COMPLETE: Sketches of Gotham by Owen Davis -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

johnb2 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 2:49 pm Hi Wayne
chapter 22 @ 15:43
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sketchesofgotham_22_davis_128kb.mp3
are you still driving the 18 wheeler? I am going to have my left eye cataract removed tomorrow AM. Wish me luck!
Hi John,

Very nicely read. I did find one small thing that I think should be changed, especially in light of the phrase immediately following:

3:02.5 which does the work or turns the trick, You said and

No, I have retired from that and am now enjoying myself volunteering and playing Pickleball. Well, maybe that last phrase isn't exactly correct at the moment. I won't go though all the gory details, but on April 11, I was playing Pickleball, fell and ended up with 7 rib fractures and spending 6 days in the hospital. Even Pickleball can be a dangerous game. All of the above stuff is on hold for a couple of months or so. :(

My RLE surgery went great, and I am so glad I got it done. Good luck with yours!

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

Hi Wayne

chapter 22 @ 15:42

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sketchesofgotham_22_davis_128kb.mp3

Hi Wayne, my cataracts are gone but now my vision is baluxxed
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

johnb2 wrote: April 21st, 2023, 1:05 pm Hi Wayne

Got it. I'll mark it Ready for spot PL.
If I were you I'd claim a Gold-Killer role. Just sayin'
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

johnb2 wrote: April 21st, 2023, 1:05 pm Hi Wayne

Quick and easy fix.

Section 22 is now PLOK :thumbs:

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

ToddHW wrote: April 19th, 2023, 3:27 pm Here is Section 6 14:48

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sketchesofgotham_06_davis_128kb.mp3

Thanks, Todd
Hi there Todd,

After all these years, this is the first non "Dramatic" reading I have heard you do. Great job, of course, but I did hear one minor slip up:

2:54.5 the finish is in the big city, as all good finishes are. You said story

Moral: Don't mess with the Ladies!!!

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Glad you enjoyed it. Fixed and uploaded for Spot PL.

Thanks, Todd
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

ToddHW wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 1:41 pm Glad you enjoyed it. Fixed and uploaded for Spot PL.

Thanks, Todd
Noted. Thanks.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

ToddHW wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 1:41 pm Glad you enjoyed it. Fixed and uploaded for Spot PL.
Thanks, Todd
Seamless fix. Section 6 is now PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne
CleverUsername

Post by CleverUsername »

Here is section 10 for proof listening, length is 13min and 16sec: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sketchesofgotham_10_davis_128kb_mp3_.mp3

Thanks!

Kassandra
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

CleverUsername wrote: April 30th, 2023, 12:56 pm Here is section 10 for proof listening, length is 13min and 16sec: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sketchesofgotham_10_davis_128kb_mp3_.mp3

Thanks!

Kassandra
Thanks go to you, Kassandra! There does appear to be a '_mp3_' tin the filename that doesn't really belong there. Believe it or not, that's a fairly common mistake. Who knows why? For this project, and for future ones, what you really want to be most careful about are that the section number in the filename and the MC selected for upload are correct. Those are the problems that are tougher to fix.

You are good for now. Let's see how PL goes. If you get PLOK on this recording our Meta-Coordinator (MC), Jo, will fix the filename for us, I'm sure. If our Dedicated Proof Listener (DPL), Wayne (Kalamareader) asks for changes in the recording within that file you can correct the filename when you make those fixes. Agreed?

Best wishes,
Brian
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

BrianFullen wrote: April 30th, 2023, 1:51 pm Thanks go to you, Kassandra! There does appear to be a '_mp3_' tin the filename that doesn't really belong there. Believe it or not, that's a fairly common mistake. Who knows why? For this project, and for future ones, what you really want to be most careful about are that the section number in the filename and the MC selected for upload are correct. Those are the problems that are tougher to fix.
Best wishes,
Brian
Brian and Kassandra (if you see this),

The reason for the .mp3 is this. The advice as to how to get the correct file name in the LV is to 'cut and paste' the 'example' in the first post ie:

Filename: sketchesofgotham_##_davis_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. sketchesofgotham_01_davis_128kb.mp3)

and then fill in the ##. That is all well and good, except in Audacity when you enter that cut and paste, Audacity "helps" you by already having the .mp3 file extension in the box where you are pasting the "sketchesofgotham_##_davis_128kb.mp3" , hence it comes out "sketchesofgotham_##_davis_128kb.mp3.mp3

So when you cut and paste you either have to leave off the .mp3 from the First Post, or delete the second one before you save it.

I hope that will help and that it is understandable.

Wayne
Wayne
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Kalamareader wrote: April 30th, 2023, 4:39 pm
BrianFullen wrote: April 30th, 2023, 1:51 pm Thanks go to you, Kassandra! There does appear to be a '_mp3_' tin the filename that doesn't really belong there. Believe it or not, that's a fairly common mistake. Who knows why? For this project, and for future ones, what you really want to be most careful about are that the section number in the filename and the MC selected for upload are correct. Those are the problems that are tougher to fix.
Best wishes,
Brian
Brian and Kassandra (if you see this),

The reason for the .mp3 is this. The advice as to how to get the correct file name in the LV is to 'cut and paste' the 'example' in the first post ie:

Filename: sketchesofgotham_##_davis_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. sketchesofgotham_01_davis_128kb.mp3)

and then fill in the ##. That is all well and good, except in Audacity when you enter that cut and paste, Audacity "helps" you by already having the .mp3 file extension in the box where you are pasting the "sketchesofgotham_##_davis_128kb.mp3" , hence it comes out "sketchesofgotham_##_davis_128kb.mp3.mp3

So when you cut and paste you either have to leave off the .mp3 from the First Post, or delete the second one before you save it.

