Clarification on Prooflistening please.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

In which case, if I ruled the world, the section would be opened up for someone else to read correctly. :wink:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Actually, if the original reader can't be contacted, shouldn't another reader record the missing line(s)/paragraph and have them pasted in the file, at the very least?
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

ezwa wrote:Actually, if the original reader can't be contacted, shouldn't another reader record the missing line(s)/paragraph and have them pasted in the file, at the very least?
That's what I would have done. I hate to second-guess somebody else's decision, but I would not have let a missing paragraph slide. [edit: except maybe under extraordinary circumstances, like a language that's hard to find someone else to read.] Did the MC know about it?
Laurie Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

ezwa wrote:Actually, if the original reader can't be contacted, shouldn't another reader record the missing line(s)/paragraph and have them pasted in the file, at the very least?
In most cases if you did this it would sound very odd . I see standard Pling as checking that the file is listenable to and makes sense . I know if I read along with the text it would annoy me if it wasn't exactly the same so I use my ears not my eyes and then I don't know :D But I find most people are anxious to fix anything I mention.
I have more problems with the very few files that I find unlistenable to but it is a group of volunteers and I am madly impressed with the quality of nearly all I PL or download and enjoy.
So try again Alana - if you didn't like that MC/BC's way of dealing with it there are plenty of others or even give them another try - there may have been reasons they didn't want to post which you would agree with if you knew :D

Anne
MariaLa

Post by MariaLa »

lezer wrote: January 14th, 2009, 3:09 pm Hi Marian,
Here's some information on our prooflistening policy: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/GuidesforProoflisteners

Regarding correcting errors: mostly errors are fixed, especially if they change the meaning of a text, or are disturbing. However, we aim for a 99% accuracy rate (same as Gutenberg does with their online texts I believe). If you look at it that way, it means that in a 20 min recording, we would let slip by 12 sec of errors and still be 99% acurate! 12 sec! That's long... So I think in general we're way above the 99% accuracy.

Regards,
Anna

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and I was going through tips and quiz for prooflistening. And like Marian here I'm wondering, not only the meaning of a text should be preserved but also the wording, right? The guide says that it's not necessary that I correct "cake and wine" for "wine and cake", I did though in my practice training with template and all. ;) I see the point Anna makes here, absolutely. I hope this is the right place for my comment/doubt. Is it wrong proolistening if I point out to this kind of mistakes?

Thank you!
Maria
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Maria! Welcome to Librivox!

I wouldn't say it's "wrong proof-listening" but I would say it's an optional change on the reader's part. I'm personally reluctant to fix small mistakes like this, because my edits are obvious and jarring :oops:

So if it depends on the reader, soloist or Book coordinator, you can ask what level of proof-listening they would like. In the Standard PL level, you are not required to follow with the text, so you wouldn't perceive small mistakes like that.
MariaLa

Post by MariaLa »

Rapunzelina wrote: March 9th, 2023, 1:55 am Hi Maria! Welcome to Librivox!

I wouldn't say it's "wrong proof-listening" but I would say it's an optional change on the reader's part. I'm personally reluctant to fix small mistakes like this, because my edits are obvious and jarring :oops:

So if it depends on the reader, soloist or Book coordinator, you can ask what level of proof-listening they would like. In the Standard PL level, you are not required to follow with the text, so you wouldn't perceive small mistakes like that.
Hi Rapunzelina! Thank you :)

Well, thanks for the clarification!

Maria