Genre title change

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

The genre I use the most is
*Non-fiction > Religion > Christianity - Other
I was wondering if it would make more sense to change the title to
*Non-fiction > Religion > Christianity - General
"Other" implies a contrast to something. I suppose in this case it's the other two genres
*Non-fiction > Religion > Christianity - Commentary
*Non-fiction > Religion > Christianity - Biographies
But my feeling is that a genre title should stand alone rather than implying other genres in the same category.

Just a suggestion.
Show these lonely projects some love!
Pascal and the Port Royalists Intellectual biography
A Review of Ecclesiastical History (John Newton)
John Inglesant
DPL
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I see what you mean with "Other" being a contrast to, well, the other two (which was kind of the point when we set this up). :)

On the other hand, "general" would imply a category above both the commentaries and the bios - to me as a non-native at least. As in a hierarchy, where you start with the general before you're getting more specific.
Other (:wink:) ideas?

I'm not sure we can make changes like this at this point, though.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I think other was used throughout the genre table to act as shorthand for (what doesn't fit in the boxes mentioned) - there is no implication that it is either better or worse than the other 2 :D
General to me doesn't have the same meaning
And changing all existing genres would either mean changing records already catalogued or have searches produce incorrect results .

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

And changing all existing genres would either mean changing records already catalogued or have searches produce incorrect results .
I'm 99% sure that if one were to go in and change the genre in the appropriate place, it would instantly change throughout the projects. :)

I'm wondering if there should be a further split. It's hard to tell how many projects have that genre, since each item in a collection is returned in the search. But there are 61 pages of "Christianity - Other".

Some possibilities after browsing the genre:
Hymns, Carols, & Poetry
Church History
Sermons & Homilies
Theology

The genre system was meant to be fluid, with the ability to split into new genres when more general ones get too unwieldy.
Very limited computer access Wed-Sun, May 15-19.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

only if other was replaced with 1 category surely ? or are you saying that general would be identical with other ?

Adding some others would be good , if other was left but unless all the existing others had the same criteria applied - people searching for say sermons would still need to search other ? Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Currently we have:

*Non-fiction > Religion > Christianity - Other

What I am suggesting is something like this:

*Non-fiction > Religion > Christianity - [new genre: Hymns, History, Sermons, or Theology - which one (or two?) to be determined]
*Non-fiction > Religion > Christianity - Other (or name changed to "General")

Once the new sub-genre is created, someone (I'm willing) would go through the projects in the database that have Christianity - Other and change the ones that need changing to the new sub-genre.

The "Other" stuff would remain there; we'd just take out the projects from "Other" and put them into the new sub-genre(s).
Very limited computer access Wed-Sun, May 15-19.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I recently had a request for Theology. Theology does not specifically imply Christianity - by definition it is 1> "the study of the nature of God and religious belief. 2.religious beliefs and theory when systematically developed." It could be therefore be one level up, i.e.,

*Non-fiction>Religion>Theology

I always wondered what was meant by "Other" under Christianity. I would agree with changing it to General or Miscellaneous or just leave it as an option without a sub-category for everything that wasn't Commentary or Biographies.

For reference:
Dewey Decimal System for Religion
200 Religion
200 is devoted to Religion.

210 Philosophy & theory of religion
220 The Bible
230 Christianity
240 Christian practice & observance
250 Christian pastoral practice & religious orders
260 Christian organization, social work & worship
270 History of Christianity
280 Christianity denominations