I hope that will help and that it is understandable.

Wayne
It absolutely makes sense that copy/paste is a contributor and especially for new volunteers. I'm still relatively new, but I should know better by now. I can find all sorts of ways to mess up file names. The one that catches me lately is when I'm narrating for multiple projects concurrently. Audacity remembers that last folder that I was storing in on my machine. Sometimes when I'm doing an Export -> as MP3 I get tripped up. What happens is that I first put in the file name and then realize that I have to change folders. But when I navigate to the new folder for the Export, Audacity resets the file name that I had entered and I don't always catch that. In fact, I just messed up a filename that way the other day. For sure, the best is to check carefully when in the Add File(s) dialog box of the Uploader. But sometimes I get careless.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

CleverUsername wrote: April 30th, 2023, 12:56 pm Here is section 10 for proof listening, length is 13min and 16sec: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sketchesofgotham_10_davis_128kb_mp3_.mp3

Thanks!

Kassandra
Hi Kassandra,

Welcome to Librivox. Well, this reading certainly is a little different from your first. :shock:

I enjoyed your reading, especially the little French accent at the end.

Before we get to the other stuff, just a little comment on your reading. Your voice is very pleasant to listen to, and your sentence phrasing is good. But there is just one little general comment. Many people when they beginning reading for listening purposes, have a tendency to really drag. Long pauses between phrases in a sentence, pauses between sentences, and sometimes extremely long pauses between paragraphs (sometimes over two seconds). You certainly didn't have that problem. To my ear, you kind of rushed it a little so as not to have the pausing problem. A little break between sentences and maybe a quarter second or so between paragraphs might help just a little. Some times it sounded a little frenetic, like you had somewhere to go. Not really necessary to correct here, but for future consideration.

When it comes to correcting errors, it is best to start at the last one on the list and work forward towards the beginning of the recordings, as that leave the 'time stamps' correct.

Here are a few things you might want to look at:

At the beginning of your recording could you cut the silence down to between .5 a 1 seconds?

1:14.5 Vice has a degrading and demoralizing influence and its victim, You said on. Errors like this are easily made. As we read the sentence, we 'see' what we expect to see in the context of the sentence, especially if we read it 'cold'. In this case, there is kind of an implied comma after 'influence, and then the clause after victim kind of explains why the word is 'and' not on.

5:53 and was sorry for what had happened, You added the word so between was and sorry. And left out the word had. In Standard Pling we are to only point out errors that change the meaning of the sentence, but the final decision is up to the reader. You can not agree with my idea and leave it in, just make a comment to let me know. This is an example of a case like that. The words don't really make a large difference, but they are different from the text, soooooo your call.

6:02.5 The celebration consisted in tucking away many cocktails and highballs, You added the word of between away and many. I have found that the written word of a century or more ago is not the same structure or choice of words we use today. It can really be tricky to read exactly what is on the page rather than how we would say it today.

7:14 She let it be understood at the start You added the word that between understood and at

7:57.5 If I see you speaking to any of the other girls, You left out the words any of. Minor, but important I think.

8:39.5 Then it was that the quarrels began, The first part of this is muddled. Like you made and error then tried to correct it. In a case like this, just go ahead and re-record the whole sent' or pharase.

9:16 Her neck hurt her, and when she looked in the mirror she saw the marks of his strong fingers You left out the word her

10:08 and who makes merchandise and capital of her favors. You left out and

11:44 was there a brief struggle You said there was. Again minor, but give a different feeling to the sentence.

Also, running your recording through Checker, it show a volume of about 87.6 dB, which is at the lower range of the LV target which is 89.0 dB. So if you could also raise the volume up about 1.5 dB, that would be great as well.

Also, if you didn't see it, you might read the note I left above about the .mp3 file name extension. Since you will me making changes to the recording, when you re-upload this, just cut off the last .mp3 from the file name.

Please don't get discouraged. You sound like you are enjoying this, so keep it up and I am looking forward to listening to more of your work.

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
CleverUsername

Post by CleverUsername »

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it, there is so much to learn!! I have a couple of questions: 1. What is the checker? Is that a part of audacity? 2. Should I just re-record? I haven't recorded a separate audio file and integrated it into another before and I am a little intimidated.

Sorry if I am asking something obvious, some times I get lost in the librivox info page.

Warmly,

Kassandra
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

CleverUsername wrote: May 1st, 2023, 5:45 pm Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it, there is so much to learn!! I have a couple of questions: 1. What is the checker? Is that a part of audacity? 2. Should I just re-record? I haven't recorded a separate audio file and integrated it into another before and I am a little intimidated.

Sorry if I am asking something obvious, some times I get lost in the librivox info page.

Warmly,

Kassandra
No doubt Wayne will get back to you in detail soon, Kassandra. Meantime you can get Checker (https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/) just scroll down the page til you see MacOS and you should be ready when he comes back with answers to your other questions.