doesn't go to waste. Are you looking for someone to narrate? If you don't get someone, would you be willing and able to do it yourself?

3. I think what LCaulkins means by a "play-like script" is that you can add a cue before each of a character's lines, like this:
Neil: "Better pull yourself together. There's work ahead for all hands."
The original text doesn't have "Neil:", but it makes it easy for the reader to do a search (Ctrl+F) to find all their lines.
You can also color or highlight just the name, and not the line the character says. That way, you don't have to worry too much about color choice making the line hard to read. That's what we did on the Hardy Boys books you joined me on. :wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

victoriaalicebell wrote: May 31st, 2023, 9:10 am
norahnelson wrote: May 31st, 2023, 7:43 am I would like to claim Agnes; she sounds like a sweet girl. :9:

Thanks
Agnes is yours; She does.
Your voice would fit her perfectly!
Thank you!
Thanks, I will get started on her as soon as you want me to.
Would you rather have me wait until you have a DPL and an editor, or do you not care?

Norah
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks, I will get started on her as soon as you want me to.
Would you rather have me wait until you have a DPL and an editor, or do you not care?
You cannot upload anything until the project is ready, with an MC and a Magic Window. If you want to record it ahead of time, that's fine, but you can't do anything with it until the project is set up.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
victoriaalicebell

redrun wrote: May 31st, 2023, 9:34 am Hello again! Glad to see more dramatic works in the... works. :lol:
Everybody wants to see you succeed, so please excuse anything that sounds dismissive. Some of this stuff might be clearly stated, and other stuff we only think is clear because we've done it before or are doing it now.
victoriaalicebell wrote: May 31st, 2023, 4:28 am OK, where should I put the source book's link?
You can edit the first post to put it just above or below your link to the scripts. That Hearts of Three project does exactly this: viewtopic.php?t=77192
You'll notice that project tells readers to use the color coded scripts, but final PL to use the source text. That kind of "here's who this is for" helps make it easier for folks to figure out what they need to know in their particular role. :)

While you're editing the first post, as annise says, you'll want to change this bit:
Number of sections (files) this project will have: 17
That's where you've requested a number of sections to be set up in the magic window. But you'll need sections not just for the 17 finished chapters, but also one section per character in each chapter. Here's another good example of MW setup for a DR: viewtopic.php?t=96808
You can add more sections later if you need, but it's much faster to start with a reasonable estimate and have them all created for you at once. :wink:

victoriaalicebell wrote: May 31st, 2023, 6:23 am There doesn't seem like anything else for me to do until I get proof-listeners, editors, and a MC.
If those folks are willing to join as-is, then perhaps there isn't anything else you need to do until then. But anything you can do to provide clarity or reduce their workload will make it more likely that folks will join in those roles. Here are some suggestions:

1. I see you've advertised for proof-listeners and an editor! If I were you, I'd edit the post so that it spells out that you'd like a parts-PL (rather than saying 'finished sections', as it does now), and that you'd like an editor to put together all the voices once they're in. My editing plate is also full at the moment, but that's the kind of info I'd have to read all through this thread for otherwise.

2. Narrating a DR is all the work of reading the book solo, but without the fun of voicing the characters. An editor or MC may want to know that you've got someone committed to do it, so that everyone else's work doesn't go to waste. Are you looking for someone to narrate? If you don't get someone, would you be willing and able to do it yourself?

3. I think what LCaulkins means by a "play-like script" is that you can add a cue before each of a character's lines, like this:
Neil: "Better pull yourself together. There's work ahead for all hands."
The original text doesn't have "Neil:", but it makes it easy for the reader to do a search (Ctrl+F) to find all their lines.
You can also color or highlight just the name, and not the line the character says. That way, you don't have to worry too much about color choice making the line hard to read. That's what we did on the Hardy Boys books you joined me on. :wink:
This is very helpful! Thank you so much!

I was going to edit my advertisements like you asked me to;
It says that the conversation is locked. I don't know how to edit it.