The Cambridge Medieval History

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
txphred

Post by txphred »

LibriVox has the first volume of The Cambridge Medieval History. I know this Cambridge history series is a monumental work and has been edited and revised several times. I've read the entire series and several volumes of different editions... Anyway - Is anyone interested else interested in adding some more volumes to the LibriVox collection? I didn't find a copy in the Gutenberg collection, but I did find the following in the Internet Archive:

[u]The Cambridge Medieval History v2[/u]
by Bury, J. B. (John Bagnell), 1861-1927

Publication date 1913
Usage Public Domain Mark 1.0 Creative Commons License publicdomain
Publisher New York : Macmillan
Collection Ohio State University Library

The Rise of the Saracens and the Foundation of the Western Empire.
Planned by J.B. Bury ; edited by H.M. Gwatkin, J.P. Whitney.
From the Brittle Books digitization program at the Ohio State University Libraries

I'm going to download the text and the pdf files and see how it looks. This might be a very long project...

Yours,

Fred
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

It would most likely be best to read from the scan. The text and pdf on IA are typically not proofread and contain uncorrected OCR errors.

https://archive.org/details/cambridgemedieva02buryuoft/page/n7/mode/2up

There is also a copy on Google Books

https://books.google.com/books?id=7Zfh20mwPuoC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
Jo
txphred

Post by txphred »

I downloaded the pdf and txt files. I took a short look at the files and did a test copying a page from the pdf and pasting it on a Wordpro lwp page. I'll download the Google book file. It's worth pursuing. I'll see what happens.

Thanks,

Fred
txphred

Post by txphred »

I looked at all the files I could find. Of the files with no copyright considerations, the cleanest and easiest to read was the CambridgeMedievalHistory_v2.pdf from IA. I spent an hour or so proofing the text file of that, downloaded from the same page. Using most of my free time I would estimate that several months might be required per chapter. I compared the page scans to the pdf pages and fond no difference. There is another file I found that is a very good scan, but I need to check it out.

I need to find out if anyone is interested in coordinating this. Maybe I should see if I'm qualified to learnhow to do that myself...

Fred
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28